Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with children

Options
  • 30-09-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi, im currently in the process of my application with an employer in the UK.
    For me moving on my own, this would be no problem, but im looking for some advice on moving with a small child and my gf, the child mother.
    Im not sure where in the UK ill be living. Ill be there for a period of time on my own before they will follow.

What is the process for moving to the UK and getting the child into a school ASAP?

How to go about getting the UK equivalent of a PPS number/card?

How does children's allowance work in the UK for people not from there?

Whats the best site for looking at houses to rent? Ive been on rightmove.co.uk and Gumtree, its a shame they arent as easy to use as daft.

Thanks for any replies.

Also, would you recommend going to the working abroad expo? Not sure if there would be any point.

Again, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

National Insurance Number

Ring this as soon as you have a address they can post out to you. It's fairly straight forward you go for an interview and bring ur passport. The only thing is the wait for phone call to interview and the number is posted out bout a week after.

Spareroom.co.uk is good. Some flat shares and full houses.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

Depends on your budget and where you are. 500pound a month will barely get you a decent room in london.

Where as it'll get you a 3 bed house in up north.

Try and sort an address before you move and as soon as possible buy a phone and ring for the national insurance number.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Regarding schools, once you know where you will be living, visit the website for that local authority and then get some contact phone numbers for Education.

For example, if you were moving to Cambridge you would visit here and then call those people.

The reason I say that you should phone them is because even for councils with online applications there may be some difficulties in applying if the child wasn't born in UK so better to address or clarify this over the phone before wasting time with online submissions only to discover that you have to do it all again by phone because your child wasn't born in the UK.

Advertisement