Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dill sauce

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

I'm planning to make dill sauce to go with salmon....I'm having a problem locating dill though! :confused:

Superquinn and Dunnes had no fresh dill... can you buy dried, or where can I buy fresh? I assume fresh will taste better.

Also, I'll just be googling a recipe for dill sauce, so if anyone has a tried and tested recipe, could you share? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fresh dill can be hard to find, alright. Your best bet is a farmers market, if you have one reasonably nearby. My outdoor dill is pretty much on its last legs, but you might be lucky enough to find some indoor-grown stuff.

It's not much good to you now, I know, but it's ridiculously easy to grow at home, so it's well worth planting a few pots of it next year.

If you do manage to get your hands on some, this is the recipe I use:

100ml white wine
    100ml cream
    100ml chicken stock
    Knob of butter
    1 tbs flour
    3 tbs chopped, fresh dill
    Salt & pepper

1. Melt the butter in a medium pot. Add the stock & white wine, bring to the boil and reduce by half.

2. Combine the cream, flour and dill in a small bowl and whisk til smooth. Add to the reduced stock, and cook, stirring constantly, til smooth & creamy. Season to taste. If it's too thick, add a bit of milk and whisk like mad til you get a nice sauce consistency.

Btw, if you can't get dill, you can use fennel tips instead. Just make sure you taste them first to make sure they're not too aniseedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Dill seems to be quite hard to get. I'm not a fan of dried dill to be honest. I would also suggest trying fennel or tarragon is quite tasty with fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Dried dill tastes of absolutely nothing. Complete waste of money.

I buy regularly in Tesco and SQ, but they only seem to have it half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Dont know if your in Dublin, but garden of eden herbs in smithfield market has all the herbs you could want and so much more better value and quality than markets or shops.

Advertisement