Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection keeps dropping

Options
  • 29-09-2011 11:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our connection has been ropey at best the past 2 weeks, ever since our phone was cut off (got it back within the hour) and I complained vociferously about not being able to get to anyone at customer support.

It's supposed be always on, but it's constant now, every 15/20 mins it's going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Weepsie wrote: »
    Our connection has been ropey at best the past 2 weeks, ever since our phone was cut off (got it back within the hour) and I complained vociferously about not being able to get to anyone at customer support.

Hi Weepsie
    sorry you were unable to contact anyone at support. If you PM me your tel. no. I can have this tested and should be able to resolve this for you. Is it just phone connection or do you have broadband connected also?
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 jamesflynn21

Hello,
    Dont worry , its not just you.
    Me and my friends are having the same problem.
    Every 20mins its seems to go down for about 5 minutes then goes back up.
    I rang customer support , better off ringing my granny for help.
    Eircom better get their act together or ill just move to another broadband provider.

Hello,
    Dont worry , its not just you.
    Me and my friends are having the same problem.
    Every 20mins its seems to go down for about 5 minutes then goes back up.
    I rang customer support , better off ringing my granny for help.
    Eircom better get their act together or ill just move to another broadband provider.

Hi jamesflynn21
    sorry to hear that, if you PM me your tel number would be happy to look into this issue for you and should be able to help resolve issue.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Hi,
    Im having the exact same problem. It started last night at around 10.30 and is still happening. Seems to drop for a few minutes red light comes on the modem and then connection restarts. Tried ringing eircom support but have a better chance of getting through to the Vatican.

kojack wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im having the exact same problem. It started last night at around 10.30 and is still happening. Seems to drop for a few minutes red light comes on the modem and then connection restarts. Tried ringing eircom support but have a better chance of getting through to the Vatican.

Hi kojack
    Can you PM me your tel number and can run some tests for you.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

An update on this, it was alright for a few days (they were days I was around less though so might not have noticed it) but back its old random disconnects. Happened 3 times in the last 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

An update on this, it was alright for a few days (they were days I was around less though so might not have noticed it) but back its old random disconnects. Happened 3 times in the last 2 hours

Hi Weepsie,

Thanks for getting back.

I've looked at your connection and it's syncing fine on 4Mb and relatively solidly connected over eircom's radius (authentication) servers for the past 15 hours. I can however see some itermittency (or intermittent sync) prior to this.

I've logged on remotely to your modem and run some Wan diagnostic tests. These are all fine, including pinging the dns servers and tracing to various websites. I currently don't see any computers connected to your modem. This may indicate a local wireless problem. If you are using a wireless computer /laptop then you may wish to take a look at the : www.eircom.net/tutorials - 'Limited or no connectivity' and also on the same website : 'Connect by wireless'.

The broadband attainable rates on your broadband connection also look good. The intermittency outlined above, may have been due to a fault on the exchange or network. Moreover, intermittent sync is commonly caused by interference on your internal phoneline system.

The following steps may be helpful in locating /or isolating where the intermittent connection problem arises :

These steps will help determine where any problem lies:

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Before testing your Broadband Speed, it is important to locate the Main Phone Point (MDP) in your house**. (**The MDP (Master phone Socket) is usually found just inside the hallway or front of your house; or the first point of entry for the phoneline to the premises)

Firstly, quick maintenace check is advised :

* Powercycle the modem:
    o Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    o Wait 30 seconds
    o Switch the modem back On
    o Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV box(s), or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection.E.g : long private telephone lines. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

* Test your modem speed with just one single Computer /PC. All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you will need to call directly into eircom Technical Support. One of our Broadband Support Professionals can advise and guide you further ;- Please retain your case id after calling into Technical Support as this will help speed up your call time and help resolve the issue quickly

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Peter1016

I have also been having the same problem too. The connection to eircoms side has been dropping out and is getting very annoying!!!! I would appreciate some help also with this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Peter1016 wrote: »
    I have also been having the same problem too. The connection to eircoms side has been dropping out and is getting very annoying!!!! I would appreciate some help also with this!

Hi Peter,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I can look into the disconnections you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I've gone back to my old one. Past week or so the connection has been very hit and miss again, could be fine for about 4 hours and then 4+ hours of constant dropping, mainly in the evenings.

It's also letting some computers connect sometimes and others cant, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I've gone back to my old one. Past week or so the connection has been very hit and miss again, could be fine for about 4 hours and then 4+ hours of constant dropping, mainly in the evenings.

It's also letting some computers connect sometimes and others cant, and vice versa.

Hi Weepsie,

Thanks for your post.

I've checked with Technical Support and they don't have any record of you calling them since March 2010 - when your modem was found to be at fault for you broadband connection.

If you have completed our broadband checklist advised above previously, and If you still have problems you will need to call into eircom Technical Support directly.

Broadband Support will need to verify that you have completed the checks advised and they will also need to confirm some details with you before excalating to eircom engineers.

Please retain your case id after calling into Technical Support as this will help speed up your call time and help resolve the issue quickly.

If you need me to follow up on this, please let me know your Technical Support case reference.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Having this problem too seems to dis connect every 25 to 40 min in my parents house

bigpink wrote: »
    Having this problem too seems to dis connect every 25 to 40 min in my parents house

Hi bigpink,

Thanks for post.

Please PM your home phone or eircom Account number and I will check this with Technical Support.

Best regards,
    Ant

I didn't want to start another thread so returned to this one. It's now as bad as ever, generally at least 1 disconnect an hour in the evenings, tonight I am barely able to get any work done as it keeps going on me. I am using wireless, but its going on the pc too when I check (that isnt wireless).

Overall it's unusable at times (tonight as I said is particularly bad, and happens to be a night when I really require it to be good), so could this be rechecked again for problems on the line.

I'm going to put this down to bad connection tonight, it's been fine for a bit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I didn't want to start another thread so returned to this one. It's now as bad as ever, generally at least 1 disconnect an hour in the evenings, tonight I am barely able to get any work done as it keeps going on me. I am using wireless, but its going on the pc too when I check (that isnt wireless).

Overall it's unusable at times (tonight as I said is particularly bad, and happens to be a night when I really require it to be good), so could this be rechecked again for problems on the line.

I'm going to put this down to bad connection tonight, it's been fine for a bit now.

Hi Weepsie,

I have your details and case history I will look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement