Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog farting HELP

• 29-09-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

we have a 11 month old boxer, very playful hyper as ever cant say a bad word about him other than his farting. he is an indoor dog so this is a big problem. when he does fart you would have to leave the room they are that vile. its only a recent thing (within last2-3 weeks) and we havent changed his food or anything. anyone know if there is anything to stop him from farting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I add a spoonful of natural yogurt to their dinner, seems to keep the smell down!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

The dogfood may be the issue. Some dogs have allergies to certain foods and have to have a special diet. Its similar to irritable bowel syndrome in humans. i would suggest speaking to your vet about food alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Welcome to the wonderfull world of boxers hehehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Now that I think of it, a boxer owner I know used to swear by heating up her dogs food slightly, she reckoned it was much easier for them to digest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you feeding him OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

tk123 wrote: »
    What are you feeding him OP?

i feed him arkwrights chicken. had him on kasco puppy food until 3 months ago , when we went away for 2 weeks we left him with a friend who feeds his dogs (rottie and a lab) arkwrights chicken. since than that is all he will eat. got samples of other dry nuts from our local co-op but turned his nose up to all of then inc royal canin. however i dont think that this is the prob bcos it has only started recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have a Boxer as well, he never farted as puppy but when he started properly filling out it really started and boy could he clear a room they were vile. I think it has something to do with their chests broadening as they get older. I had him on James Wellbelolved at the time and had had him on it for months previous to when the noxious gases began. Then I saw a special offer on Arden Grange ever since then no farts, it's wonderful because he sleeps in bedroom and they used to literally wake me up before:eek:

Looked up Arkwrights on the internet and it wouldn't be great on the ingredients, very vague, Cereals are the first ingredient, never good IMHO and even worse it doesn't specify what they are. I would think about changing his food if I were you but again thats just my opinion. Best of Luck with the problem anyway, I feel your pain/watering eyes:p

Here is a complete rundown of Arkwrights chicken for any other boardsies who want to weigh in:

INGREDIENTS
    Cereals, vegetable protein extracts,
    meat and animal derivatives (min. 4%
    chicken), minerals, oils and fats,
    contains antioxidants BHA and BHT

Source
    http://www.gilpa.co.uk/downloadlibrary/Arkwrights_DS_5_11.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

A lot of dogs are lactose intolerant, Does he get a lot of dairy products? could be causing it!! ;)

gregers85 wrote: »
    A lot of dogs are lactose intolerant, Does he get a lot of dairy products? could be causing it!! ;)

nope all we give him is the dry nuts, once a week we mix in sardines into it for his coat and if we are using pineapple we would give him a ring of that(heard it was good to de-worm them), give him a ham hock also once a fortnight. wen we are having chicken the next day i would boil up some rice and add the chicken and rice to his nuts. this is all that he would eat.

I add a spoonful of natural yogurt to their dinner, seems to keep the smell down!

must try that, i was told that in some pet shops there is treats to help dogs stop farting but i havent come accross them as of yet. anyone no were i can get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 neevie21

sometimes bigger dogs simply try and eat too much too quickly which leads to them swallowing too much air - leading to farting. Something as simple as changing his feed bowl might make a huge difference. His diet is also worth checking, lactose intolerance can be a big problem, as well as sensitive stomachs, which my own dog has. Either way, a visit to the vet is well worth making to sort this out -

• Registered Users Posts: 10 neevie21

Ps try him on a diet of JUST dried food and see if things improve - if they don't at least you can rule out the food as a cause

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I've got a 5 year old boxer he doesn't fart as much as he did when he was between 1 & 2. But if you give him anything different to eat he starts farting and they are mostly silent but deadly( he also farts beside you and walks off the cheek).

Advertisement