Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Build Advice

• 29-09-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Guys,

I recently crashed and ruined a Mavic Aksuim race rim (20 Hole).I've dismantled the wheel- the Hub is good-spokes are good- but the rim is ruined. I've tried online to buy a Mavic Aksium Race rim on its own and i cant find one. The best i can do is the open pro - Which i wouldnt have a problem with however its not available in 20 hole version(I stand to be corrected on that one) to match my hub.

As a relative newbie to cycling my question is do i just go and find any rim with 20 hole like the DT Swiss RR 585 and go and get my wheel built up? or will i run into problems with compatibility between rim,hub and spokes?

cheers lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Canyonaero

Hey kumate, cheers for the reply - how do i work out spoke length requirements etc? in other words why do you suspect the spoke could be 3mm too long?

Do wheel manufacturers make this kind of thing difficult to do in general? Even buying a Mavic full front wheel seems to be difficult

theres a difference of 3mm in height between both of those rims from checking the spec. it might be a problem as you will need very high spoke tension with a 20h wheel and not having enough threads engaged might be dangerous. Im not familiar with mavic road wheels so maybe someone else can suggest a suitable wheel to replace it.

theres also the dt swiss rr465 which is similar to an open pro but available in 20h. the 585 would make a stronger wheel but you would definitely need new spokes for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you're sourcing the rim on the internet and having to pay for postage and packaging and then paying to have it built up on top of that it might be cheaper just to buy a complete wheel. Was it front (less expensive) or back (more expensive)?

I happened to see that rim a few days ago, its from Cycleways in Dublin so you can prob organise a pickup from their shop so total cost would be 40euro for the rim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Most factory built wheels are what I would call throw away wheels, in that when they reach the end of their life span you just have to dump them, yours seems to have gotten there a bit prematurely, which is a pity.
    Yours are cheap and because of this are fitted OEM on a lot of new bikes, don't get me wrong they work very well but when some thing goes wrong it's usually the end of the wheel.
    I (as regulars probably know) am a big believer in hand built wheels which last a hell of a lot longer and rims can be replaced (usually) with no bother at all, if you're a pro and crash your bike you can just ask for a new wheel but the average joe can't do that!
    Also factory built racing wheels are made for the purpose of racing, not commuting, not training, just racing, so they are designed to last fairly small amount of KMs before they wear out.
    After all that rambling I guess what I'm saying is maybe try getting a hand built wheel or wheels:D

Ah i see what you mean regarding the spoke tension.Not worth taking a chance with the stability of the wheel anyway
    @ Lemag - It was the front wheel and I think your right with regards just buying a new complete wheel. saw one on McConvey cycles just now. Just seems a waste of perfectly good hub and spokes but hey

cheers for the help lads, much appreciated

holyboy- thanks for the advice, Getting a set of custom built wheels is something i'd like to do but the cash isnt there for them at the minute. Do you mind if i ask what you would advise to have built up.is open pro the only way to go? and whats best regards hubs and spokes? For the record I race all summer but i guess i'd like a good strong set to train on in the winter

Less than €80 including delivery to your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Open pros are fantastic, Mavic rims are by far my favorite to build with but they do wear down on the breaking surface very quickly, I'm hoping this new surface thingy(I've read up on it but can't recall the name) that they have on their more expensive rims will finally work it's way down to all the rims in the their range, but until then there is always ceramic, a bit of a trade off but I think worth it.
    Hand builds are a bit of an investment but in the long run will probably save you money if you take care of them, they should NEVER break a spoke unless something drastic happens and if you service the hub and maybe replace the rim as it wears then you should have a wheel for life.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Less than €80 including delivery to your door.
    52 delivered to your door
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73177
    just went up this evening I think, also this
    set for 81, was tempted myself
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73336

http://www.gipiemme.com/products/28-tec-020.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi Canyonaero

I am looking for a 20 hole rear hub and spokes if you want to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I got a wheel built recently, ordered hub and rim online. It turned much cheaper than I had expected for the spokes and a man to build it.

52 delivered to your door
    <snip>
    just went up this evening I think, also this
    set for 81, was tempted myself
    <snip>
    Yeah, I've still got a gripe with them though so I'm loathe to post links to their site.

OP, I hope these Aksiums aren't from your Canyon Aeroad :confused:

@kumate_champ07 - Those Mavic ex display model have just been purchased by me :D Thanks for the heads up much appreciated i dont know how i missed those i'd been on chainreaction already.Is there an ex display section on the website?thanks again

@columbus_66 - Its a front hub im afraid

@studiorat - what spec on the wheels? how much are we talking about approx - still interested in building my own so looking for as much info as possible really, cheers

@Lemag - Also cheers for your help, The wheel in question is from a pretty old but realiable sintessi winter bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Big dirty mountain bike wheel. The shop supplied double butted spokes and built for less than 50 quid. I thought that was pretty fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Canyonaero wrote: »
    Even buying a Mavic full front wheel seems to be difficult

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73177

@peter thanks for that i purchased that wheel yesterday on advice recieved here.good value imo

Advertisement