Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

large beech tree

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

got some trees felled and taken away, €700 for a 30ft caged ridged and hi-ab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

dar31 wrote: »
    got some trees felled and taken away, €700 for a 30ft caged ridged and hi-ab

You had to pay him to take the firewood away??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

reilig wrote: »
    You had to pay him to take the firewood away??????????

other way round,

:D nice few notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

had a few fellows around last spring around to remove a couple of roadside trees. The field had been burned off so made sense to get them down before the ploughing.

they hired a teleporter with pallet forks.
    they extended the boom and put the trunk between the pallet toes quite high up. Trees were leaning foul of the road. seemed a very safe way of doing it for all but the largest trees.

I was happy as no money changed hands and the work was done safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

dar31 wrote: »
    other way round,

:D nice few notes

Makes more sense! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Dermot Casey in Co.Cork is the man, he's based in Mallow I think.
    pakalasa wrote: »
    Don't know the name, but almost sure they are Cork based.

OP,
    I've knocked a few trees myself over the years. I normally climb the tree first and put a rope up high, like Reilig described. If the rope is high enough, one person can easily pull it. But 7'6" at the base, I'd leave one that big to the professionals. Better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

How much should it cost to just fell a large beech tree. I think it has had its day as it only holds about 30% of leaves in comparison to to its 2 sisters in the same field, the trunk is about 7 ft x 6ft + and its in the middle of a field, no point touching it with my 18 inch bar until its down....
    how much to fell?................
    how much is a 20 ton track machine down your way?
    strip the branches within reach (of the boom) break the roots and dig it down a bit on the side you want it to fall on
    push it over .... shove it out of the way .......and fill the hole in ......
    put the travk machine back on the lowloader and away :D

thats how we knock them anyway ps
    then buy a good saw ..... a stihl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Where in the country are you Crackcrack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Sell it standing probaley worth 2.000e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

it would want to be some tree for 2000. Most trees i'm buying for planking ranging from 150 - 200. reasonable size ash, oaks, chestnut and beech. People think that trees are worth a fortune but there is a lot of work, energy and time put into a tree before you can use it for joinery and furniture. Beech is one of the most common trees you can get for knocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

your able to cut down a tree 2 and a half times the length of your guide bar cut off the butresses and do a birds beak and swinging back cut use plenty of wedges too then use a winch/rope to pull it over but if its rotten in the middle leave it alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

reilig wrote: »
    Free basic Chainsaw training here: http://www.treecareireland.com/workshops.asp

Just quoting this in case people missed it.

I've registered, gonna get my auld lad to register too, and try a few mates. I think we'd all like to be better trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

johnboy, i registered for this free course about 18 months ago and apart from th first email never got another email. Has anyone ever taken this free workshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

lads

for heavan's sake please be extremely careful feeling trees

Personally I know one farmer near adare co limerick who is paralysed from the waist down and also knew a man killed july 2010 when a tree kicked and he got trapped between it and another standing one,

Advertisement