Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2 use ?

• 30-09-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had to use a Panasonic camera with P2 storage on board. It's like a PCMCIA card with a load of SD cards lined up inside it.

A 16gb card costs around €300 and only holds 30mins of 720p footage, which seems a bit crazy when my usual AVCHD rig gets a few hours on a similar sized SD card.

Just wondering if anybody has ever come across this storage on a camera before? I've only ever seen HDD, DV or SD storage on prosumer cams and those discs on betacams, so I'm wondering have I been landed with the Betamax of the a/v media world. :p:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 New_Flash

Working in post, it's a while since I got any P2 in, I think that a lot of jobs that would have been done on P2 up to a couple of years ago are now being done on RED cameras and DSLRs. If I remember correctly it does high frame rates very well so you can get nice smooth slow motion. It also uses a much lower compression rate (hence the 30mins for 16Gb) than avchd and DSLRs so chroma keying and grading will be of better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

New_Flash wrote: »
    Working in post, it's a while since I got any P2 in, I think that a lot of jobs that would have been done on P2 up to a couple of years ago are now being done on RED cameras and DSLRs. If I remember correctly it does high frame rates very well so you can get nice smooth slow motion. It also uses a much lower compression rate (hence the 30mins for 16Gb) than avchd and DSLRs so chroma keying and grading will be of better quality.

Ah, so there are some positives. That's comforting at least.

Advertisement