Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on home audio setup options

• 30-09-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I'm just looking for some opinions as to what I should do regarding a home audio setup. Im presently building an extension onto the back of my house for a new kitchen/dining/living area and Im not sure what to do regards to the music setup. Essentially I want the outdoor and interior speakers all linked to the same system. I have alot of mp3s so the system needs to be able to play these and Im not looking to spend alot. I know I will need to buy an amp to run the 4 speakers, thats no problem, but with regards to the mp3, can anyone recommend something I can buy that would link up with the amp that would be easy to access the mp3's through. Sorry for all the waffling!

What I currently have that Im hoping to incorporate:
    2 bose 203 professionsl speakers
    2 bose environmental 151 speakers to put out side in the back garden.
    external hdd with a large slection of music
    Marrantz tuner ST4000/NTB

thanks you for any advice that you can give!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

A decent amp with either inputs for your 4 speakers and an a/b selector on the amp or an amp connected to a speaker switch that will give you the ability to independently turn on or off the interior/exterior speakers.
    For your MP3's.. if you are on a budget look at Logitech Squeezebox but I would highly recommend Sonos zoneplayer controlled via smartphone to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

No problem with the amp. Is the squeezbox relatively easy to use, just that (without sounding too sexist) my wife will be using it also and she wouldnt be great with technology! Thanks.

Thinking about it it might be easier to get some kind of docking station, an ipod for the docking station and then connect that to the amp?

dwiseman wrote: »
    Thinking about it it might be easier to get some kind of docking station, an ipod for the docking station and then connect that to the amp?

In terms of ease of use I couldn't recommend that more! The squeezebox is a nice touch but not always user friendly and relies on wireless networks and computers being on etc.. This can lead to confusion and a general bad feeling around a product that "it never works" etc..
    Create some favourite playlists for you and her.. cheap dock connected to the amp... Works every time!

Thanks for your help Homer. I think I just found the answer: Wadia 170i, its a docking station for the ipod and looks like a nice piece of kit. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Always in your main listening room spend on the loudspeaker cables.

I haven't upgraded or done anything to my system but I made the mistake of leaving that upgrade until the very end.

I remember they used to say 10% of total cost but I would say a small bit more if possible.

I know it doesn't really answer your question but I hate to seeing people putting time and effort into the setup and not fully realising it's potential.

(rant over:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Guys,

Apologies for bringing up an old thread just looking for advice from people in the know.

I have speaker cable coming back to the utility from 8 zones, I have a NAS with all my music there too.

Looking for some kind of controller/amp that won't break the bank that would play the music from the NAS and hopefully satellite radio that could go to a few of those zones and maybe be controlled via the iPhone or something??

Any advice would be appreciated.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Apologies for bringing up an old thread just looking for advice from people in the know.

I have speaker cable coming back to the utility from 8 zones, I have a NAS with all my music there too.

Looking for some kind of controller/amp that won't break the bank that would play the music from the NAS and hopefully satellite radio that could go to a few of those zones and maybe be controlled via the iPhone or something??

Any advice would be appreciated.

As always it depends on your budget! Cheapest option would be a Zonos ZP120 and a large speaker switch
    Nas connected to the ZP120

506734.jpg

output from the Zp120 to the speaker switch

8-way%20loudspeaker%20selector.jpg

can have all your music and internet radio controlled from your iphone. You will have master volume control but not individual volume control in each room. Also sam souce in each room. You could always upgrade to a dedicated ZP120 for each room when budget allows.

I'm hearing a lot about the Sonos all right, looks like I'll be going that route, might have a look on ebay and see can I get one that won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Holla23

As Homer says it is all about the budget. Nuvo have a new system - similar to Sonos - but it is a bit more expensive. Looks like they have an amp that will allow you to have music in 3 zones - marries the distributed audio with a centralised system. No idea of price yet but there are a few Irish distributors of Nuvo out there which should be able to provide a ballpark figure.

• Advertisement

Cool, if the Nuvo wasn't too much more then I guess that might be the way to go so, 3 zones instead of one would be great , but you're right, it all depends on the budget!

I'd recommend the Logitech Squeezebox family. I run 2 booms, 2 receivers, one classic all sychronised (you can use them individually if you want, tho) all controlled by one controller, pulling music from my ReadyNas Duo storage or from internet radio. Operation is simple (once the set up is done) and my better half has no issues - apart from the slight delay in getting streaming radio going, which can take about fifteen seconds to connect and isn't, therefore, as instant as turning on a "normal" radio. A small price to pay, I tell her.....

I bought all of my kit second hand or new, at a very good price, on eBay and Adverts.ie.

Advertisement