Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good and Bad of Living Abroad

Options
  • 30-09-2011 12:48am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

A lot of people are leaving Ireland of recent.

There are a lot of reasons to do so and there are also reasons not to. So this is the thread for general advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well at the moment, the number one reason for leaving is to get a job if you dont have one or your prospects are not good as they might be elsewhere.

Reasons not to?

IMO, if your sat on the dole in Ireland, then there arent too many reasons not to.

I already made the move, so for me its more reasons to come back. For me its mostly missing family, friends, and Irish people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Family, friends especially and the in general the Irish people.

Saying that Scotland isn't too different to home so it's easy enough here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Try to research the average wage in the Area, don't compare it directly to Ireland.

IMO its difficult to do a like for like comparison with Ireland, e.g. Direct taxes in the Netherlands are much higher than Ireland, but some things are cheaper and some things are more expensive.

Try to integrate as much as possible, don't tie yourself to everything 'Irish'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Always speak to some one you trust/know before heading off to somewhere. The internet is great and all but you have no idea what kind of person they are/what their background/financials/expectations are. Try to talk to people who have lived/worked in the area rather than a holiday as well because the two are very different.

No matter how well you plan there is always something that you haven't accounted for. that's life! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

wages isn't everything, don't forget to consider the cost of living, i'm only making $8.50 and hour here in the US which works out well below the irish minimum wage but the cost of living here is so much lower that i'm actually able to put money aside for the first time ever.

Best example, I'm a 23 year old male who's car insurance costs me $470 a year vs the 1800 Euro I was paying back home 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Dept of Foreign Affairs website has useful information for overseas Travel Advice.

I'd also suggest completing the Travel Registration Form so that the DFA can contact/support you in case of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd also suggest completing the Travel Registration Form so that the DFA can contact/support you in case of an emergency.

I actually think that is a bit pointless, tbh.

During the trouble here in Bahrain earlier this year, a load of us Irish filled out that form and not one of us heard from the Irish embassy in Riyadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poor form! Sorry to hear that.

Advertisement