Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employeer witholding tax??

Options
  • 30-09-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Moved to Perth a few weeks ago and landed on my feet driving a excavator at a recycling center. last week i got my first full week pay cheque, i was a little anoyed to find i paid nearly $500 tax on my $1580 earned, so takehome was around $1k.
    So the boss and I went for a few drinks last night, he was a lil drunk and i mentioned it to him that i was anoyed the tax was a little steap, but at least id get some of it back, he went on a bit of a rant that if i didnt like it i could leave but he expacts me to stay the 6 months and if i dont he will withhold my tax and i wont get anything from it, i was a bit gobsmacked as i wasnt aware he could do something like that, I just asked him how can he do that, and he mumbled something that its only paid every 3 months or that.
    At the moment im happy working there but get the feeling that after a few months ill want to move on from perth, im fully entitled to do so as i never signed any contract that i would stay for any legnth of time, but did mention that id be interested in staying for the 6 months, so i was wondering if he could actually do that.
    And dose anyone know if im paying too much tax? as anyone i mention it to asks me why the hell im paying 1/3 of my wage for tax,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

is the rate for a non resident whv still 29%? But in the end you will be classed as resident for tax purposes and yes get alot of it back...he can try withhold it from the government if he likes...that would be tax evasion and extremely serious on his part...no chance of that happening...

Do you get a payslip? Is your employment actually registered with the tax office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you put down you are an australian resident for tax purposes then you won't get this much tax

(if you intend to stay in one area longer than 6 months) have a look at the australian tax thread for links with explainations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just saw this thread, i I ere you I'd be a little woried tat the boss got indignant about the mention of Taxback, its Common enough practice (I used to do it and I knew of a few more in Brisbane) to Deduct your taxes from yer Pay but to not file a Tax return for You, or to only file for the bare mnimum, say you only worked for a few days or so and that they let you go. they then pocket the rest and as you only make your claims when you are leavin it you usually just shag of and accept that you were rode.

Did you fill out one of those Pinky/Orangey Tax forms??
    ask for your copy, and also make sure that you get payslips which outline the deductions clearly

are you being paid Cash or isto an account, if its into an account Check that the Company name of the Payer matches with the Company you work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

ali-d1936 wrote: »
    Moved to Perth a few weeks ago and landed on my feet driving a excavator at a recycling center. last week i got my first full week pay cheque, i was a little anoyed to find i paid nearly $500 tax on my $1580 earned, so takehome was around $1k.
    So the boss and I went for a few drinks last night, he was a lil drunk and i mentioned it to him that i was anoyed the tax was a little steap, but at least id get some of it back, he went on a bit of a rant that if i didnt like it i could leave but he expacts me to stay the 6 months and if i dont he will withhold my tax and i wont get anything from it, i was a bit gobsmacked as i wasnt aware he could do something like that, I just asked him how can he do that, and he mumbled something that its only paid every 3 months or that.
    At the moment im happy working there but get the feeling that after a few months ill want to move on from perth, im fully entitled to do so as i never signed any contract that i would stay for any legnth of time, but did mention that id be interested in staying for the 6 months, so i was wondering if he could actually do that.
    And dose anyone know if im paying too much tax? as anyone i mention it to asks me why the hell im paying 1/3 of my wage for tax,

The bolded bit makes me think you both have your wires crossed.

You're SUPERANNUATION is due every 3 months. Its annoying but the way it works is, if you work in January then you'e super is due at the latest the 28th of April. 1 month after the end of the quarter. So it can take time to get to your account.

I'd clarify with your boss, it seems wires may be crossed. He cant withhold either anyway so I wouldnt worry about it. If he does, just threaten to report him to ATO and he'll smarten up. No one wants teh hassle of them investigating or auditing them. Play hard ball.

Advertisement