Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Shanghai? (or any other interesting place in China?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Posting this from the staff room of an English language school in Xi'an! A Filipino English teacher and a Chinese teacher are playing' thumb war' surrounded by a dozen laughing Chinese teachers. It's a massive farmer city, but Xi'an is cheap and relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Heard that Xian was manky with pollution???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

"I travelled to Hangzhou (about 300 km south) for a bit also. Loved the place. Very chilled on a relative scale but be aware that you have to re-define chilled in China because it is so full of people. Hangzhou felt chilled because it only had 6.5 million people as opposed to Shanghai's 28 million. It has a lovely lake as it's centrepoint and it is surrounded by parks. Nice place to hang out and a lot cheaper than Shanghai."

Hangzhou does seem very chilled and the Lake is wonderful.

"Avoid Beijing...it's grey and its grim. Did five days there...never again!"
    I found Beijing wonderful. Just the history of the place. To understand China I think you need to spend time in Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

What age are you? 10?

I have lived and worked here over
    2 years, too, so don't try to pull the "I've been here longer than you" spiel.

I'm still not specifically sure which point I made you've taken umbrage with. Was it:

(1) That I've never been harassed by black market touts,
    (2) That people who buy stolen or fake items should not feel bad when something bad happens to them in the process to buying said goods,
    (3) Or pimps or pushers who try to sell you drugs and hookers are bad people.

Which of these 3 points has annoyed you so much? I'm thinking a little hobbit has stayed up past his bedtime and has been sipping his expat Dad's expensive bottle of Bai Jiu that was given to him as a gift..

There are black market touts in Shanghai. There are pimps all over China - this doesn't make it a bad place.
    China is a wonderful country - the people are what makes it wonderful. But one does need to be aware of the tiny element of people - the touts and the pimps - who are out to make money from you. And some of them will be more, let's just say, pushy in their quest to make the money. And I also would like to know what points are being taken umbrage with here...

What age are you? 10?

I have lived and worked here over
    2 years, too, so don't try to pull the "I've been here longer than you" spiel.

I'm still not specifically sure which point I made you've taken umbrage with. Was it:

(1) That I've never been harassed by black market touts,
    (2) That people who buy stolen or fake items should not feel bad when something bad happens to them in the process to buying said goods,
    (3) Or pimps or pushers who try to sell you drugs and hookers are bad people.

Which of these 3 points has annoyed you so much? I'm thinking a little hobbit has stayed up past his bedtime and has been sipping his expat Dad's expensive bottle of Bai Jiu that was given to him as a gift..

There are black market touts in Shanghai. There are pimps all over China - this doesn't make it a bad place.
    China is a wonderful country - the people are what makes it wonderful. But one does need to be aware of the tiny element of people - the touts and the pimps - who are out to make money from you. And some of them will be more, let's just say, pushy in their quest to make the money. And I also would like to know what points are being taken umbrage with here...

I want to know what he took umbrage with here, too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

If I was to guess, I would say Tunnels isn't actually from New Zealand...

Funglegunk wrote: »
    If I was to guess, I would say Tunnels isn't actually from New Zealand...

Got that. Or , like I said, 10 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Heading to Shanghai for 3 weeks (September) on business, don't know much about the place (just been to Hong Kong) and was just wondering what's the place like? I am staying in the Grand Hyatt at the Jin Mao Tower, I find Hong Kong easy enough because the street names are in English as well as Chinese but often struggle with the Japanese when in Tokyo and wondering if it's going to be the same in Shanghai?

Also whats the must see things to do and places to go? I should have plenty of time in the evenings to do stuff plus 2 full weekends.

Right, first thing you need to know is that your hotel is in a part of the city called Pudong (Poo Dong, amirite?). It's separated from the main part of Shanghai by the river Huangpu, and means that getting back there late at night is almost an exclusively taxi affair. But since you're staying in the swanky Hyatt, it shouldn't be a problem (although the other Hyatt on the Bund is a bit nicer :-) )

Anyway, the language thing will probably cause you a small bit of consternation, if you find Japanese difficult. Best advice, get the business card of the hotel and give it to taxi drivers to get back there. For all else, if you can memorise a few things, you can probably get by. No point in learning pinyin (the romanised form of Chinese) for just this short visit.

Lots to do here. You're in a good part of the city to see the more modern end of things; all the new skyscrapers are there, as well as a decent skyline view. Best stuff is across the river, though, so be prepared to do a bit of taxi'ing or subway'ing to check it out.

Best things are (in no particular order): The Bund waterfront, the Pudong skyline (which is where you'll be staying), the former French Concession area (think South Dublin suburbs but more... French), Yu Gardens, fake markets, Nanjing Road walks (replete with offers of hookers and hash every 2 minutes), People's Square, Xintiandi (pronounced Shin-Tee-Ann-Dee; kinda like a posher Temple Bar), Jing'An Temple, and much more.

Being Irish, I'm also sure you're interested in a few pubs, especially since you'll be here for 3 weeks. Good news is they're pretty cool, although there are not nearly as many as in the average Irish city. Depends on what wets your whistle, really.

And if you're looking for girls... well... no better place. But I don't want to reduce this thread to a poll on how loose Chinese girls are.

