Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Not working

Options
  • 30-09-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Im trying to fix a laptop belonging to a friend of my gf. I dont have much information other than the battery ran down, and when they went to plug it in, it wouldnt work. They replaced the power cord and still nothing.

I initally thought it might be the power jack butit seems to be fine, soldering looks ok, no damage. Theres not a huge amount of play in it when the cable is plugged in.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be or things to try to fix it. At the moment it wont do anything, no flash lights/beeps etc

Just tried the HD in another laptop and thats grand. Thinking now its the CPU as this laptop has been known for overheating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

wobbles wrote: »
    Im trying to fix a laptop belonging to a friend of my gf. I dont have much information other than the battery ran down, and when they went to plug it in, it wouldnt work. They replaced the power cord and still nothing.

I initally thought it might be the power jack butit seems to be fine, soldering looks ok, no damage. Theres not a huge amount of play in it when the cable is plugged in.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be or things to try to fix it. At the moment it wont do anything, no flash lights/beeps etc

Just tried the HD in another laptop and thats grand. Thinking now its the CPU as this laptop has been known for overheating.

Rather in the bad section...

CPU rarely dies even when overheating as they tend to throttle back if under high load. It most likely the motherboard itself bricked from continuous overheating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Remove all sources of power (battery, PSU). Hold down power button for 30 sec. Then reconnect power and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭themonic

1- what model is it :confused:
    2- do you have any measuring and soldering tools?
    3- do you have any experience with mainboard repairs?

There is lots of things that might cause this fault.
    There might be:
    -blown fuse
    -short on input (VIN to ground)
    -fault in overload protection
    -fault in voltage detection circuit
    -fault in charger circuit (not the psu)
    -fault in converter circuit
    -damaged southbridge, KBD, KBC, crystal
    and many others possibilities.

To do proper diagnose, you need: multimeter, regulated (current and voltage) DC power supply, oscilloscope.
    When you will find what's up, you might need some or all of: soldering station, hot air station, memory programmer, sometimes good large preheater and infrared soldering station with temperature profiles. Obviously following ESD Anti Static standards.

I can tell you step by step what you need to do to exclude easiest faults if you want. But you need to have at least multimeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

themonic wrote: »
    1- what model is it :confused:
    2- do you have any measuring and soldering tools?
    3- do you have any experience with mainboard repairs?

There is lots of things that might cause this fault.
    There might be:
    -blown fuse
    -short on input (VIN to ground)
    -fault in overload protection
    -fault in voltage detection circuit
    -fault in charger circuit (not the psu)
    -fault in converter circuit
    -damaged southbridge, KBD, KBC, crystal
    and many others possibilities.

To do proper diagnose, you need: multimeter, regulated (current and voltage) DC power supply, oscilloscope.
    When you will find what's up, you might need some or all of: soldering station, hot air station, memory programmer, sometimes good large preheater and infrared soldering station with temperature profiles. Obviously following ESD Anti Static standards.

I can tell you step by step what you need to do to exclude easiest faults if you want. But you need to have at least multimeter.

what your asking the person to do is refloat his chips ? that will give more problems then fixes.. just go away and buy a new laptop it can be fixed but will cost to much..

i would Take every thing out MotherBoard and all. take the cooling System out replace it with a new one check the Intel/AMD chip on the board,, if it needs to be refloated forget it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Heh... you guys are hilarious with your talk of oscilloscopes and rework stations.
    OP, what is the brand/model of your laptop? Have you googled this along with the symptoms to see if there is an endemic issue with this model?

• Advertisement
Advertisement