Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAG Ireland petition

• 30-09-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

If you want to pursue the EU Regulations protest further MAG have set up a printable version of a petition that you can print off, get filled and send back to them. It is located here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

RosieJoe wrote: »
    If you want to pursue the EU Regulations protest further MAG have set up a printable version of a petition that you can print off, get filled and send back to them. It is located here

Mag are a joke. The whole lot of them need to be fired out and a new fresh biking group that's proactive should take their place.

The fact that Mag Ireland relied on Mag UK to bring the EU crap to the fore should alone have them hanging up their badges.

AND then the organise a protest for the 24th instead of the 25th

Joke so they are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

thewatch wrote: »
    Mag are a joke. The whole lot of them need to be fired out and a new fresh biking group that's proactive should take their place.

The fact that Mag Ireland relied on Mag UK to bring the EU crap to the fore should alone have them hanging up their badges.

AND then the organise a protest for the 24th instead of the 25th

Joke so they are :rolleyes:

Why didn't you turn up at the MAG AGM on Saturday afternoon and vote them out then?

RosieJoe wrote: »

While you're at it, write to your MEP.

carsQhere wrote: »
    Why didn't you turn up at the MAG AGM on Saturday afternoon and vote them out then?

Vote them out? why? sure to me they are totally anonymous and ineffective so it doesn't matter what they do

Plus they only seem to serve Dublin and thats a long distance

Vote them out? why? sure to me they are totally anonymous and ineffective so it doesn't matter what they do

Plus they only seem to serve Dublin and thats a long distance

I notice you use the pronoun "they". Tell me this, do you think it's up to each and every one of us to do our little bit, however small, or do you think it up to someone else to do it for us?

• Advertisement

carsQhere wrote: »
    I notice you use the pronoun "they". Tell me this, do you think it's up to each and every one of us to do our little bit, however small, or do you think it up to someone else to do it for us?

"They" are doing a rubbish job at what they proport to do which is representing motorcyclists in this country so it looks like I will have to do all I can

Do you think "they" are effective???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

"They" are doing a rubbish job at what they proport to do which is representing motorcyclists in this country so it looks like I will have to do all I can

Bitching and slagging MAG Ireland won't get any of us anywhere, they are the only group currently representing bikers on an official level. With the new EU proposals due to affect every biker in the country, to me these changes are far more serious than some of the older issues and a strong voice is needed to represent all of us. Instead of whining against the current MAG, the only way any change can come about is by joining MAG and use your vote as a democratic voice for any change thats needed within the organisation. As a former member, I'm seriously considering rejoining to build up a stronger new MAG to represent all bikers.

Remember as a stronger organisation, then they'll have more muscle to negotiate and compromise with the RSA against serious changes to biking as we know and enjoy it. As I see it the proposed EC regs will be negotiatable to all countries within the EC itself.

Good stuff, the more the merrier.

Let's pick two random MAG Ireland "issues" from the recent past;

The RSA wanted to have 3 separate rounds of training & motorcycle tests to get a full license under the third driving license directve. MAG got in there and persuaded them, eventually, that repeating the exact same test 3 times was both pointless and expensive. The RSA agreed, and the plan was changed so that riders moving between each level will now only have to undergo a couple of hours training with an approved instructor. Would you call that effective?

A few weeks ago a couple of bikers got parking tickets for failing to have a pay & display ticket up in Drogheda. They got on to MAG Ireland. MAG discovered that the parking bye-laws specifically exempt motorcycles, so MAG sent a rep into the borough council offices to investigate this apparent anomaly. The rep discovered that the bye-laws had been changed, but the council didn't tell anyone and the old ones were still on their public information web site. MAG made contact with the borough councillors, and won their support. The council are now undertaking a review of the bye laws, and have instructed wardens not to ticket motorcycles in the meantime. Would you call that effective?

MAG has now initiated a campgain to prevent the introduction of mandatory high viz for riders (and pillions if you carry one). All riders are asked to do is write to the RSA and express their opposition to the mandatory aspect of the proposals. Maybe that's effective, maybe not.

Early on you said "Mag Ireland relied on Mag UK to bring the EU crap to the fore" but if you had bothered to actually look at the MAG web site or research your facts, you might have found this post which actually first went up on the old MAG web site in July 2010.

Have a look at the top right side of the http://www.magireland.org/ page and you'll find lots of info to help you write to the RSA and your MEP. Read this thread if you haven't already http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056403722

Everyone needs to do a little bit. That's what effective is in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Where were they on sunday?

Where were they on sunday?

jumping on the bandwagon they didn't start rolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If you set up your own action/lobby group I'll go out to support you. Let me know when you have things organised. I'm sure i'm not the only one who'll turn up for you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Ah Jeez lads, MAG was formed around 1973 in the UK to protest against compulsory helmet laws (remember Fred Hill?) and ever since that day has been slagged off/praised to the hilt. Its a personal thing, love them or loathe them, its up to each of us to do our bit. I write to my MEP, TD and anyone else whose ear I can bend that I think can help. MAG has always had an image issue ,even amongst its members. Do your bit, whether its through MAG or just being a pain in the arse to your TD, MEP. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bulldog_ollie

MAG are ineffective, because they do not understand the difference between statutes and law. Statutes are NOT laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

MAG are ineffective, because they do not understand the difference between statutes and law. Statutes are NOT laws.

Cheers for that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement