Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone feeling overwhelmed???

Options
  • 29-09-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Started back in to 2nd year and boy what a step up.

Beginning to feel so overwhelmed with the work load and frustrated with the lack of copying ability in UCD, and blackboard constantly crashing in JJ Library not to mention the lack of books!

Basic requirements I might add, copying and Blackboard???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Talk to your friends, talk to your lecturers, talk to your student advisor.

Talk to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Talk to your busdriver

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes! 2nd year is making 1st look like child's play! Although, it is (almost) the end of Week 3, which is 25% through the semester - those weeks flew :eek:

I'll try talking to my bus driver :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

1st year has been quite underwhelming so far. My maths modules seem like they are being aimed at 12 year olds..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Nonsense. My first year was by far most difficult year. But then again we did a few second year core modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

I feel the exact same. In first year and a 'mature' student (I'm 24) and I'm finding it really difficult trying to get in to the rhythm of things. The pressure of reaching a certain standard is getting me more than anything. Not to mention I feel like the ONLY person in there who hasn't made any friends! Too old for the 1st years, too young for other mature students. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

JaneLane wrote: »
    Not to mention I feel like the ONLY person in there who hasn't made any friends! Too old for the 1st years, too young for other mature students. Very annoying.

I hear ya sister! I'm 23 and I'm like the youngest person by far in my class :(

Riveta wrote: »
    The youngest?! How old is everyone else? We should team up and create a society for people in their mid-twenties! There has to be more of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Riveta wrote: »

You must be doing a post grad course, right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just be careful to keep on top of things. It gets hard in second year. You can breeze through first year easily enough but the work demands more effort after that. I can assure you from personal experience that you want to talk to some friends or even the counselor (who, btw, is there for that kind of stuff. I thought I'd be laughed out but I wasn't at all) now, before it gets out of hand.

Don't forget to have fun too! Don't stress about the copying and the crappy internet in the library. It all works out :)

• Advertisement

Ya I'm doing a masters in sociology! Ya totally! I think we need our own soc. We could call it... confused and lonely adults in their mid twenties. I think it has a certain ring to it! ;) Guys gizza PM if yiz wanna hang out! I'm usually outside the arts block or libo smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

+1 on the Billy no mates! haha, I'm 28, mature student, and feel like I'm 50 walking around the place, being an 18 year old (the majority age in my course) and a 28 year old is a big difference, near impossible to make friends. Only really bothers me on Tuesdays when I'm in from 9 to 6 and it's a long day to walk around on your own.

As for the course, I'm in 1st year and it's ok, but I do feel the pressure to keep up with the assignments / workload and I haven't been "studying" over things we covered a whole lot so have constant fear of falling behind. The maths I'm taking is also a bit of a struggle, it's mostly honours leaving cert standard, but then I haven't done this in 10 years and her teaching style is very different to the way I was thought. :(

Hopefully I'll get through it all though, and definitely let me know if there's a OAP loners society set up, because I'd very much like to join!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think we should start a thread for us 'technically mature' students, i'm 31 and despite the wife and child i keep forgetting i'm not a teenager

Ah here, this needs to happen! Lets get the ball rolling! I'm sick of floating around looking for things to do apart from sit in the library or wander around looking like I'm on my way to somewhere! hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

[Jackass] wrote: »
    +1 on the Billy no mates! haha, I'm 28, mature student, and feel like I'm 50 walking around the place, being an 18 year old (the majority age in my course) and a 28 year old is a big difference, near impossible to make friends. Only really bothers me on Tuesdays when I'm in from 9 to 6 and it's a long day to walk around on your own.

Obviously you aren't aware that a lot of 18/19 year old first year students are in that position. Sure, there are people in first year who come into college in groups - but in reality it is rare (you would all have to go into the exact same course), and many people in first year think 'why is everyone in a group but me?'

This is particularly true for people used to the closed system of school where everyone knows everyone else, and everyone has a position on the hierarchy (which can be jeopardised by looking like a loner).

I would really advise you join a sports club and a society relating to your course. You are legitimate by being a student, and your standing in a club or society is predicated upon how good you are, not your age.

Unfortunately, you will inevitably be in the position of sometimes feeling on the outs; as if you cannot legitimately engage in college life as it's "geared for youngsters" (who are almost all adults btw), particularly since you will have a couple of immature first years (like I was) who will shy away from anyone who seems to be 'mature'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think this "I'm mid-twenties and don't fit in to any group" is a cop-out. I'm 24 and not having any perceived trouble on the social front. I started college knowing only one person, but I'm getting to know more and more people by getting involved. Be humble and talk to your fellow students, younger or older, on the same level, and with respect.

And as the previous poster said: join societies, join societies, join societies.

Ya the misfits society! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Actually a mature student myself
    Trying to keep a job too, pay a mortgage and 2 kids!!
    I felt like this last year too and managed to get it done.
    I suppose we're expecting too much of ourselves

Advertisement