Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mpg

• 30-09-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

any body else here finding there paying more for less lately ?,,i was doing 40 to the gallon.with the last few weeks im lucky to get 33 somethings wrong and it aint my motor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

I fill up at the topaz on manor street and I'm still getting 60mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I find filling up at topaz or texaco gives me alot more miles

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

You will find that the cheaper the petrol the higher the octane, which means that with a higher availablity of oxygen, pretrol burns at a higher tempiture which means you burn more faster. Thus giving you less MPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I used to get the petrol in discount fuels, applegreen tesco.... was always getting 34mpg... switched to Topaz and Voila not I get 40mpg bang on... its worth changing over to them, only cents in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

How do you find out what mpg your doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

cococoady wrote: »
    How do you find out what mpg your doing?

from my trip meter lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cjgib

Fill your tank up to the top and stop as soon as the flow cuts out.
    Note your mileage at that point.
    When the tank is nearing empty fill it up again and remember to stop when the cut out comes.
    Subtract the mileage you noted from the your mileage now and thats the miles you got for whatever many gallons it took to refill your car up to the top.
    you'll be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Kracken wrote: »
    You will find that the cheaper the petrol the higher the octane, which means that with a higher availablity of oxygen, pretrol burns at a higher tempiture which means you burn more faster. Thus giving you less MPG.

Facts to back up this outlandish claim????
    Actually, I'm calling shenanigans, urban myth etc.
    All petrol sold in Ireland is virtually identical. And for example, it's all brought in on the same ships and pumped at the docks to different branded suppliers in their own holding areas.
    Some suppliers may add detergent mix to the fuels to sell as branded higher value fuels, but octane levels remain as is.
    In fact when Shell used to sell their premium petrol in Ireland, people thought they were getting the same higher octane fuel as available in the UK, but it was a marketing con, as it was the exact same octane as the 'regular' unleaded, just with extra detergents.
    The reason why someone is getting different consumption levels is down to;
    driving habits, heavy right foot, tyre pressures, traffic conditions, air conditioning, service condition of engine, filters etc, differing weights in the vehicle etc.
    It's nice to think of other ulterior motives behind it, but the simple truth is the truth.

Now, back to the OP, if you find that your mpg has suffered majorly recently, get your car serviced, and forget about the urban myth of 'cheaper petrols giving less mpg' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

How much can someone's consumption habits change over a week or two? It is true that gasoline is gasoline. It is a chemical formula like c2h3pf10 or some such gobbledygook that I tried to learn in high school and failed at miserably. I think the difference is underhanded scoundrels who water down the gas to make a few bob on top of what they get for the gas. If the gas got to you pristine I would agree there is no difference, but if companies put in all there gobz**** additives and detergents it adds variability into the chemistry. Nogales about Eire, but here in the US the makeup of the people owning and working in these gas stations has evolved into some shady lookin characters wearin strange garb. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them drones they use in Iraq hit a few of these guys around here in the gas business!

Do the test for yourselves and see what comes of it. Keep the variables as fixed as possible like tire pressure and the like. In the words of Tony Montana, Don't ever underestimate the other guys greed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A lot of Maxols use the higher octane stuff i believe. According to their website anyway, and i know through personal experience Maxol petrol burns quicker than others. I've tested this at least 4 times and each time i was getting less mpg with Maxol compared to Texaco or Topaz.

And i rarely have passengers, always have my tyres properly pumped, drive the same the whole time (usually faster than i should :) ) and the car was serviced before doing those tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A lot of Maxols use the higher octane stuff i believe. According to their website anyway, and i know through personal experience Maxol petrol burns quicker than others. I've tested this at least 4 times and each time i was getting less mpg with Maxol compared to Texaco or Topaz.

And i rarely have passengers, always have my tyres properly pumped, drive the same the whole time (usually faster than i should :) ) and the car was serviced before doing those tests.
    sorry, this is manure. Maxol petrol is topaz petrol, it's just delivered in different trucks to the forecourts. They both come out of the same tank in Dublin port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

chelloveks wrote: »
    How much can someone's consumption habits change over a week or two? It is true that gasoline is gasoline. It is a chemical formula like c2h3pf10 or some such gobbledygook that I tried to learn in high school and failed at miserably. I think the difference is underhanded scoundrels who water down the gas to make a few bob on top of what they get for the gas. If the gas got to you pristine I would agree there is no difference, but if companies put in all there gobz**** additives and detergents it adds variability into the chemistry. Nogales about Eire, but here in the US the makeup of the people owning and working in these gas stations has evolved into some shady lookin characters wearin strange garb. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them drones they use in Iraq hit a few of these guys around here in the gas business!

Do the test for yourselves and see what comes of it. Keep the variables as fixed as possible like tire pressure and the like. In the words of Tony Montana, Don't ever underestimate the other guys greed!

That's the explanation I heard on Fix it Friday or some such thing on the radio a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

gman2k wrote: »
    sorry, this is manure. Maxol petrol is topaz petrol, it's just delivered in different trucks to the forecourts. They both come out of the same tank in Dublin port.

You do realise that a large amount of petrol comes in through the south east as well, through the form of Morris Oil, there three 5million litre tanks in Fiddown for seabased delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kategill

margins are too tight for them all to have their own storage so they buy from each other all the time.. tesco used to be esso because they had the largest storage in dublin port don't know if that is still the case... think texaco now add a cleaner to theirs but unsure of this now....

Advertisement