Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours being cut due to bad time keeping

Options
  • 29-09-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I work full time in a clothes shop and recently my manager took me to one side and had a word with me about my bad time keeping. I admitted that it was bad as I am usually running late in the mornings.
    My manager informed me that he would be cutting my hours until he sees an improvement from me and he will be giving them to other members of staff who show more enthusiasm for the job.
    I'm just wondering if he is allowed to do this? Can he cut my hours as punishment for my bad time keeping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I work full time in a clothes shop and recently my manager took me to one side and had a word with me about my bad time keeping. I admitted that it was bad as I am usually running late in the mornings.
    My manager informed me that he would be cutting my hours until he sees an improvement from me and he will be giving them to other members of staff who show more enthusiasm for the job.
    I'm just wondering if he is allowed to do this? Can he cut my hours as punishment for my bad time keeping?

Yes, I would imagine he's well within his rights here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't know if he can punish you by cutting your hours, it all depends on what your contract says. However, regardless of what your contract says, consider yourself lucky that you're only having your hours reduced, not being sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have a full time contract, it would be hard for your manager to reduce your hours without you agreeing to it.

If following the correct way of doing things, you should be given a chance to put you case forward with the manager and an out come from that meeting could be a reduction in your contract. You would have to agree to this reduction (though your only other choice may be dismissal).

You could offer to enter into an agreement to improve your time keeping, in return for no reduction in hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What does your contract state? If it says that you have to work 37.5-39 hours, then they can't reduce your hours unless you sign off on it or sign a new contract. But if your flexi and can work anything from 15-full-time hours then they can reduce at will. Normally it would be to do with the needs of the business but certainly employers would be disposed not to cut as much the hours of hard workers or the ones working in busier sections. The reason you've been given is unorthodox, generally you would be given a caution and the chance to reduce your lates to nothing and if they remain, official warning. Ask Mandate but I highly doubt he's breaking any rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Bad time keeping is one of the worst traits you can have as a retail sales person. Nobody can plan breaks properly, the day can get screwed up and certain tasks can't be planned properly in case you don't turn up on time. Also if hours are to be reduced or if redundancies come about, you'll be first out.

If you were working in one of my places and you were with me less than a year you would have been let go as soon as I saw time keeping as a problem.

Then again, I pay very well and have had some of my staff with me for 15+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Honestly, in a way I hope you can get your hours cut. It can't be that hard to manage to be on time? I used to work in a supermarket in Germany and had to be at work at 6.30....and while I lived quite a bit away and sometimes was home late I still managed to appear to work on time...

Being on time for work is not a favour you do for your company but an obligation you have to fulfill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Your contract should have a minimum hours you can work.With me its 4 so have a look at your contract :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, rather than looking for ways to stop him doing this, why don't you, you know, show up for work on time? Prove that you are a responsible adult and you'll get your hours back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have a full time contract, it would be hard for your manager to reduce your hours without you agreeing to it.

If following the correct way of doing things, you should be given a chance to put you case forward with the manager and an out come from that meeting could be a reduction in your contract. You would have to agree to this reduction (though your only other choice may be dismissal).

You could offer to enter into an agreement to improve your time keeping, in return for no reduction in hours.

If you are wandering in 10 minutes late every day you are already in violation of said contract. Consider that 10 minutes per day is 50 minutes per week. At minimum wage that's over €200.00 per 48 week year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I suggest you aim to be 30 minutes early in future. When you master being on time, still aim to be at least 10-15 minutes early.

As for your rights (I'm guessing your hours are casual).. you're lucky you didn't get the sack. You consistently let your manager down and he's well within his rights to favour more reliable staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

1) It depends on you're contract really - If it is 35 hours 10-6 then it would be impossible to cut your hours.

2) If your contract is flexi then and you dont have set hours then you cant do anything about it.

3) If you're still on the probation period then you're lucky not to be sacked.

4) If you work the same days and the same hours every week for a long period then you have a case for them cutting your hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I admitted that it was bad as I am usually running late in the mornings.
    :eek:

Seriously, that is your response to being reprimanded for being late? ah yeah, I'm usually running late? sorry, but that isn't much of an answer. And perhaps this is why your boss has little patience for you. If you had a genuine, reasonable excuse, then they might have been more understanding.

If you run late in the mornings, get up earlier! its not rocket science!
    And I say this as someone who struggles with being on time, so I do understand that its not an easy thing for everyone, but jeepers mate, just get your arse out of the bed earlier! Whatever it is you need to get done in the mornings, get up early enough to allow you to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

I really do wonder about people sometimes. 'as i am usually running late in the mornings', pardon? If you are 'usually running late', get out of bed earlier. Problem solved. I agree with a previous poster, if it was me id have fired you as from your own description you sound like a terrible employee.

Advertisement