Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submitting a play

• 23-09-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but here goes, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The play is about four teenagers who are lost in the woods, discussing their future plans and fears as they near the end of school. I sent it off to Dublin Youth Theatre but received no reply from them.

Could anyone recommend a theatre / production company I could send it off to, maybe Focus Theatre (are they still running?)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Stuart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

BARRINGTON Kathleen

Kathleen Barrington is a former member of the Abbey Company. Among the many parts she has played over the years are:-
    Nora Clitheroe in The Plough and the Stars (Dublin and London)

Molly Brady in Tarry Flynn (Dublin and Dundalk)

Rita the Cat Lady in Bernard Farrell’s I Do Not Like Thee, Dr. Fell

Varia in The Cherry Orchard, directed by Maria Knebel of The Moscow Art Theatre
    Kathleen has always been interested in theatre for young people. With Joe Dowling and Nuala Hayes, she founded the Young Abbey, and with Gemma Hussey, Joe and Nuala founded Team Educational Theatre. She was the Abbey’s first Education Officer.

Kathleen, the First Worker Director to be appointed to the Abbey Board, and the first woman since Lady Gregory to serve on the Board, was a member of The Arts Council and co-ordinator of the W.B. Yeats Annual International Theatre Festival.
    Kathleen is a member of the Association of Drama Adjudicators.

[details removed]
    Very helpful and friendly, just tell her what you said in your post.

I'd get in touch with NAYD, that's the National Association of Youth Drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I wouldn't send it to an individual as suggested above, certainly not before sending a letter first enquiring. Fishamble Theatre company are worth sending it to, you'll get their details on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I agree with Pappa Dolla - NAYD would be the people to contact...

Contact info:

01-8781301
    http://www.nayd.ie

They do a programme where they get irish playwrights to do plays for young people and they have various youth theatres from around the country premiere them... Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Barnstorm Theatre in Kilkenny might also be worth trying, they do a lot of theatre for young people. As regards response times from companies to submitted scripts, this can vary wildly -from no reply at all, to a few months, to a quick reply if you're lucky enough that the script happens to be looked at soon after it arrives and appeals to the company in question. Not all companies have designated readers and even those who do can have so many scripts coming in that processing them for office purposes and then sending out a detailed response can be a much lengthier process than either the theatre company or, especially, the writer would like. Good luck with your endeavours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

The first question I'd have and that you should be asking yourself is:
    what do you want exactly?

Do you want a company to take it away and stage it for you (with no further involvement from yourself until you go to see it!)

Do you want to get involved with a group and help realise it ?

Do you want to direct the piece (writers very often do!) and are really just looking for actors and a producer?

Are you looking for experienced people to critique your work and give you feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

First of all, thanks for all of the above replies.

Regarding Tygerkrash questions, I'd probably be looking to someone just to take it, prepare it and preform it. I wouldn't have the knowledge or skill involved in preparing a performance.

Is there an element of needing to know someone involving in theatre first or is this quite false in this field?

I'll look into the NAYD which could be promising.

Coburger

If you just want someone to stage it for you then youth theatres would be the best. Especially as the content involves young people. NAYD also have a list of youth theatres if you maybe want to contact any to set up meetings and readings about the play.

I have some contacts in one or 2 youth theatres. If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass it along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

I also have something written that I would like put on.

But I dont think youth theatres would be interested as most of the characters are older. Ages 24, 31, late 40s and 50s.

Any suggestions?

I suppose you could check local amateur groups in your area or surrounding areas and see if they'd be interested??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

Thats a good suggestion I might do that, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wingsnfire

You could get yourself an Agent and pitch the script for a TV adeptation.Once a network has the rights to the script you don't have any other input unless it's a contract stipulation. It's an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Get a few grand together and put the play on yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wingsnfire

Getting funding for anything at the moment is a pain. Even with getting back end deals to help reduce the actors fees and with product placement monies you can't even really do an Indie film for festivals for less that $1m. It's getting silly. I love the film THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1743720/ I really wonder if the same thing could be done for a play?

Advertisement