Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Christmas Fairs worth the risk?

Options
  • 30-09-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,
    For those of you who sell your goods at fairs and markets, I'm wondering if you still find it profitable after the large fees you pay to get in?
    Also do you think that there is a way too much money being charged in general for a stall at these events or is it justifiable?
    I did an xmas fair last year in Dublin for 3 weeks. I paid 1600 euro for my space and found that I only managed to break even after accommodation, fees, materials for making my goods etc. were paid.
    My items were priced from 4.50 to 25 euro. I sold loads of 4.50 which is what saved me.
    The majority of sellers in this market were in the same boat as in they only managed to break even. Many more made a loss.
    I know the weather was a huge factor and that sales were down all around the country but looking back what I thought was a no brainer was actually a big gamble.
    I have received emails from organizers of craft fairs to be held in Dublin this Christmas asking me to attend and doing their best to convince me that there will be a 30,000 foot fall etc. and it's not to be missed. They sound a tad desperate.
    Are the smart people dropping these markets and fairs. Has the time has come and gone for such events or are people still heading out in their droves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

jojoba wrote: »
    I have received emails from organizers of craft fairs to be held in Dublin this Christmas asking me to attend and doing their best to convince me that there will be a 30,000 foot fall etc. and it's not to be missed. They sound a tad desperate.
    Are the smart people dropping these markets and fairs. Has the time has come and gone for such events or are people still heading out in their droves?

If they sound desperate it could be worth attempting to negotiate the entry fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Get a minimum 30% off their space fees and try and keep most things under a tenner unless they are really good items.

- Remember most kris kindles are for €10 max, so its a very big market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jojoba

Thank you both for your replies.
    Our 4.5 and 6.5 euros were a huge seller last year and is what pulled us through. The problem though is that i need to sell an enormous amount of these to cover the market fees.
    I think I've decided though to play it save this year and give the markets a miss unless I come across a reasonably priced one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Offer them what your willing to pay and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Thank you both for your replies.
    Our 4.5 and 6.5 euros were a huge seller last year and is what pulled us through. The problem though is that i need to sell an enormous amount of these to cover the market fees.
    I think I've decided though to play it save this year and give the markets a miss unless I come across a reasonably priced one.

Have you thought about trying to find a complementary product producer to share costs with? I'm going to approach a few women I know that do fairs and offer them 20% commission on sales - I only have 5 main products and they are personalised and don't compete with the other items these women make.
    My other idea was to look into a fair in Galway and then find somebody in another part of the country and share a stand. Also to run some kind of competition to collect e-mail addresses for future promotions.
    Good Luck - and I'd definitely be looking to pay 25% less than the advertised price for the stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Homer

€1600 seems excessive to me for a show that they claim will have a footfall of 30,000 punters.
    Is that inclusive or exclusive of VAT? What size stand did you have?
    I do the ideal homes show and similar type shows and don't pay as much as that and they claim to have far greater numbers through the door over the 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I get these email invites all the time and the prices are always way too expensive for me. I currenty sell 1 product (but I have many different designs to choose from) 25euro is my price, so would need to sell an awful lot just to cover costs.
    My stuff is personalised so is made to order and requires the customer finding details which they probably do not have on the day, meaning I usually cant cover the costs on the day.

I go to smaller craft fairs to display my samples and hand out fliers in the hope of future business.

Perhaps you could go to smaller/local fairs in th 25-60euro rangeand see how it goes for you.
    What do you sell Jojoba (if you dont mind telling?)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Could you forward me on this list? I'd be interested in having a punt on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Homer

Maybe wait till a week or two before the show and then make an offer. It's a bit of a gamble as there may be no space left but from my experience I always get calls last minute offering reduced price on stands. Not always the best locations are left but it's a gamble as I said.

Perhaps you could go to smaller/local fairs in th 25-60euro rangeand see how it goes for you.
    What do you sell Jojoba (if you dont mind telling?)

I sell handmade natural soaps. The soaps and the packaging looks really well so they sell very well as presents as well as people buying them for themselves, but unfortunately i just can't sell enough to make a good profit even when I make up gift packs and hampers. As I said it was the single soap sales that saved me last year as they were affordable to just about everybody.
    I am going to stick to doing the smaller local ones at the 25-60euro like you mentioned.a lot of these will be taking place in hotels around here and if the weather is anything like it was last year people will sooner do their shopping inside rather than in sub zero temps.

• Advertisement

Could you forward me on this list? I'd be interested in having a punt on some of them.

I've sent you on some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Billy_D

Hey, I've not much idea whether this market is any good or not as it is new, but it might be worth calling the Merchants Market on East Wall Raod in Dublin.
    They had a car boot over the summer which was terrible but now it's all moved indoors it might be good for the coming cold months...?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003063584728&ref=ts#!/profile.php?id=100003063584728&sk=info

Advertisement