Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako ammo....

Options
  • 30-09-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Have a box of sako 139gr racehead ammo i bought a few years ago when i first bought my rifle. At the time i bought them they were the only 6.5 ammo the dealer had in stock. Never got to use them. They are matchking HPBT. Today i was looking through the sako ammo site and looking down through the cartridge chat at these bullets and it says that they are suitable for small to medium light skinned animals. Dont know if this is a mistake or could i use these bullets for maybe fallow does or prickets??? Thanks in advance lads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not sure about the use of this cartridge on small game like that, since I've only shot elk/moose with the 140gr SPRN 6.5x55, especially as SAKO made it for long-range target shooting....

This is from the SAKO site - 'Racehead....A thin jacketed, match hollow point and boat tail bullet (Sierra Match King®) developed solely for rifle competition. When you need long-range accuracy, demand this load.'

I guess that in Ireland you are permitted to use FMJ ammunition on game animals.

Just sayin'.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

A deer would hardly go far if you used a neck shot on him with this ammo would it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

why use ammo the company says is only for target shooting,theres plenty of hunting ammo availible

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mountainy Jack

rowa wrote: »
    A deer would hardly go far if you used a neck shot on him with this ammo would it ?

I wouldn't use them. You won't have the same expansion with them as if you were using bullets designed specifically for game. We could go into what ifs regards shot placement but it's not really relevant. Buy a box of proper game ammunition and use the sakos for target practice.

Not the point, Rowa mo chara. In many countries the use of FMJ bullets on live animal targets is not only frowned upon, but actively and expensively prohibited.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

bazza888 wrote: »
    why use ammo the company says is only for target shooting,theres plenty of hunting ammo availible

The op said the sako website states the ammo is suitable for thin skinned game, but i do take your point , a box of good suitable expanding game ammo should last a season.

The op said the sako website states the ammo is suitable for thin skinned game, but i do take your point , a box of good suitable expanding game ammo should last a season.

I'll just reiterate my quote from the SAKO ammunition website - http://www.sako.fi/cartrid_range.php

'Racehead....A thin jacketed, match hollow point and boat tail bullet (Sierra Match King®) developed solely for rifle competition. When you need long-range accuracy, demand this load.'

I didn't make it up, I'm not clever enuff, me.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

If you can look at the chart on the sako site, scroll down to 6.5x55 radcehead and look across the board, it has a black box in line with a roe deer but also in line with a target sign. I wont be using these on game but is this a mistake by sako on there ballistics table would these be also suitable for thin to medium skinned game and target shooting??? Is it impossible to produce a bullet that can be used for both, thats my question, just have a look a the ballistics chart. Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

its says recommended for roe and small antelopes don't know about the antelope but a roe is a good bit smaller than any of the three deer species on this island and a lot easier killed

Apologies to all who may have been offended by my post pointing out that FMJ centre-fire ammunition, particularly of the target type, is not usually used on game because of lack of expansion and the resultant clean kill associated with ammunition that is designed to expand in impact.

Of course, in your own country you must feel free to use whatever type of ammunition you want on whatever game you wish to shoot.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Have a box of sako 139gr racehead ammo i bought a few years ago when i first bought my rifle. At the time i bought them they were the only 6.5 ammo the dealer had in stock. Never got to use them. They are matchking HPBT. Today i was looking through the sako ammo site and looking down through the cartridge chat at these bullets and it says that they are suitable for small to medium light skinned animals. Dont know if this is a mistake or could i use these bullets for maybe fallow does or prickets??? Thanks in advance lads...

Developed for Target, but like Berger VLD's it was discovered that they make a really accurate hunting round when the hit targets with 3+ inches of flesh as they penetrate deep with a widening wound channel.

I did not believe how good Boat Tailed Hollow points were as a hunting round until I saw foxes mushed with them.
    A friend finds the HPBT rounds very effective on deer for longer shots where extreme accuracy is needed.

Has nobody watched the Berger VLD video on you tube ;-)

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IE#/watch?v=voyw1H-0CBI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Berger makes two different types of VLD. One is designed for controlled expansion and the other is a harder pure target bullet. The SMK has a reputation for expanding but it's not its core design function, so I wouldn't be confident in its ability to do it consistently and predictably. I've heard good things about the Lapua Scenar on game from an authoritative source or two but for the same reason, I wouldn't be confident myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Berger makes two different types of VLD. One is designed for controlled expansion and the other is a harder pure target bullet. The SMK has a reputation for expanding but it's not its core design function, so I wouldn't be confident in its ability to do it consistently and predictably. I've heard good things about the Lapua Scenar on game from an authoritative source or two but for the same reason, I wouldn't be confident myself.
    The scenars and SMK have a tough /thick copper jacket (ideal for tight twist barrels ,match shooting )but unless you hit heavy bone they wont perform well on game !Berger vld( hunting heads )are a different with their light copper jacket are very popular in the states for on the spot kills on all types of game .

where are you getting the VLD data from? and the OPs Raceheads are thin walled as per sako

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

where are you getting the VLD data from? and the OPs Raceheads are thin walled as per sako

The Racehead is a Sierra Matchking.

The Racehead is a Sierra Matchking.

Which has a thin wall, but OP.
    Try them out on a gone off side of bacon or meat from the butchers.

If they get pulverised upon impact then you know your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

Ill be up your way soon sako get out of this fog very little shooting can be done here getting some bullets myself changing grain will zero together. Hope we get that monster buck. Leave it to me ill train ya in :rolleyes: LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

I wouldn't use them. You won't have the same expansion with them as if you were using bullets designed specifically for game. We could go into what ifs regards shot placement but it's not really relevant. Buy a box of proper game ammunition and use the sakos for target practice.

+1.
    Not really a lot that can be added to that. As ever use the right tool for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Well lads, took the raceheads out this evening to try them out. Didnt get the gone of bacon but bought a few turnips instead, not the best test subject but its all i could get me hands on. Anyways i went out into the field and set up the targets at 50 yrds. 1st bullet was the 120gr norsler bt, turned the turnip into a million pieces. 2nd bullet was the 140gr federal fusion, destroyed the target, not as dramatic as the 120 gr tough! Then the 139gr sako racehead (sierra matchking). Pulled the trigger and nothing. Thought to myself i couldnt of missed that so i reloaded a sent another racehead towards the turnip and again nothing. I got up and walked towards it and picked it up and looked at it, a small hole gone straight through it without any damage whatsoever. Needless to say i wont be using the sako raceheads for any game at all. One thing for them is they are an extremely acurate round.......

• Advertisement

'Nuff said.

tac

Advertisement