Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Defensive System

Options
  • 30-09-2011 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

How are people getting on with it?

It's not that much different to FIFA 11 where you could jockey a player like this year. The difference seems to be it's easier to step out of position when jockeying in this one.

I've abandoned learning it for now and take control of the man who is covering the 1st defending player. Won both games I've played doing this method.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

SantryRed wrote: »

It's not that much different to FIFA 11 where you could jockey a player like this year. The difference seems to be it's easier to step out of position when jockeying in this one.

I've abandoned learning it for now and take control of the man who is covering the 1st defending player. Won both games I've played doing this method.

Switched it off after the first match, seems broken to me. Back to the old style.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Keep trying new variants but nothing working online. Some people I play against seem to have it down, not sure what they are doing. A huge problem is when you jockey your player doesn't seem to be tied to the player with the ball and just moves away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Find it sound enough. Won 5 and drew 1. I don't really utilise the new system though I stand off players a lot and try get a few players back. Only they odd time I use the ground tackle button if I'm certain of getting the ball.

It's good though. I'm finding it easy to penetrate defences. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

I think the new defensive system is a great addition. It now requires some concentration and good timing to defend well.
    Here's a good tip for anyone struggling to get used to it - don't use the contain or jockey buttons until you've mastered the standing tackle. Simply move your defender close to the player in possession and tap the standing tackle button to win back possession. Once you've mastered this you can then start to use jockey and contain etc. You're not going to win the ball every time using this method and if you mistime the tackle you'll get skinned which adds to the realism imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

DarkJager wrote: »
    Switched it off after the first match, seems broken to me. Back to the old style.

How do you do that? I'm useless at the new system. My record is 9-1-9!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Played a few kick off games to try get the standing tackle timing right but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Gave up, played online and somehow I've won all 4 games :D I just let the AI contain the player with the ball and wait for a chance to knick it using another player.

Played 3 unranked games and they all quit :rolleyes: There seems to be no option for a ranked game, is the head to head seasons basically the ranked game in this one ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

jamescd wrote: »
    There seems to be no option for a ranked game, is the head to head seasons basically the ranked game in this one ??

Yep, that is the new ranked game. It's the exact same but it's a nice extra touch with 'promotion / relegation' - they've always been there but never highlighted. Whatever you do, never pick Barce's home kit because if you come up against someone using Inter's home kit, you're f@cked!

Lol I'll keep that in mind :D

Still that's a bit stupid, they should have let us pick the jerseys after being matched up with another player !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Indeed that's stupid how they haven't done that. Had a few clashes with kit already.

Can you quit out before 5th min though without no result counted in this one? It's not enjoyable with same colour jerseys tbh. :pac:

I hope so, what if your matched up against the same team and the same kit ?! That would be a disaster :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

You can still quit before 5 minutes and not get the loss yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

raheny red wrote: »
    DarkJager wrote: »

How do you do that? I'm useless at the new system. My record is 9-1-9!

It's in controller settings in options. Switch it from tactical to legacy.

Afaik though you're forced to play tactical in the head to head seasons. Might as well leave it on tactical and try to get used it to have any chance of winning matches.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't like it. I get it, and i understand the concept of how it's implemented, but i just don't like it.

I'm not turning it off though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

The difference seems to be it's easier to step out of position when jockeying in this one.

This is the biggest problem for me, been opening up acres of room for the opposition.

Starting to consider sonething I haven't done for years in either pro evo or FIFA - taking it off the top difficulty level for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Faker74 wrote: »
    This is the biggest problem for me, been opening up acres of room for the opposition.

Starting to consider sonething I haven't done for years in either pro evo or FIFA - taking it off the top difficulty level for a while

im the exact same, havent played online yet cannot keep the computer scoreless on ledgendary. getting stuffed in all the matches! just cant get the hang of it but will have to keep trying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I love the defensive system. I dont find it cheap most of the time while online. Those players previous years who just held down B and A the whole time to defend are getting found out, and how. Im hammering most teams that I beat. And im not playing as the typical Real, Barca, ManU, Inter etc. I noticed lots of rage quitters this year. Have had about 5 or 6 quitters on me from about 15 or 20 games.

