Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food Bowls

• 30-09-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

One of mine eats so fast that she has a tendency to choke on it. I was wondering if anyone had used these and if they're any use with kibble. I've tried putting a tennis ball in her bowl but she soon learned to lift it out.

41eEa-aHeaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We used a Go Slow (really similar to the one you have a pic of!) food bowl for one of mine that gulps her food - works a treat. Well worth a try! Not good with wet food or anything soggy but brilliant with kibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One of mine is a pig and ate the food for both dogs, for days I'm out I got those balls you fill with kibble, they have to roll it around to get the food out.
    It worked great and kept her busy, unfortunately I can't use it unless I'm there now as she takes the two balls and won't let the other dog have any (he's a wimp and won't even challenge her).
    So as a diet aid - no good, to slow down eating - big success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mymo wrote: »
    One of mine is a pig and ate the food for both dogs, for days I'm out I got those balls you fill with kibble, they have to roll it around to get the food out.
    It worked great and kept her busy, unfortunately I can't use it unless I'm there now as she takes the two balls and won't let the other dog have any (he's a wimp and won't even challenge her).
    So as a diet aid - no good, to slow down eating - big success!

I've thought of those before, but with the two dogs I'd worry about fights. We tend to keep high-value things separate as much as possible after the Tennis Ball Fiasco.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kylith wrote: »
    I've tried putting a tennis ball in her bowl but she soon learned to lift it out.

Heh heh, don't you just love terriers? What a smart dog!
    I've had some success using Kong toys to feed gulpy dogs. If you drill a hole in two kongs, feed a rope through this hole, and tie each Kong in different places, so that each dog gets to eat. Or rather, that one dog can't take possession of both.
    Or, just tie one Kong off and let the non-gulper eat as normal, as long as you can supervise?
    Just leave the small hole that's already at the top of the Kong free, for safety's sake.
    Think that might help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

A rep for RC said to me before (when I was talking about one of my dogs wolfing down the food, cuz we mix small and big pieces of kibble) - to try getting a small plastic tray (with a lip round it) and put the food on that so that they can't take big mouthfuls and will have to chase some of it around the tray. We haven't put that into practise yet but it might be worth a shot of it's a possible idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My guy does the same, and like yours, worked out the tennis ball trick waaay too fast for his own good!
    I went out last winter and bought a cheap set of plastic balls to put one in a water dish for the birds to stop it freezing, and tried putting one of these in his bowl instead. He wont pick it up as its hard and noisy so it works a treat.
    something like this:
    image.php?file=148965&x=0&y=0&jpg
    I was thinking of getting one of those bowls though, so if you do try it, and you think of it will you let me know how it goes? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

star-pants wrote: »
    A rep for RC said to me before (when I was talking about one of my dogs wolfing down the food, cuz we mix small and big pieces of kibble) - to try getting a small plastic tray (with a lip round it) and put the food on that so that they can't take big mouthfuls and will have to chase some of it around the tray. We haven't put that into practise yet but it might be worth a shot of it's a possible idea?
    That's a good idea. I have plastic plates for when we're travelling, I'll try one of those.

Advertisement