Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truth about Sponsorship

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

ok guys don't want people comimng over on false hope . All this talk of getting sponcered by a company because they like you is BS. You get sponcered because you have the skills n experince the company need n can't get here n Oz. Companies aren't in business for the fun of it. They're there to make money. You being entertaining , funny n everyone liking you isn't going to make them money.

If it's sponcership your after build up your work experince n skills before you get here. Sick of people painting Oz as the land of endless jobs . Like you'll walk off the plane and into a job and then have the company beg you to stay just doesn't happen.

The WHV is great n a grexperince but not a way to migrate. I'm not tryng to put people off coming just want you to have the correct facts before you do.

I came on a WHV back n 2000 n took me years to get back. The WHV is great way of seeing could you live here. If you really want to you will no matter how long it takes you.

They're not handing out Sponcership at the airport like some would have you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

tell that to 17 lads i worked with who went out in 2009 as a group and within 4months had sponsorship's flung at them:P but i get what your saying lad, its more what industry you are getting into

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ozeire wrote: »
    ok guys don't want people comimng over on false hope . All this talk of getting sponcered by a company because they like you is BS. You get sponcered because you have the skills n experince the company need n can't get here n Oz. Companies aren't in business for the fun of it. They're there to make money. You being entertaining , funny n everyone liking you isn't going to make them money.

If it's sponcership your after build up your work experince n skills before you get here. Sick of people painting Oz as the land of endless jobs . Like you'll walk off the plane and into a job and then have the company beg you to stay just doesn't happen.

The WHV is great n a grexperince but not a way to migrate. I'm not tryng to put people off coming just want you to have the correct facts before you do.

I came on a WHV back n 2000 n took me years to get back. The WHV is great way of seeing could you live here. If you really want to you will no matter how long it takes you.

They're not handing out Sponcership at the airport like some would have you think.

Sponsorship?
    I have 3 mates that went to oz, one just out of an apprenticeship got signed up immediately. I also had two friends who graduated from college with degrees and they went in 08 on a WHV and both got sponsored with no experience.

There's two sides to every story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I think you are way off Ozeire and your logic is baffling too tbh.

If a company take you on a 6month Temp contract and you work hard, express and interest to be there long term, seek new responsibility at every juncture, further your training and understanding of that businesses processes and prove yourself competent in all things asked then it makes way more sense for them to sponsor you than hire a new starter to replace you. Commercially and Ethically.

This applies to a lot of industries too. I personally only have a Commerce degree and 1yr Work experience in a larger multinational but Ive been offered sponsorship ( I didnt enjoy the job and the 457 isnt a great visa if you are unsure to begin with).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

duffman13 wrote: »
    Sponsorship?
    I have 3 mates that went to oz, one just out of an apprenticeship got signed up immediately. I also had two friends who graduated from college with degrees and they went in 08 on a WHV and both got sponsored with no experience.

There's two sides to every story!

I think what Ozeire is saying is correct.

People always remember & talk about the success stories and the failures are often forgotten about. I think the chance of going from a WHV to sponsorship is 15-20% at best, so for every 5 people looking to be sponsored 4 will fail.

Like you say there are two sides to every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »

I think what Ozeire is saying is correct.

People always remember & talk about the success stories and the failures are often forgotten about. I think the chance of going from a WHV to sponsorship is 15-20% at best, so for every 5 people looking to be sponsored 4 will fail.

Like you say there are two sides to every story.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Mandrake. You don't hear many people bragging about really wanting sponsorship and failing to get it so you are always going to get skewed perspective by listening to pub stories etc.

If you have a good (i.e in demand) qualification and are good at what you do then I'd say your chances are relatively high, but a fair bit of luck is involved too in that you get into right company at right time.

Personally, I would always advise someone to give it a go anyway, as long as you know there is a good chance you might not get sponsored. If nothing else you'll have sampled Aus life for a year or two and know if you want to live here permanently. If you do then you can always persue other avenues to get back such as skilled migration/regional sponsorship etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It worth having a go, at the end of the day a lot of it is down to luck.

Sometimes you just have to make your own luck.

Having the correct qualifcations and experience helps make your own luck but is no guarantee.

My best advise for anyone coming on a WHV looking to be sponsored is plan to fail, that way if you dont get sponsorship it wont ruin the end of your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ozeire wrote: »

I get what you are saying, and its not as easy as jsut getting sponsorship. I know people who wanted it and didn't get it, but I also know others who didn't get it because they weren't arsed asking.

To provide a counter to some of your points.
    Of course simply being funny and popular isn't enough. But it certainly helps. You are incredible naive if you think that every person sponsored in the last 3 years were offer it because the company couldn't find anyone else.

Of course Oz isn't a land of endless jobs, but in some industries there are ZERO jobs at home. Impossible to build up experience without a job. Comign to aus, I've gotten almost 18months experience. And used that experience to get sponsored. Staying at home, I'd of been luck to get 3 months relevant work. In that time.

WHV isn't a path to guaranteed migration. But it is certainly a potential path. There are plenty of posters here who are premanant residents, in the process of PR or even citizens who done so via the WHV. without the WHV they might not of had those opportunities.

Like I said, I understand you point that its not free sponsorship with 10 packs of TimTams. But its still an option that might be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Some of the reasons why it may be harder to get sponsorship these days is because companies that saw sponsorship as the answer to their skill shortages got burnt by employees who didn't live up to their CV and ones who didn't really want to do the job they were sponsored for. Another reason is that with the downturn in other parts of the world the competition to get sponsorship has increased. That is just a difference I have noticed in the last couple of years and it is solely based on trade industries in WA.

Sponsorship is a great way into Australia. It's biggest drawback is that you are at the mercy of your employer. So getting sponsorship is hard but then you begin the next hurdle of getting PR. But these are the challenges we face when trying to establish a different life in another country.

Advertisement