Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrying a Pillion Passenger in Europe

• 30-09-2011 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm looking at taking a trip to France and Germany next summer with a pillion passenger. Then plan is to go for 4-6 weeks on a restricted 650cc '03 Deauville. I have a full restricted(until August 2013) licence and my current policy is Third Party Fire and Theft on a '92 Honda BROS 400. Do I need to be fully comped to carry a pillion and/or wait til my licence is no longer restricted? Some insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

From a licence side of things you need a full licence to carry Pillions.

Sorry I can't help with the insurance part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭doc crock

no problem with the licence as your bike is restricted and no problem with a pillion either , just let your insurance company know your plans and there should be no bother, enjoy your trip when it comes up , i have been all over France and Germany on my bike and you will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

flyton5 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm looking at taking a trip to France and Germany next summer with a pillion passenger. Then plan is to go for 4-6 weeks on a restricted 650cc '03 Deauville. I have a full restricted(until August 2013) licence and my current policy is Third Party Fire and Theft on a '92 Honda BROS 400. Do I need to be fully comped to carry a pillion and/or wait til my licence is no longer restricted? Some insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

If your with Quinn you just need the full licence, ring them up and they'll add it to your policy for an extra 20 or 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

pillion fully comp on my super four with quinn cost 80+
    If your not with quinn you might have pillion cover anyway.. although maybe not with TPFT.
    If your insurance renewal is up before your trip you could ring around i know fully comp adelaide gave me a much better deal than quinn and it included pillion.. but i had to do alot of ringing around !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

From a licence side of things you need a full licence to carry Pillions.

Sorry I can't help with the insurance part!
    He has a full lisence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Hughsie75

If you have a full licence but still on the 2 year restriction (just like the OP) can you take a pillion? I thought you had to wait til the restriction was up before you could??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I read someplace that you can carry pillion passenger once you have the full licence. So even if it is restricted, you can still carry a passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Once you have a full licence you can legally carry a pillion. You just need to tell your insurance company.

By the way, a Deauville is a good comfortable bike to go touring on. I rode mine from Dublin to the Med in 2008, it never missed a beat.

Enjoy the trip

Advertisement