Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with property developers in Cork

Options
  • 30-09-2011 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

I purchased an apartment in Cork city back in July 2009 from one of the large development companies in Cork. I'm not going to name and shame them right now.

In the spare bedroom, I have an en-suite. Going back to June 2010, I made them aware that the shower was leaking. They promptly sent someone to look at it and whatever they did, seemed to solve the problem until in Feb 2011, I noticed mould growing on the wall (on the bedroom side) and the skirting board was all warped. Again, they sent someone up who replaced the skirting board etc.

Wind forward to this week: I find out that the wall now has mould 8" up it, the new skirting board is destroyed and the carpet in the bedroom is ruined. This time, I get my own plumber in (guy I know does excellent work) and he tells me that the show door was never sealed and "must not have been fitted by a plumber". He says it's a disgrace that they've been up twice and have not seen the issue. Now, after over 2 years, the wall is rotted and the uderside of the shower is rotted too.

How responsible are the development company for this? Can I insist that they pay for the work? Can I insist that they use my people as the last two times their guys have tried, they have failed to fix it? Assuming they say that it's not their problem, do I have legal grounds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved from Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I wouldnt thnk you have legal grounds. its 2 years on and its but a bulding defect..

did you not get a snag done when you bought ? If so how come this wasnt picked up in the snag.

my take would be at this point its your issue to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

D3PO wrote: »
    I wouldnt thnk you have legal grounds. its 2 years on and its but a bulding defect..

did you not get a snag done when you bought ? If so how come this wasnt picked up in the snag.

my take would be at this point its your issue to deal with.

I'm not sure how it being 2 years on changes things. He alerted them way earlier, and they could have fixed it properly, but didn't. It's not like it was working fine till this point. They accepted responsibility for fixing it in the first place, and now the issue is that their fix didn't work.

At least, that's my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If it's a new build, doesn't it come with some sort of guarantee? Have a word with your (Conveyancing) solicitor. They might be able to help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If it's a new build, doesn't it come with some sort of guarantee? Have a word with your (Conveyancing) solicitor. They might be able to help.

If you're talking about Home Bond- well, less said the better......
    OP- you need to find out whether the developer is still in business or not- and what the status of the Management Company is. In cases like this- its far from black and white who ultimately will have to rectify the issue- however my reading of the act would suggest that the Management Company- in whom the building is vested- is responsible, and the builder/developer responsible in turn to the Management Company (so- chase the Management Company on this.......)

You do need to get professional advice on this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Flipper wrote: »
    .............he tells me that the show door was never sealed and "must not have been fitted by a plumber".

Shower doors generally wouldn't be fitted by plumbers, it's more of a carpentry job, but may have been done by a labourer.

Advertisement