Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to ride my r1 legally!!!

• 29-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

What are my options when it comes to insuring my r1 legally!!
    I'm 24, so can I get it restricted or will i have to get the full licence?

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

jimmyd87 wrote: »

from a legal point of view you will have to get it restricted until 2 years after you pass the test and get your full licence.

However, your bigger challenge will be getting an insurance company to cover you on an R1. Have you got any quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Have you already bought it? Without researching at all?

Do you have any experience on bikes? Sell it immediately if you don't is my best advice. You might have to anyway. Insurance companies don't like young lads with provisional licences very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

You should go about getting the Full Licence either way, although an R1 is not the most ideal machine to do it on.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

Bought the r1 when i was 21, stil have it, amazing!!
    My only previous experience was on a vfr 400 for little over a year.
    So needless to say, i KNOW what doing, my problem is...getting the insurance companies to agree.

I've heard of lads getting insured on big bikes after they've got them restricted, but have they full or prov. licences is the question.

What are my options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

So needless to say, i KNOW what doing, my problem is...getting the insurance companies to agree.

I've heard of lads getting insured on big bikes after they've got them restricted, but have they full or prov. licences is the question.

What are my options?

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why (A) Your bike insurance is so high and (B) The general public think bikers are maniacs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You have to get the bike restricted anyway.

If you havent done cbt, ask if doing a bike training course and assessment will bring your quote down or actually get you a quote. Technically, as youve been told, you can ride the bike on a learner permit once its restricted. But in reality the insurance companies are what dictate whether you get out on the road on the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What are my options?

It won't take you long to find out. There are only 4 insurers, Aon/Adelaide/Carol Nash/Quinn, and AFAIK 2 won't quote tilll your 25 or have a full licence.

Call them all and ask, we can't tell you how big a quote you'll get but I know it'll be high. If they refuse to quote you once you've called them all contact the Insurance Ombudsman and the 1st company will have to quote you.

But you'd be better off buying a factory restricted bike for a few years to build up an NCB and then bring the R1 out when it's not castrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Did I meet you in Kilarney at one stage? Biking is a long and tricky road for the rest of us and you're not going to get many thanks from legit bikers or much leeway from the law for finally going straight.

However, I'd agree with the above. Restriction? Definitely. This is not optional for you. There's no way of outsmarting the system. If you don't want to restrict your R1, you'll have to stick to trackdays or choose a less powerful bike.

Inurance: Get IBT if necessary and then get training/ insurance assessment. This will help you get insurance but whether it will be enough is a different question. Turning 25 in the meantime will probably help the cause too.

Hey amadeus, in case you have been hiding under a rok for a long time, insurance, for anything, in ireland is a joke anyway, I'm sure everybody will agree.
    I'm looking not looking for 'thanks' for going 'legit' either, whatever that comment was about.

I simply asked what my 'legit options are'

And tbh, you do have to be a bit mad to be on a bike, especially in this country with the state of the roads etc.
    A vast majority of the time its not YOUR actions that will lead to trouble its that ****in idiot that pulls out in front of you without looking, again, we've all experienced this to be true. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

At the moment stick it up on paddock stands and make vroom vroom noises..

after your bored get it restircted and call Quinn or carol nash as i think these are the only two that will insure you on a restricted bike on provisional (but i could be corrected on that) Carol nash will cost you a fortune because even though your required to restrict your bike they dont take it into account for the cost of your premium... that doesn't mean you might as well drive unrestricted... it just means you being charged full whack for a 33bhp bike.

Quinn will probably give you a quote if you go in face to face into there offices WITH the restriction papers but i dont imagine it will be pretty...

to help as said above get some training under your belt on school bikes grade 2 or equivalent will help, once your bike is restricted i wouldn't have any issues with it as a learner bike each to his own but i would probably try and get hold of a 400 or 600 restircted bike to get past the restriction period could end up costing the same as to cover the R1.

Vroom Vroom :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm not up to date but what I did at you age was go to England use my uncles address and do a direct access course

I think you can still do that

http://www.camrider.com/courses/direct-access.html

Then you will have the lisence
    You'll probably still be raped on the lisence but you will have a lisence

Btw I was on a 750 gixxer at you age so feck the detractors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tigger wrote: »
    Btw I was on a 750 gixxer at you age so feck the detractors

Its pretty obvious he has been driving a R1 for three years unlicensed and un-insured. But lets give him the whole "fair play" and "sure he's a grand chap" and ignore sheer intolerable stupidity of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Get your licence, get the bike restricted, then try and get insurance.

QED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Restrict an R1? whats the point? its no longer an R1 then is it?

Its pretty obvious he has been driving a R1 for three years unlicensed and un-insured. But lets give him the whole "fair play" and "sure he's a grand chap" and ignore sheer intolerable stupidity of the situation.

I'M answering the question

Bikers ask questions they want answers not lectures

I hate biker.ego and i live boards I really wish this forum worked

My answer in my opinion was the only on topic answer

I want him legal I show him how I'm not his dad

You guys seem to have forgotten that there is a bond

@cuddlesworth, yeah, I am a 'grand chap', and yes, 'fair play'.
    I've never fallen off any bike or cost myself or anybody else any time or money (including our o' so generous and considerate insurance companies).
    So for all my faults and misgivings, I'm not the worst and yet I'm subject to ridicule because I (eventually) choose to change my tack and go down the right road for a multiple of reasons.

