Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People around me are dropping like flies... :(

Options
  • 30-09-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

My dad died unexpectedly on July 24th. His brother followed a week later. My uncle on my mother's side died on August 20th, a date which coincided with my grandad's 21st anniversary. This morning I awoke to the news that an old friend of mine had passed away during the night. He was only 35, a month younger than me - he'd had a heart attack.

The last couple of years have been utterly crap, mainly for financial reasons, but these past few weeks just take the biscuit! At this stage I'm just numb, with frequent bouts of overwhelming grief. I can't help but ask who's next!? When does it all stop?

I'm just...... I dunno. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I just don't know.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep I had a year like that in 2007, young work friend died (cancer), my mother died (cancer), another work colleague died (cancer), and a childhood friend and neighbour died (cancer), and my mothers cousin (cancer). God it really did bring me face to face with my own mortality and the realisation that there is so much death and illness all around us. For ages I was convinced I had cancer too and scared the bejaysus out of myself if I got a cough or anything as I was a smoker! I'm off them two years now though. However I did plod on, albeit in a very derisory way and day after day it got a little easier. We have had no more deaths since thank God but another family member is ill at the moment. Unfortunately I'm at the age (I think) where the older generations in my family are dying off. Try to make the most of your life and enjoy all the good things you have and to think happy memories of all the people you have loved and lost. I found it helped me greatly to pull out of the profound sadness. Also forgot to say I am very sorry for your loss, and its very early days yet OP you need to give yourself a chance to grieve properly. I did bereavement counselling with a group in my local church for free, and they were very good, but you may not be religiously inclined (neither am I really!) but I did find it very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm going through the same thing, and suffering with deep anxiety because I'm waiting for who gets hit next.

I'm 20. 18 months ago my dad died of blood cancer [terminal] after a 1 month battle, very brief. 3 months later my uncle was diagnosed with exactly the same form of blood cancer. He's battling but terminal with very little time left.

6 months ago my other uncle on other side of family was diagnosed with terminal blood cancer. He died 2 months after diagnosis.

A close family friend died of a brain haemorrhage in July. In August my cousin was diagnosed with terminal blood cancer and has just weeks left now. Yesterday another family member passed away suddenly.

It's just become too much for me, I'm only 20 but everywhere I look people are dropping like flies. I want to run away and cut off all contact with everyone I know so as not to be hurt by more deaths.

Advertisement