It takes time to master but once you do its very satisfying. People still abuse the lobbed through ball this year though, but its not as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I. LOVE. TACTICAL. DEFENDING.

It's brilliant. Almost sure I have it down now. At the start of my career mode as United on World Class, I was conceding goals and dropping points all over the place. I gradually got better, found the best way for me to defend and watched a few tutorials on YouTube. My last 3 results were 4-0 away to Chelsea, 2-0 away to Liverpool and 5-0 at home to Norwich. Chelsea and Liverpool were a real test, but my god it was so satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Love it! Requires huge amount of concentration but rewards players who read the game. Just stay patient and pick the moment to strike...or force a wayward pass. Push/pull is also great (helps force them make silly passes) if used correctly. Much better system than the cannonball that existed before.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Futbolero

Tactical Defending pisses the crap out of me but I go from legacy to tactical back and forth because I know I'd be cheating myself out of the game If I go back to the easier way.

I dropped it to Semi-Pro though. I don't like how the AI turns into superstart teams. Even weak teams like Wigan dribble and have 100% passing. Thank god the game has sliders though, even though I have everything at 50%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

do ye use the jockey button? Im not and getting along ok so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Well the goal keeper exploit has well and truly ruined tactical defending online, for the time being at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Bit off luck they switch the game back to the legacy defending because the new way is cack, you could jockey someone in FIFA 11 but you could also put in a good tackles,

why force this new way on everyone it's a joke also pressing select and using the goalkeeper on ultimate team letting you defend with A1 computer :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Well the goal keeper exploit has well and truly ruined tactical defending online, for the time being at least.

what goal keeper exploit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Predator_ wrote: »
    what goal keeper exploit?

Pressing Select and letting te AI control the defence on World Class while you just control the Keeper!

All the ****eads are using it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Pressing Select and letting te AI control the defence on World Class while you just control the Keeper!

:eek: I was wondering why people were so good at it. I had kind of gotten used to attacking people with the new system and I've been turning into trouble a lot more the last few days. Jesus fupping christ, it's not like legacy defending is even great in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Patsy fyre wrote: »

can you do that for an online game?

Predator_ wrote: »
    can you do that for an online game?

Ya you can.

I wasn't aware until reading here yesterday and put down my bad run to it entirely.

I went back and first game or two I used it a few times, though personally I found myself switching back if they got near the box as I didn't want to be controlling the goalie if they shot....and I unlike the CPU will close down the space for a pass/shot so I was more effective.

After 2/3 games I didn't even use it again(and barely in those games), and Ive lost around 2 from my last 20.

I think its only something that will help someone who's REALLY bad at defending, it's not going to help an average player beat a good one, if they shoot and you're not positioned wrong, it's a goal, i caught some fella out yest, could tell with the late dive he was the Goalie :D

It does have one use, good for if you want a smoke and if theyre building the play up slow :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Slowly (and i mean slowly) getting the hang of it. Tend to bring the computer towards the player, while i try and position myself right though, so i'd like to get better at it myself.

Question though, is it possible to change how aggresive the cpu having them tacke? It pisses me off that calling the defender just makes him run towards the attacker, and then just follow him around. Can you get him to actually make a tackle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

Kiith wrote: »
    Slowly (and i mean slowly) getting the hang of it. Tend to bring the computer towards the player, while i try and position myself right though, so i'd like to get better at it myself.

Question though, is it possible to change how aggresive the cpu having them tacke? It pisses me off that calling the defender just makes him run towards the attacker, and then just follow him around. Can you get him to actually make a tackle?

It's driving me mad. Very slowly getting to grips but still losing games I should cruise. When attacking it seems easier to make space, but defending it's so hard to close the space down.. The other thing bugging me it the penalty system totally unable to get to grips with that:mad:

Advertisement