Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XAMPP, database?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hello

I downloaded XAMPP as a database for joomla that i alsodownloaded, but when i start to run xxampp, i click start in apache and the admin to log onto thr website and evertime a erroe 404 keeps coming up, what does that mean and how do i fix it??

please help
    Thanks alot

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

What exactly are you doing or logging into thats giving you the error?

You download Joomla and XAMPP, then you run XAMPP, go to localhost in your browser where it will bring you to the local version of the XAMPP files. Go to PhpMyAdmin on the menu on the left and setup the database then go to the location of your joomla files and install it locally using the db details you previously setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

that the thing it wont leave me get to the local host site? when i click admin in the xampp it pop up erroe 404 in the browser, at the start it poped up error 504? i fixed that prob then this happend :( any ideas how r why? how can i fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Are you running skype at the same time?

If so, there's a good chance that skype is running on port 80 and that's causing the issues.

You can change the port that skype runs on within the program. That's the easiest solution.

no i dont have skye thats the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is XAMPP actually running when you try to browse to it? As I recall it sticks an icon in your system tray that you can use to start and stop the various services. Make sure they're running.

• Advertisement

i got it working now as far as i no anyway, i changed the port name from 80 to 85, and then had to type local hosthost//85 into the url because it still would not bring me staright to the web page when i cliked on admin for some reason? but ya got it working anyway, thaks anyway people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Well something is running on port 80 then. If it's not skype it's something else. You hardly have IIS running? Or any MS dev products?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well something is running on port 80 then. If it's not skype it's something else. You hardly have IIS running? Or any MS dev products?

whats IIS?? MS you mean microsoft?? it could be visual basic maybe could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Healy Boy wrote: »
    whats IIS??
    I'm sure you can do an Internet search to answer that question. In this case it's not the Irish Institute of Surveyors :).
    Healy Boy wrote:
    MS you mean microsoft??
    Yes, MS is a common abbreviation for Microsoft.
    Healy Boy wrote:
    it could be visual basic maybe could that be it?
    No. Visual Basic is a language not a web server. Try going to a command prompt and typing:
    [PHP]iisreset /stop[/PHP]

See if that frees up port 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Healy Boy wrote: »
    Hello

I downloaded XAMPP as a database for joomla that i alsodownloaded, but when i start to run xxampp, i click start in apache and the admin to log onto thr website and evertime a erroe 404 keeps coming up, what does that mean and how do i fix it??

please help
    Thanks alot

404 means the page does not exist. So make sure you are pointing the browser to the correct area.

Typically the link will be something like.

for the docs root
    http://localhost/
    this is located in the xamp directory on your c drive typically, depends how
    you installed it.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement