Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dry pen

• 30-09-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I'm n the process of converting a pen n a 3 bay hay shed to a winter dry pen for cattle. Its 20 ft x 15 ft n size. It already has 2 concrete walls at the right angle.

Any suggestions tips on the best approach to this? ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

20' Dividing gate and 15' Feed barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Is the floor concreted ? I was going to do the same myself but the teagasc man was saying i'd have to concrete the floor too because its illegal to have them on the floor if its not concreted :eek: our hay shed had a floor of stones and a fine blinding on top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

polod wrote: »
    Is the floor concreted ? I was going to do the same myself but the teagasc man was saying i'd have to concrete the floor too because its illegal to have them on the floor if its not concreted :eek: our hay shed had a floor of stones and a fine blinding on top

Would you then have to have a tank and what size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Good loser wrote: »
    Would you then have to have a tank and what size?

No he said i would get away without a tank he said once ya keep it well bedded with straw there would be no run out of it .....it was just the one bay i was going to convert in a 4 bay hay shed just for when we would be tight for space with cows calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

just a tip... whenever filling out paperwork with the dept or inspections and that make sure you call it 'high straw'

it is worth considering putting in a curbing IMO.
    next step would be to put in a small effiluent tank like an old oil truck body buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

49801 wrote: »
    just a tip... whenever filling out paperwork with the dept or inspections and that make sure you call it 'high straw'

it is worth considering putting in a curbing IMO.
    next step would be to put in a small effiluent tank like an old oil truck body buried.

Ya I'm n da process of putting n a concrete floor... what u mean by curbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

adne wrote: »
    Ya I'm n da process of putting n a concrete floor... what u mean by curbing?

just a raised step of concrete so that you dont get effiluent leakage.
    nitrates and department requirment as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

aye, you have to control effluent runoff, even if you dont create any.

so you'd need a pipe or channel running to your slurry tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Put a steep fall on the floor to front, 1:20 let the slop be at the barrier. Keep the back of the pen dry. Then depending on where you are in the country you might be able to muck it out 15th Jan. Heifers will need more bedding than bulls/ bullocks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Put a steep fall on the floor to front, 1:20 let the slop be at the barrier. Keep the back of the pen dry. Then depending on where you are in the country you might be able to muck it out 15th Jan. Heifers will need more bedding than bulls/ bullocks.

Would this not leave it awkward to clean out with power box as I will be cleaning from the side not back to front

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »
    aye, you have to control effluent runoff, even if you dont create any.

so you'd need a pipe or channel running to your slurry tank.

Not an option .. slurry tank is on hill 6 ft higher and 20 metres away

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Would this not leave it awkward to clean out with power box as I will be cleaning from the side not back to front

I don't understand, what difference does it make what direction you clean it out from? Clean the whole shed out when you are doing it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

I don't understand, what difference does it make what direction you clean it out from? Clean the whole shed out when you are doing it.

If there is a slope on the floor from right to left would it not be difficult to scrape with the power box when reversing from the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Not an option .. slurry tank is on hill 6 ft higher and 20 metres away

Do you have a vacuum tanker?

bury a small tank and use the slurry tanker to move liquid up to the main tank?

Advertisement