Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 30-09-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi
    is it possible to use two eircom broadband routers as i have one downstairs but i can not get wireless up stairs so i taught if i plugged a second one upstairs it might work.. Can anyone help me please..
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Bruffkid wrote: »
    Hi
    is it possible to use two eircom broadband routers as i have one downstairs but i can not get wireless up stairs so i taught if i plugged a second one upstairs it might work.. Can anyone help me please..
    Cheers

Hi Bruffkid,

It is possible to use two modems to try and extend the wireless reach. If you have a look at - : http://bit.ly/elyeR1

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

Thank you for that but i got lost when i went on to the page is their a specific section i need to look at..???

Thank you for that but i got lost when i went on to the page is their a specific section i need to look at..???

Hi Bruffkid,

I was speaking to managers in broadband technical support directly and they said although it is possible it is not the preferred method as the two modems in effect can split the wireless signal strength while also trying to extend it.

So apologies, the most effective was is to use a third part wifi extender:

Wifi Extenders - 'Do they work?' Watch this Youtube Clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA

I apologise for the initial post, I should have clarified the response.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

hi mark,another quiry for you,ive moved into an apartment and there is an unused line(dead)there. if i apply for broadband do i have to get a diall tone as well(i dont require to use voice).ive looked at the eircom site and cant figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

horse7 wrote: »
    hi mark,another quiry for you,ive moved into an apartment and there is an unused line(dead)there. if i apply for broadband do i have to get a diall tone as well(i dont require to use voice).ive looked at the eircom site and cant figure it out.

I know its directed at Mark, but yes you have to order a phone line in order to get broadband, irrespective of whether you use it for speech or not.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Cheers

Two eircom routers will conflict with each other normally. If you search for a wireless or wifi extender it will enable you to get wireless elseware.

Alternatively have a look at this site http://danielflannery.ie/how-to-extend-your-wifi-range-using-a-netopia-2247nwg3347wg/ might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

axle108 wrote: »
    I know its directed at Mark, but yes you have to order a phone line in order to get broadband, irrespective of whether you use it for speech or not.
    thanks for the info,i know i will need a phone line,but will i need a dial tone.

Broadband could be provided without a dialtone. But they will only give you broadband with a dial tone on the line, irrespective of whether you want to connect a phone or not.

wrote: »
    thanks for the info,i know i will need a phone line,but will i need a dial tone.

Hi horse7,

The line needs to be in place as the broadband service / signal is provided through the line.

Thanks, Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Hi Mark

Firstly, I'd like to warn you that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world!

Until recently I'd a Netopia modem (router?) but it gave up the ghost so I then installed the Zyxel one that Eircom sent me a while back. It works fine from an internet surting perspective but I cannot for the life of me work out how to connect wirelessly to my Kodak printer (previously this wasn't an issue). I've entered the security key/string on the printer and the printer says that it's "Connected to eicomxxxxxxxx" (i.e. my wireless network). But it doesn't seem to be connected. It's like there's a problem with the modem/router.

Thanks, Mark.

Regards

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Hi
    Cheers

Hi Bruffkid, this may sound silly but it worked for me, extended my wifi by another 10 meters!

Get a beer can, cut off the bottom (Part without the hole)
    Cut down the outside of the can from the bottom (where you took off) to the top (where the hole is) leaving a small piece of metal connecting the top and the sides of the can.

Clean and dry the beer can. Place the hole over the antenna and spread out the sides just enough so you don't break the connected bit!

Have a look at this image and you'll see what i mean.
    300px-Beer-Can-Wifi-Booster-Intro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Mark

Firstly, I'd like to warn you that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world!

Until recently I'd a Netopia modem (router?) but it gave up the ghost so I then installed the Zyxel one that Eircom sent me a while back. It works fine from an internet surting perspective but I cannot for the life of me work out how to connect wirelessly to my Kodak printer (previously this wasn't an issue). I've entered the security key/string on the printer and the printer says that it's "Connected to eicomxxxxxxxx" (i.e. my wireless network). But it doesn't seem to be connected. It's like there's a problem with the modem/router.

Thanks, Mark.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean Bateman

The modem should not prevent this:confused:
    I have included two links Kodak link
    and eircom modem setup link
    I hope this helps, if not give our tech support team a call on 1890260260 and they can go through your settings with you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Blikes wrote: »
    Hi Bruffkid, this may sound silly but it worked for me, extended my wifi by another 10 meters!

Get a beer can, cut off the bottom (Part without the hole)
    Cut down the outside of the can from the bottom (where you took off) to the top (where the hole is) leaving a small piece of metal connecting the top and the sides of the can.

Clean and dry the beer can. Place the hole over the antenna and spread out the sides just enough so you don't break the connected bit!

Have a look at this image and you'll see what i mean.
    300px-Beer-Can-Wifi-Booster-Intro.jpg

Thanks for posting this Blikes, had seen other ways to do this but not beer cans:D
    Tony

Advertisement