Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in the ceiling between apartments

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently renting an apartment and I can hear mice moving about in our ceiling. I dont know if they have gotten through to our apartment yet as I can imagine we would see droppings if they had but I am worried that it is only a matter of time before they do.

Is this something I should bring to the attention of the landlord as in something for the management agency to deal with or is it something I ignore unless I find evidence of them in my apartment or is this just normal as we are coming closer to winter i.e. rodents finding a place indoors?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No harm in you informing the management agent and your landlord.

But, it's cheap and easy to put a few traps up, or put some poison down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Do NOT use poison, the sickenjng smell of decomposing mice will linger for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You can get a set of those plug in ultrasonic rodent deterrents in homebase or woodies too. Can't hurt.

Tell LL and management co too though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Thanks everyone. I will get one of those ultrasonic things and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Those ultrasonic things are'nt great.

the first thing l'd do is look and any holes were there is pipes coming in and seal them up.

the hotpress would be the best place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Those ultrasonic things are'nt great.

the first thing l'd do is look and any holes were there is pipes coming in and seal them up.

the hotpress would be the best place to start.

Good advice,
    Hot press,
    Behind the sinks
    Behind the dish and clothes washers
    Make sure that vents are not broken

Expanding foam is a nice way to seal these gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You can get a set of those plug in ultrasonic rodent deterrents in homebase or woodies too. Can't hurt.

Tell LL and management co too though...

As OS and Robbie mentioned, those ultrasonic things are a complete waste of money - I had a mouse running around my room within inches of the ultrasonic deterrant. It clearly didn't make any difference to them.

Definitely tell your LL and Management company as they may hire in exterminators to get rid of the infestation. Meanwhile, a few mousetraps in key locations and blocking any holes is the best way to go.

Advertisement