Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing internal hollow-core doors

• 29-09-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to replace the internal hollow-core doors in my house with semi-solid engineered oak or pine ones.

What will need to be done to the doorframes to facilitate this?
    Will the frames be able to cope with the extra weight?
    Would an extra hinge help or be needed?

Please don't tell me that I need to replace the whole shebang!

How much should I expect to have to pay someone to fit them for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Pique wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to replace the internal hollow-core doors in my house with semi-solid engineered oak or pine ones.

What will need to be done to the doorframes to facilitate this?
    Will the frames be able to cope with the extra weight?
    Would an extra hinge help or be needed?

Please don't tell me that I need to replace the whole shebang!

How much should I expect to have to pay someone to fit them for me?

Just hang away the frames will be ok for solid doors and no need for hinge 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Ah brilliant! Thanks for the prompt response too....much appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

work away just make sure you get a decent nylon bearing hinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Pique
    No problem with frames you have. Would put 3 hinges on new doors. expect to pay around €70 per door. Prices have reduced slightly.
    North West

North West wrote: »
    Hi Pique
    No problem with frames you have. Would put 3 hinges on new doors. expect to pay around €70 per door. Prices have reduced slightly.
    North West

Please tell me why in the name of god would you put 3 hinges on them.

• Advertisement

North West wrote: »
    Hi Pique
    North West
    Thanks for that.
    €70 per door to fit seems very expensive to me. I can get doors themselves for less than that!
    I'd expect no longer than 2 hours to fit a door, and that would be generous. So that would be €35+ per hour labour??
    I have no intention of paying that in Donegal!

Thanks for that.
    €70 per door to fit seems very expensive to me. I can get doors themselves for less than that!
    I'd expect no longer than 2 hours to fit a door, and that would be generous. So that would be €35+ per hour labour??
    I have no intention of paying that in Donegal!

Hold it why 2 hrs to fit 1 door please fill us in

Carpenter wrote: »

Hold it why 2 hrs to fit 1 door please fill us in
    Dunno why, just assumed it wouldn't take much longer.
    How long does it generally take to hang a door and fit handles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

i have always gone by two hours per door as a price estimate,i hour to hang the door one hour to lock the door.an expierianed carpenter will be much quicker than this but when you take other factors into account ie maybe taking off old doors with painted up hinges and other factors like carpets maybe beds in rooms you wont make a fortune.also imo a third hinge is good practise on solid doors not for weight purposes but as an aid to prevent twisting.in a new build 16 doors plus is possible,without locks or doorstop tough

Dunno why, just assumed it wouldn't take much longer.
    How long does it generally take to hang a door and fit handles?

Hi depending on the frames it could be a lot quicker or slower if you want the job done right you see the hole thing about hanging a door is the margins the carpenter puts there they all have to be equal if the frame is bad the door might have to be scribed to the frame and this my friend can take time also you have to make up your mind are you getting a price for hanging the door,s or are you paying your carpenter by the hour .
    Anyway best of luck with the doors and I am sure they will look fine in the end .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I had hollow doors replaced by solid doors about eight years ago and the carpenter took nearly 2 days to fit 7 doors. He put 3 hinges on each door & charged €50 per door, Should be cheaper now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Done this myself a few years ago - something you can definitely do yourself with a bit of time and patience - and the right tools of course. But do yourself a favour and don't go into the job thinking it will be two hours per door, its only putting yourself under pressure. You will get quicker as you go along. For example it took me 3 hours to fit the first door (mind you had to plane it down at bottom twice) and had it down to 1.5 hrs by the last one.

Make sure you have a good sharp chisel, buy good hinges and have a good planer.

best of luck with it

Advertisement