Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Airport transfer question

• 30-09-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have done a search for this, but the only info I could find was from 2007 so I'm hoping someone might have some more up to date info..

In a few weeks I'm flying Shannon to Manchester with Aer Lingus, then Manchester to Orlando with Virgin Atlantic.. Just wondering about the transfer times, I've never been in Man. airport before. Flight from SNN arrives in at 8.20am, terminal 1, flight to Orlando departs at 11am, terminal 2.
    We will check in online before the flights, so Roughly how long would it take to collect bags, go to terminal 2, drop off bags and go through security/immigration and get boarding passes if needed? I read some reviews online that people were waiting an hour to go through security :eek:. I don't think we can check our bags though all the way, has anyone done this before?

I'm just a little nervous as I hate airports anyway and having to rush stresses me out. (PLus we are 3 adults travelling with a 3yr old which might slow us down a little? Hopefully not!)

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If it was booked all on the one ticket (and you can prove that it was) then Aer Lingus will check your baggage thru with Virgin. You'll have to show a Confirmation or Itinerary that shows Dublin-Manchester-Orlando booked as one trip (and not booked separately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Hi Bright Eyes,

I hope the following helps - I have travelled through Man Airport so many times now I have lost count.

It is my personal experience when doing a two hop flight like this when flights come from different airlines, that bags are not forwarded through to the final destination. Even when I did a two hop flight with the same airline (air Berlin), I still had to collect bags and recheck in for the second leg. Check either way - holiday will be real crap if you start without the useful things in life like your underwear.

Deplanning at T1

Deplanning at T1 on AL from Shannon usually means a bus collects you from the plane to take you to the arrivals hall. There is usually no passport check so you wont have to stand in line there. Luggage unloading can be fairly fast as not everyone on the Shannon flight is collecting luggage. I guess you are waiting for a buggy for the kiddiwink - I think they try to unload them first onto the carosel, but not having kids, I cant confirm this.

Getting from T1 to T2

T 1 & 3 are fairly close to each other and have a five minute walk.

Terminal 2 is in another area. There is the "skywalk" between T1 and T2, but it is fair old hike, even without bags, so unless you fancy a bit of exercise after the bone rattler from Shannon, I would not recommend it.

I have had a look at Man Airport website, but I cant find any reference to a transfer bus that runs to T2 from either T1/T3 - does not mean it doesn't though, so may be worthwhile dropping an email to the airport and asking. http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/YourFeedback There are black cab taxis outside every terminal, so I would recommend them as a way of transfering and not worrying about waiting for transfer buses which can be (in my opinion only) less regular then the every 15 mins they are supposed to run. Transfer time from the front of T1 to T2 is probably about 10/15 mins by the time you finish loading / unloading the taxi. Taxi may cost around £10 ish - but I could not vouch for this as I have not done this before.

Manchester Airport Map here: http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/AirportFullViewMaps Shows the whole layout

Checking in at T2

Question for you to check - I thought check in time for Intercontinental flights was 3 hours? In theory your 0820 arrival and 1100 departure does give you the usual 2 hour window that most flights request. I am sure your travel agent has confirmed this is OK and that you have your ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) sorted out tp get into the US. (See here for details)

If you can check in online for the Orlando flight do so.

Alternatively some of the airports have "self check in" terminals, where you insert a passport (usually that has an electronic chip - UK passports have chips - dont know if Irish ones do) and it will print out the relevant boarding passes for the party as they scan their passports through as well. Please note that this method does not always allow you to choose seats, so if you want specific seats join the queue.

Either of the above two methods will then allow you to queue at the "Fast Bag Drop" desk, where queues can sometimes be shorter.

Otherwise, join the queue. They are reasonably quick at Man Aiport check in desks, so it should not be too bad. Depends on how many flights they are checking in at the time.

Getting through Security

Here comes the fun part!!

These queues can be long and move slowly or move quickly. Largely depends on the mood of security and the people in the queue ahead of you who have not removed liquids/coats/shoes/belts/laptops etc in preparation for going through security themselves.

You can by pass the queues a bit by using "FAST TRACK" lane, which skips you up to the scanning area. I am not sure if having a buggy will get you into that lane for free - ask Man Airport when you send an email to the first link I gave you. Alternatively, you can definitely pay to use this lane at £3.50 per head - and it is worth it. See here for details.

At scanning, you will usually be required to remove all cardigans/coats/jackets. Have your small amount of liquids in a clear plastic bag and present boarding passes. Try to wear shoes that are flat and are easy to take on and off. Usually you must also remove your belt from trousers and do not have mobiles / keys/change in any pcokets. Be prepared to be xrayed. (Refuse to be xrayed and you are unlikely to be allowed to fly). Remember the security chaps at Manchester have ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF HUMOUR WHATSOEVER. be prepared for them to take something off you that falls outside the definitions of what you are allowed to carry on a plane. I have had chewing gum and a whistle taken off me before, yet still managed to go through the airport with 5 lighters in various pockets on my laptop bag. (I am not an arsonist - I just loose lighters alot).

Once you are through security, the gates are either to the left or right. Most of the shops are around the exit from security or to the right. If you desperately need a fag by now, then turn left as you come through security and look for Gate 300. (it is next to gate 212) dont ask I have no idea why.

Hopefully you are now in time for the flight. Please note, they do not usually announce the gate number for flights, so you will have to keep an eye on the boards.

Hope this has been of help and you have a great holiday.

AC

PS - I have read some nightmare stories about US immigration and how long they make you wait whilst trying to get into the US. I sincerely hope that you dont expereince this, but please post either way and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

AlbionCat wrote: »

PS - I have read some nightmare stories about US immigration and how long they make you wait whilst trying to get into the US. I sincerely hope that you dont expereince this, but please post either way and let us know.

Thank you so so much for all of this it's so helpful!

By the above, do you mean the immigration officers in Man. Airport or the ones when we get to the US? I'm nervous now if it's in Man. :eek:

Also I checked yesterday and apparently our bags are being checked all the way through which is a relief!

I will certainly let you know how we get on, fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If your bags are being checked all the way through then you're laughing, you'll have loads of time. I'm sure the previous poster meant Immigration at US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has experience of going through manchester with ryanair recently.

will be flying in with ryanair from Dublin and then flying onwards with ryanair about 2.5 hours later.

Would I need to go through the whole rigmarole of going back through the security checks if I just have hand luggage? I presume I can just arrive at one gate and hang around to see when the next flights gate time comes up?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has experience of going through manchester with ryanair recently.

will be flying in with ryanair from Dublin and then flying onwards with ryanair about 2.5 hours later.

Would I need to go through the whole rigmarole of going back through the security checks if I just have hand luggage? I presume I can just arrive at one gate and hang around to see when the next flights gate time comes up?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'll need to exit into the arrivals hall then go back up to departures area and re-clear security..

Advertisement