Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old coughing

Options
  • 29-09-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hopefully someone can help with this.

My 10month old boy is faking a cough, id say its for attention. Problem is he just stays coughing until he gets sick. This happens once a day most days for the last week or so. Should i ignore him? At the moment I ask him to stop that he is ok and he doesn't need to cough, this does work and as soon as I pick him up he stops too. I don't know why he stays going until he is sick and after he laughs and is in great form even though he has just gotten sick.

All suggestions greatly apprecriated.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Our little one did the same still does sometimes. in our case it was just an attention thing just ignore it and it should stop seemed to us it was like a way of interacting with us because it got a reaction. They'll always find ways of getting your attention "cute" takes on a whole differnet meaning now :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My God, I thought my baby was the only one who did this :D he started doing it when he was about 6 months..

I heard him coughing one day and came darting down the stairs thinking he was choking :rolleyes: :o and he wasn't long about twigging that this was the way to get Mammy hot on her toes..

Little sheisters :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We had the same about 7 months (not as far as getting sick though). Ignoring it did the trick, although it was hard to get other people to ignore it - they used to all be saying things like "oh that's an awful cough" etc to her, just giving her attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My 19 month old does this... takes great pride in "coughing" and when mammy goes "oh, poor Saoirse, quick call the doctor" she coughs again and laughs... Little witch....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ballycart

Thanks for the replys.

I started to ignore after I posted here and yes it is working. He still coughs a bit to get my attention or when he is fed up and wants me to pick him up. But it is decreasing. He has not gotten sick in the last few days.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 MusRo

Aren't babies so clever... Our little one started a head banging phase where she would literally crack her forehead off the floor or walls on purpose to get our attention. She started doing it at nursery too and we agreed with the staff to totally ignore it (even though it was traumatic to see her doing it and hurting herself on purpose). It stopped within about a week and hasn't happened since :) Be strong and ignore :)

Advertisement