Looking for more info, send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Brokentime wrote: »
    Right, first thing you need to know is that your hotel is in a part of the city called Pudong (Poo Dong, amirite?). It's separated from the main part of Shanghai by the river Huangpu, and means that getting back there late at night is almost an exclusively taxi affair. But since you're staying in the swanky Hyatt, it shouldn't be a problem (although the other Hyatt on the Bund is a bit nicer :-) )
    Pudong's seperated by the river but it's not hard to get back by a taxi from Puxi and it won't cost too much time by tunnels or cross-river bridge(but it is a whole different world in rush hours, almost impossible to get a taxi and even you did, you will probably get stuck hopelessly in the tunnel or on a bridge. Metro, the crowd on which suffocates you, which is an alternative). So best choice is to rent a car and a driver and have a sleep when you have to get out in rush hours.

While there are lot of places to go. There's an Irish bar in Dongfang Road, Pudong, where you can go and have fun at night. Besides, you can have more choices to drink at Henshan Road, Puxi, the street is quiet at daytime, and become a bar street at night.

Yu Garden, Nanjing Road and Renming Kuangshang(or Guangshang? english name is "People's Square")?if you don't like crowd and noise, I bet you won't like it.

• Advertisement

magpie0508 wrote: »
    ... you can have more choices to drink at Henshan Road, Puxi, the street is quiet at daytime, and become a bar street at night.

No doubt our man will inevitably end up on good ol' Hengshan Road.

To be honest, it's kinda gone downmarket these days, in my opinion. All the best places are just off it, I think.

Mandrake, if you're looking for bar recommendations, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Brokentime wrote: »
    No doubt our man will inevitably end up on good ol' Hengshan Road.

To be honest, it's kinda gone downmarket these days, in my opinion. All the best places are just off it, I think.

kind of agree. some are moving to Xiintiandee. I feel like going the Irish bar on Dongfang road lately, Irish bar is so rare in Shanghai and i'mma gonna check it out.

magpie0508 wrote: »
    kind of agree. some are moving to Xiintiandee. I feel like going the Irish bar on Dongfang road lately, Irish bar is so rare in Shanghai and i'mma gonna check it out.

You don't like the Blarney Stone then, do you?

Almost 10 euros for a pint of Guinness, last time I was in there.

Cheers Brokentime and Magpie.

There's is actually 4 of us from Oz including an Aussie, a Saffer, myself and another Irishman who is mad for the beer so looking for joints that are good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

The Irishman's Pub

The Irishman pub in Shanghai is managed by a guy from Sligo, he is Declan Surlis, and by the way my OH talks about him he is excellent with helping ex-pats.,My OH is living there at the moment in the Pudong region as he has a 3 yr contract, and even though he himself is not Irish, He meets up with Aussies and Americians and of course a few Irish a few times a week,there to play pool and watch sport...And yes the in pint of Guinness is expensive but worth it he says...
    His Social life has never been better, I will be talking to him later and will ask him how far your hotel is from Thumb Plaza.
    Below is the address of the Irishman Pub.

199号 Fangdian Road Pudong, Shanghai China

Am well used to paying $12 pint of stout in Japan, what's the Irish music scene like? Last time I went to Japan I took the Banjo all the locals loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Just off skype from OH and he said your hotel would be 15mins at most by taxi to Thumb Plaza, He also said they are so many bars , He did mention The Flying horse, and Big Bamboo, And you might even get to see a GAA game...No sign of Drogba yet..lo He also said you are lucky to be coming in Sept as at the moment the humidity is killing him.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Just off skype from OH and he said your hotel would be 15mins at most by taxi to Thumb Plaza, He also said they are so many bars , He did mention The Flying horse, and Big Bamboo, And you might even get to see a GAA game...No sign of Drogba yet..lo He also said you are lucky to be coming in Sept as at the moment the humidity is killing him.

Oh lord, the 'effing humidity. And it'll get worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Lshoxs1989

Hi there,

I'm a 24 year old Irish student who is thinking of moving to Shanghai to teach English in a university in late August 2014. Has anyone taught English in Shanghai before and would they recommend it? I would really appreciate any advice. I'm a bit nervous about moving over but excited at the same time.

Louise :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lshoxs1989 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a 2ar old Irish student who is thinking of moving to Shanghai to teach English in a university in late August 2014. Has anyone taught English in Shanghai before and would they recommend it? I would really appreciate any advice. I'm a bit nervous about moving over but excited at the same time.

I teach English but not in Shanghai, I've been to Shanghai about 2 months ago, very easy place to live, a lot of bars and restaurants and a lot of foreigners.

smog was terrible though when I was there.

Teaching in China has been an amazing experience for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DallanTheRyan

Lshoxs1989 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a 24 year old Irish student who is thinking of moving to Shanghai to teach English in a university in late August 2014. Has anyone taught English in Shanghai before and would they recommend it? I would really appreciate any advice. I'm a bit nervous about moving over but excited at the same time.

Hey how're things!
    I'm actually going to be going on my Erasmus to Shanghai in late August 2014 until July 2015.
    I have been talking some people I know that are over there at the moment and they love it. Yes there are a lot of ex-pats and Irish in the city, and the universities have good links with Irish colleges/Unis, especially the one I'm going to Shanghai University has good ties with Nui Maynooth.

You're not alone as I'm quite nervous myself.

Dallán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hey how're things!
    I'm actually going to be going on my Erasmus to Shanghai in late August 2014 until July 2015.
    I have been talking some people I know that are over there at the moment and they love it. Yes there are a lot of ex-pats and Irish in the city, and the universities have good links with Irish colleges/Unis, especially the one I'm going to Shanghai University has good ties with Nui Maynooth.

You're not alone as I'm quite nervous myself.

Dallán.
    I will also be in shanghai for semester 2 next year! Good few Irish in universities over there I'm told

Advertisement