Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Meg Question

• 30-09-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive recently ordered UPC 100Meg...

My download speeds on my Macbook Wired comes in at 80,Wireless about 60

My Imac upstairs comes in at around 45

Upload is usually constant at around 8 on boith computers

Is this normal or should I contact UPC?

Thanks in Advance

Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

speedtest sites aren't always a reliable way to test your true broadband speed, the only sure way with 100mbps would be to download several linux ISO's via FTP (you don't have to finish them, just start them and leave them going for a few minutes) from different heanet ftp nodes and repeat it at different times of the day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Also worth noting wireless will have deterioration of signal strength. The only test is wired from someone like Heanet (above poster).

i'm sure you used to be able to get to the individual heanet nodes directly, but i can't see a way to do it now.

that said, they do seem to have 10Gbit/s of bandwidth per node these days, so i don't think you'll have any trouble getting the most out of your 100 meg broadband on a single node. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Thanks for the info lads,Ill try that out when I get home

Just to be curious,What speed are yous getting by running it from speedtest.net?

Also have any of yous tweeked your routers,I was thinking this morning that I might need to go in and have a look...

one from earlier this morning (from navan):

1508975230.png

two from just now:

1509109637.png[/URL]

1509116216.png

it does slow down a bit during peak times in the evening, but it's never slow by any standards.

both were done via teamviewer so add a tiny bit on top for that and the earlier one had a torrent going as well.

i use my own router (a linksys E3000 running a modified version of the tomato v1.28 firmware) in the DMZ of the thompson router supplied by UPC that has everything on it except the most basic functionality turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Thanks a million for that Vibe,Ill run them tests later and have a look at what to do...

Although 60 is perfect for anybody,its a bit annoying that Im not getting 80-90

A new router would be probably best but TBH its the last thing on my list ...haha

Cheers,

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

My own speeds would be quite similar to Vibe666's. Also using my own router. Limerick area.

i can't say for sure that the speed i get has anything to do with my router or not, since i've always had it set up this way since it was installed (and also previously on the 30mbps with my old modem before the 100mbps and the thompson were available), but you never know. :)

i do know that it allows me much better management of my network and lots of extra non-standard features to play with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

vibe666 wrote: »
    i use my own router (a linksys E3000 running a modified version of the tomato v1.28 firmware) in the DMZ of the thompson router supplied by UPC that has everything on it except the most basic functionality turned off.

hi, i'm in a similar situation and can't get the DMZ to work with the E3000. is there any chance you could help me out? can send you a few beers via paypal or something like that!

i have the cisco epc3925 modem/router instead of the thompson but i gather the process should be the same. i read Micks description of setting up the DMZ but it didn't help.

e3000 is set to Auto/DHCP internet connection type, with router ip address set to 192.168.1.2. dhcp range is 192.168.100-149. all other configs left as they were when it was connected to the old UPC modem.

epc3925 router IP is set to 192.168.1.1. dhcp range is 192.168.10-20. dmz is enabled @ 192.168.1.2, lan cable connecting from epc3925 port 1 to e3000 WAN port. all wifi/firewall etc is disabled on the epc3925.

have rebooted everything and i can access both routers via their IP addresses, but the e3000 has no internet access... can't figure it out. really grateful if anyone can help!

figured it out... didn't twig the distinction between the e3000 internal IP vs the WAN IP address, which is the DMZ ip.
    for anyone else in the same boat, here is the configuration i went with in the end:

e3000 is set to Static IP internet connection type:
    - Internet IP Address: 192.168.0.2 (DMZ host uses this IP)
    - Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    - Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (cisco epc3925 internal IP)
    - (the DNS servers were picked up automatically for me but if that doesn't work you could always type in the UPC dns servers manually)

the e3000 internal ip address set to 192.168.1.1. dhcp range is 192.168.100-149. all other configs left as they were when it was connected to the old UPC modem. i thought it simplest to keep each router on its own range, use 192.168.0.* for the epc3925, and 192.168.1.* for the e3000.

epc3925 router internal IP is set to 192.168.0.1. dhcp range is 192.168.10-50. dmz is enabled @ 192.168.0.2, lan cable connecting from epc3925 port 1 to e3000 WAN port. all wifi/firewall etc is disabled on the epc3925.

works great.

• Advertisement

yep, i was just about to reply after reading your previous post before i noticed you'd sorted it out for yourself.

do i still get free beer? :D

i had a vague memory from 3rd year IP communications lectures that was slowly creeping through, bit of a blonde moment to forget about the WAN ip!

no glitches so far, getting a handsome 45Mbps over wireless. so glad i didn't have to give up my e3000. it would be decent of UPC to at least inform their tech customers that they can use their own equipment. i got them to leave the old modem with me for a few days in case the new one didn't work out. spent a while trying to modify the router admin interface to enable bridging mode but didn't need to in the end thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

@timmer3 thanks Bud have a linksys E4200 and was trying to figure out how to get it working with the Cisco EPC3925 and your post above got me sorted!

how's the E4200 for alternative 3rd party firmwares like ddwrt and tomato?

glad it helped someone! i have a suspicion that torrents aren't working as well with the new EPC router, with a lot of connections going i can get good download rates but trying to browse the net often cuts out on me unless i limit the torrent download speed. never had to do this before, i suspect the EPC router doesn't handle high volumes as well.

vibe666 wrote: »
    how's the E4200 for alternative 3rd party firmwares like ddwrt and tomato?

both support it but I've stuck with stock firmware at the moment as there I'm reading mixed messages about support for 5Ghz mode on Tomato and fluctuating speeds with ddwrt, so I'll hold off for the moment.

Lads just wondering if I can get this setup running on the same IP range maybe segmented on each router,reason to do this would be to make use of the Cisco router's ports so was thinking if it would be possible to have the Cisco Router on say 192.168.0.10 to 50 and the linksys router using addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 200. Any idea if this would be possible?

should work. i originally had it set up like this and there was no problem with the DHCP servers on both routers. as long as there is no overlap over the internal IP address for both routers, and the WAN Ip address for your 'internal' router.

nah tried it and the Linksys doesn't like it, here's what I tried set the linksys dhcp to 192.168.0.100 with internal ip for router as 192.168.0.101, save settings. Then when I try and set the Static WAN IP subnet mask and gateway to 192.168.0.13 and gateway to 192.168.0.1 I get a little box popping up saying the value cannot be equal, and I cannot go no further any ideas?

subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. the subnet mask and gateway can't be the same (doesn't make sense)

• Advertisement

Sorry subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on both routers

change the subnet on one of your set up so you don't have the same subnet on both the LAN and WAN sides of the linksys router, so (for instance) one router LAN would be on 192.16.1.x and the other would be on 192.16.0.x with the WAN port on the linksys in the same subnet as the LAN is on the UPC router.

Advertisement