Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Construction Advice

Options
  • 29-09-2011 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a property site near Bantry Bay, and I am looking to build a home. I would appreciate advice on cost per square foot for timber frame versus cinder block build.

Thanks

BantryBay01

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

try posting on the forum at rec\home and garden\construction and planning

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I have a property site near Bantry Bay, and I am looking to build a home. I would appreciate advice on cost per square foot for timber frame versus cinder block build.

Thanks

BantryBay01
    on paper Block will win on cost(but labour and workmanship are unknowns in Irish weather), one of benefits with timber is its off-site construction and once on site it can be watertight very quickly in comparison, which can suit the Irish climate. A good timber frame can achieve great insulation and air-tightness levels. take a look at this re cost: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391823
    unfortunately there are cowboys in the timber frame business just as there are in the wet trades. so sometimes there's a premium to be paid upfront to have a smooth building process and long term occupant/ low energy satisfaction
    there are one or two good timber frame companies that will offer a turn key passive house home.

Advertisement