I asked for advice, I didnt ask to be ****ing judged morally.
    Am I the first?... NO, will I be the last...NO.

And as for being irresponsible and so on, I think that mindset exists in bikers (not all of them) anyway, like it or not.

Roll clip of biker doing a burn out during the protest on the 'supposed' regulations the EU are trying to impose last week on RTE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Phone around for insurance and expect high premiums even after restricting your R1. There's only a few providers.

Get your license, tuition and test sorted too.

p.s. You might consider yourself the best rider in history but that makes no difference to your legal obligation to have insurance cover. It's not optional, and not smart either irrespective of your opinions on other bikers mindsets. I don't know how many are illegal but I'm not one of them.

Theres no shortage of opinionated smarty pants' around here is there?
    Take the time to read the previous posts before repeating yourself and forcing me to do the same. :confused:

Best biker in history?! Childish... at best.
    I was simply, VERY VERY lucky, I know and understand this, so when the time comes and I'm sliding down the road on my arse there might be something to salvage, if I'm lucky.
    Hence the search for insurance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Take the time to read the previous posts before repeating yourself and forcing me to do the same. :confused:

Have you telephoned the (4) insurance companies operating here for a quote yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Theres no shortage of opinionated smarty pants' around here is there?

Best biker in history?! Childish... at best.
    I was simply, VERY VERY lucky, I know and understand this, so when the time comes and I'm sliding down the road on my arse there might be something to salvage, if I'm lucky.

Sorry mate but your attitude and lack of responsibility don't deserve further comment only this:-

Insurance covers 3rd party damages to, which up to now you conveniently ignored.

Best wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Gonna be tough at your age to get insured on an R1. If you can afford it, maybe a factory restricted bandit or something until you have full license and are 25+ with a few years ncb. Then again if ya could afford another bike ya could probably afford the mental quote you will get.
    Ring around and hopefully someone willbi insure you. Be prepared to bend over and bring some vaseline with you.

Best of luck and let us know how ya get on chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

Howiye!
    Im 24 with 4 years no claims and a full license with no restriction and quinn wouldnt insure me on a zx6r until i was 25. Carole Nash or Adelaide wont touch you till youre 25. Aon might but that'll be a few grand. If you don't have a full license I reckon you should just sell it and get something else. You should swap it for a r6 and get that restricted as the r1 will suck with that. They're really clamping down on the restriction thing so i doubt its worth the risk tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I don't think anyone here has a problem with u sliding down the road and wrecking ur ass, it's the damage you could cause to other peoples property and lives... People with no insurance a twats, simple as. My mam was hit by someone with no licence and no insurance, car was written off...

unklerosco wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here has a problem with u sliding down the road and wrecking ur ass, it's the damage you could cause to other peoples property and lives... People with no insurance a twats, simple as. My mam was hit by someone with no licence and no insurance, car was written off...

and the state insurance covered her
    and it was a car

details dude we need the details

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

Howiye!
    Im 24 with 4 years no claims and a full license with no restriction and quinn wouldnt insure me on a zx6r until i was 25. Carole Nash or Adelaide wont touch you till youre 25. Aon might but that'll be a few grand. If you don't have a full license I reckon you should just sell it and get something else. You should swap it for a r6 and get that restricted as the r1 will suck with that. They're really clamping down on the restriction thing so i doubt its worth the risk tbh...

bollocks, I'm 24, full licence 1 years no claims and quinn are insuring me on a zx6r,.
    I even had a crash last year and they still took me on, you just have to argue your point I think man, there's no reason they should not insure you just because you're under 25...

It almost seems like the luck of the draw.
    I know lads who have restricted 600's at the who are under 25(with quinn)
    My problem being the full licence , but there saying that even if I had it they wouldnt qoute me til I was 25. wft?
    They added, to even get a quote on the R1(restricted) , I'd need 2yrs ncb(incident free) and the FL. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It almost seems like the luck of the draw.
    I know lads who have restricted 600's at the who are under 25(with quinn)
    My problem being the full licence , but there saying that even if I had it they wouldnt qoute me til I was 25. wft?
    They added, to even get a quote on the R1(restricted) , I'd need 2yrs ncb(incident free) and the FL. :pac:
    Some hassle man.
    One of the lads is 22 and has full license. He's on a sv650 and couldn't get a quote for a 1000cc sports bike at all. I offered him my bike for a few months. He rang up quinn and told them he had a Gsxr 1000 and they quoted him straight away. Wasn't much extra to change over. He never took me bike in the end.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

seanybiker wrote: »
    Some hassle man.
    One of the lads is 22 and has full license. He's on a sv650 and couldn't get a quote for a 1000cc sports bike at all. I offered him my bike for a few months. He rang up quinn and told them he had a Gsxr 1000 and they quoted him straight away. Wasn't much extra to change over. He never took me bike in the end.lol
    From my own experiences they'll quote anyone on anything if you ask them enough times!

• Advertisement
Advertisement