Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working hours/breaks

Options
  • 30-09-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I work 9-6 with an hour's lunch break in an office. I know there are legal entitlements to breaks after working 4.5 hours or so (sorry, can't remember exactly what it is and my laptop is running very slowly - the page won't open for me properly), but is there anything about the break entitlement for a day's work, aside from that hour? Say I work 9-1, lunch 1-2, then work 2-6, I wouldn't be working more than 4 hours at a time which wouldn't entitle me to a break as far as I'm aware, but what about the full day? Am I entitled to any 15 minute breaks or anything like that?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No afraid not.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Workingtimeact.pdf

An hour unpaid for an 8 hr day is well within the working time directive. Though most places do a morning 15 min break or an evening 15 min break, they don't have to.

If you were only working a 5hr day, you would be entitled to a paid 15 min break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No afraid not.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Workingtimeact.pdf

An hour unpaid for an 8 hr day is well within the working time directive. Though most places do a morning 15 min break or an evening 15 min break, they don't have to.

If you were only working a 5hr day, you would be entitled to a paid 15 min break.

I'm afraid this is incorrect - The op works in an office and this only applies to grocery retail, footware retail and drapery retail - a paid 15 minute if you work over 4.5 hours.

In reality the OP is only legally entited to 30 minutes of unpaid break time.

You're entitled to a break every 4.5hours so 9-1 is 4 hours and 2-6 is 4 hours too.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. After a 6-hour work period you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time.

Shop employees who work more than 6 hours and whose hours of work include 11.30am-2.30pm are entitled to a one hour consecutive break which must occur during those hours. Employees who work in the Retail Grocery trade (Nationwide) and the Retail Footwear and Drapery Trade (Dublin only) are entitled to a 15-minute paid break (exclusive of the main meal break) if working more than 4 ½ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oops, sorry about that, I was always told that applied to all employees covered by The Working Time Directive.

This is taken from above. It does not say it is a paid break though, just a break.
    Rest

From 1st March 1998 every employee has a general
    entitlement to:

• 11 hours daily rest per 24 hour period

• one period of 24 hours rest per week preceded by a daily
    rest period (11 hours)

Rest breaks - 15 minutes where up to 4½ hours have been
    worked; 30 minutes where up to 6 hours have been worked
    which may include the first break.

• Shop Employees whose hours of work include the hours
    11.30am - 2.30pm must after 6 hours work be allowed a
    break of one hour which must commence between the
    hours 11.30am - 2.30pm.

These rest breaks and intervals may be varied if there is a
    collective agreement in place approved by the Labour Court
    or if a regulation has been made for your sector. If there are
    variations in rest times and rest intervals under agreement or
    in the permitted sectors, equivalent compensatory rest must
    be available to the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

OP here. And damn :) Thanks for your responses!

Advertisement