Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I guess I'll put this here to gt some traffic

Options
  • 30-09-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

I know ths ant the place for it but it seems pretty dead around here
    Anyway
    Been a bit quiet on the production front for a while but i finally had a week off to get something done.
    So in order to test out my new preamp(well its actually a year old but i havent had the time/space to try it) I invited a mate over to record some guitar.
    he basically gave me the guitar riff and i did the rest from there.
    Just grabbed the accapella to throw over it.

Its definetly not gonna appeal to people on here but ill throw it up anyway.
    Just looking for general opinions on the mixdown,also the "everyday of my life" sound a bit out of key so I pitch shifted it,is it that noticeable

http://soundcloud.com/seannash/dajae-everyday-se-n-nash

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i think its a nice little track as well as a mix.

does seem pretty center centered , i guess thats a club thing ?
    id like wider / more east west ear candy for the head phones .
    but i like it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i think its a nice little track as well as a mix.

does seem pretty center centered , i guess thats a club thing ?
    id like wider / more east west ear candy for the head phones .
    but i like it .
    Thanks man
    Yeah I used to do really wide mixes but I found it better to keep everything centered most of the time.
    I know it wouldnt be most people cup of tea but there is a guitar in there so its not totally out of place:D
    I was going to get a friend to play the bassline but he was busy so the synth bass won
    Thanks for taking the time to listen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Sean, I think you should cut the guitar between 2 - 2.27. Just the way the break down works, I would expect the guitar to drop - I think the voice is strong enough to carry it - with the bass line. And it would sound like it's broken into something. And between 5. and 5.26 - if you quitened the guitar, maybe filtered the highs - because it comes in sharpish by itself in the next segment.

Did you have any left over clips of guitar - quick stabs, that kind of thing- or did you just get a single loop. Just slight variations on the guitar.

I think the drums might be a little too loud. The kick sounds a bit too big - I think it might sound better with a kick with a shorter decay - and then a single low bass note underneath it.

Did you put the whole thing through some masterialising plugin. I don't know - the only way I could describe it, is it sounds just a little too loud. I think the compression might be mashing the percussion. I think your aim should be well balanced funky house, just down a notch - and not Metallica.

Really like the tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

krd wrote: »
    Sean, I think you should cut the guitar between 2 - 2.27. Just the way the break down works, I would expect the guitar to drop - I think the voice is strong enough to carry it - with the bass line. And it would sound like it's broken into something. And between 5. and 5.26 - if you quitened the guitar, maybe filtered the highs - because it comes in sharpish by itself in the next segment.

Did you have any left over clips of guitar - quick stabs, that kind of thing- or did you just get a single loop. Just slight variations on the guitar.

I think the drums might be a little too loud. The kick sounds a bit too big - I think it might sound better with a kick with a shorter decay - and then a single low bass note underneath it.

Did you put the whole thing through some masterialising plugin. I don't know - the only way I could describe it, is it sounds just a little too loud. I think the compression might be mashing the percussion. I think your aim should be well balanced funky house, just down a notch - and not Metallica.

Really like the tune.
    Thanks for the listen man.
    Your probably right about overcompressing it,i was actively tying to get it as loud as possible and was comparing it to a similar track as I was doing it.
    I probably overdid it alright.Not to make excuses but I dont have a "room".I bascally had a week off so i set up my stuff in the sitting room on a tale whlst the missus was at work so its a bit hard for me to get the balance right
    Unfortnately Ive no other guitar bits,the player normally plays rock so it was a bit of a struggle to even get this.
    Ill look at the arrangment again,definetly think your right that i overused the guitar.
    Thanks for taking the time man

Advertisement