Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stem height

• 29-09-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a MTB and I want to raise the handlebar height. (sore neck!)
    It's threadless and I have the spacers at the highest they will go.

I think I need to try something like one of these...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30642

How much more height will this give me - and are different sizes available?

Any other options/suggestions welcome?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

scargill wrote: »
    How much more height will this give me - and are different sizes available?
    What is the angle of the tilt and the length of your current stem? Whichever stem you go for make sure that it can accommodate your bars and your steerer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

Lemag wrote: »
    What is the angle of the tilt and the length of your current stem? Whichever stem you go for make sure that it can accommodate your bars and your steerer.

Thanks for reply....

It's a Giant Terrago 09 - there is a bit of an angle to it already, not sure how much more an adjustable stem would give me.

I'll buy it somewhere locally to make sure I get the right size.

Terrago%20Disc.jpg

Thanks for reply....

It's a Giant Terrago 09 - there is a bit of an angle to it already, not sure how much more an adjustable stem would give me.
    *shrugs* Is that maybe a 15 degree tilt and about 80mm in length. You'd have to do a bit of trig to work out the difference. If you'll be taking it to an LBS they might not have what you're looking for in stock but they should be able to order it for them. However, regarding the added comfort and decrease in neck pain, it'd be a case of trial and error. The one you've linked might do the job nicely. Have you also considered changing the height of your seatpost and the 'fore and aft' and tilt of your saddle?

Lemag wrote: »
    Have you also considered changing the height of your seatpost and the 'fore and aft' and tilt of your saddle?

I'll head to the LBS tomorrow with the current stem - just wanted to be armed with some info in case the "knowledgeable guy" isn't there!

I've tried a few things with the saddle height and tilt, handlebar height is the next thing to try. Back of neck gets very sore if on bike for more than an hour, fairly sure I'm leaning too far forward and have to angle my head too much.
    Also think there is too much weight on my arms/shoulders because of leaning too far forward.

Going to buy a road bike in a few months - will defo put more effort into getting properly fitted for it this time BEFORE deciding on the particular bike. Was thinking of Wheelworx ?

Going to buy a road bike in a few months - will defo put more effort into getting properly fitted for it this time BEFORE deciding on the particular bike. Was thinking of Wheelworx ?
    Some great deals going on at wiggle at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've tried a few things with the saddle height and tilt, handlebar height is the next thing to try. Back of neck gets very sore if on bike for more than an hour, fairly sure I'm leaning too far forward and have to angle my head too much. Also think there is too much weight on my arms/shoulders because of leaning too far forward.

You can take weight off your upper body by moving the seat back (and down a bit to compensate for the effective change in distance from the pedals). OTOH it will stretch you out more so you might need a shorter stem. Fore-aft balance is often the first thing to decide in a bike fit.

Is the bike the right size? How long have you been MTBing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Any other options/suggestions welcome?
    Riser bars would also give you some extra height if the stem didn't get you to where you want to be.

Are you sure that your neck pain is solely down to your riding position? Might be an idea to get a qualified opinion on that (if you haven't already) before you spend money making your riding position less than optimal.

Lumen wrote: »
    Is the bike the right size? How long have you been MTBing?

To be honest the bike is slightly too small. I bought it 2 years ago to try to get into some off road riding but I just ended up doing the occasional cycle as cross training while running. I've got a gammy knee and a slipped disc so road cycling is the only exercise I can do at the moment! I started cycling 3 or 4 times a week in May. (trying to build up to a decent long cycle each weekend)

Are you sure that your neck pain is solely down to your riding position? Might be an idea to get a qualified opinion on that (if you haven't already) before you spend money making your riding position less than optimal.

In 99% sure it's the longer cycles that are causing the pain. I'm going to take it easy for a week to see if it settles.
    (I'm attending a consultant about a slipped disc.)

Getting comfortable on the MTB is hopefully just a temporary measure before I get a new road bike (hopefully in few months). Plenty to consider on wiggle!!

Advertisement