Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a new, fancy smartphone?

Options
  • 30-09-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Obviously I have to decide for myself if I should get a smart phone or not, but looking for some opinions, or if anyone has been in the same boat as me.

I currently have a Nokia N95. It's a smartphone, but not new and fancy. It basically does everything I want, I can't think of many things an Android or iPhone can do that it can't.

It's just slow as bejaysis. Frustratingly slow. It also tends to reset itself occasionally, or freeze up if I'm running too many applications.

I'm also wondering if anyone out there uses a smartphone without being online all the time. I go online on my N95 but mainly using the Wi-Fi. I'm too much of a cheapskate to bother paying for the 'net all day when I'm already paying for Broadband at home.

I currently pay about €20 every six weeks, so my mobile expenses are very low. I've no interest in paying €30 a month which seems to be a pay plan many people would choose. Even €20 per month would be excessive.

Would it be a waste carrying around a snazzy Android phone and being too cheap to go online to check some sh*te up on Twitter?

Thanks in advance hombres and hombrettes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Howdy,

Obviously I have to decide for myself if I should get a smart phone or not, but looking for some opinions, or if anyone has been in the same boat as me.

I currently have a Nokia N95. It's a smartphone, but not new and fancy. It basically does everything I want, I can't think of many things an Android or iPhone can do that it can't.

It's just slow as bejaysis. Frustratingly slow. It also tends to reset itself occasionally, or freeze up if I'm running too many applications.

I'm also wondering if anyone out there uses a smartphone without being online all the time. I go online on my N95 but mainly using the Wi-Fi. I'm too much of a cheapskate to bother paying for the 'net all day when I'm already paying for Broadband at home.

I currently pay about €20 every six weeks, so my mobile expenses are very low. I've no interest in paying €30 a month which seems to be a pay plan many people would choose. Even €20 per month would be excessive.

Would it be a waste carrying around a snazzy Android phone and being too cheap to go online to check some sh*te up on Twitter?

Thanks in advance hombres and hombrettes.
    Possibly. Unless you use wifi only. 20euro a month would get you up to 1gb plus free calls and/or texts to home or all networks depending on plan and network choice. Smartphones on pre pay are expensive to buy too.

You could keep the 20 euro every 6 weeks and only use the smartphone internet/apps on wifi but it would defeat the purpose of having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You could look at 3 where you could get all you eat data as part of it :) If you go prepay - it will cost a good bit to buy the phone.

Only you can decide if it's worth it, I love my smartphone and enjoy looking up the "sh*te" on twitter as you put it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Wait for Nokia's first Windows Phone devices, which will be announced at Nokia World in 19 days time.
    Nokia's antenna performance - more so with their polycarbonate unibody casing (look at the N9) - , photographic design knowledge and Nokia Maps are unbeatable and together with a new operating system that is arguably better than Android and Apple's will make for a great phone.
    Smartphones don't come cheap. You have to get one on contract.
    Check out the prices when the Nokia Windows Phone devices come on the market.
    It's not worth going for cheap Android handsets as they tend to be laggy, lacking in all of the above, and with an inconsistent user experience.
    Of course all Android handsets are wasteful in the specs that they need to carry out what other phones can do on far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Queerdub wrote: »
    Smartphones don't come cheap. You have to get one on contract.

Many of us here have got the LG E-900 (Optimius 7) Windows Phone, for around €170 delivered and SIM/contract free. Best phone I've ever owned, and I dumped Nokia as a brand due to their rubbish OS and software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i had the n95 1gb on o2
    i switched to a cheap galaxy europa on 3pay
    its light years ahead of tbe nokia ime anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have a HTC Desire, I'm on Meteors monthly contract, €10 per month includes a some minutes and texts which I don't really use and an extra €5 a month for 200mb data allowance.

Suits me just fine, I'm not tied into a contract and can use 3g whenever I want, I just keep autosync off to stop myself going over the allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

A belated thanks for all the replies.

My N95's screen is gone all messed up so it's nice timing to get a Smartphone part-bought for me as a Christmas present.

I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy W at the moment.

I'll start a new thread on it.

Still making my mind up on whether to go bill and up my mobile spending or just to stick me pre-pay as I'm currently doing.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Replace the ribbon cable on the n95 and it will be as good as new :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Davy wrote: »
    Replace the ribbon cable on the n95 and it will be as good as new :pac:

Great. I'll look forward to your detailed tutorial on how to do just that.

:D

Or stop ruining my excuse to get a new phone!

Advertisement