Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon running shoe

Options
  • 30-09-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations for a good lightweight marathon shoe. I used the Lunar racer in the Waterford half whilst they were ok my left foot blistered up. Any ideas would be much appreciated as dublin is only 30 days away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 biker41

for the best shoes i would go for Asics. To prevent blisters wear your new shoes as much as you can before the marathon and also the socks you intend to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

biker41 wrote: »
    for the best shoes i would go for Asics. To prevent blisters wear your new shoes as much as you can before the marathon and also the socks you intend to wear.
    cheers biker i need to sort something out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

what size are you Lar?

size 9 or 9.5 tell me u have something?

I'm a 10, was going to let you take the Manas for a spin

• Advertisement

Where would i get a pair of them are they adidas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only recently got into wearing different shoes for racing in, but decided that I needed something with at least some level of support for my upcoming marathon. Picked up a pair of Adidas Tempo last week and happily used them in a half that weekend after having done no more than a couple of miles round the block in them. Not issues with them and that pair are now being kept safely tucked away with no more miles getting logged on them until the marathon.

A few other pairs that I was trying on were just too minimalist to be doing a full marathon in.

Fair play i think i am leaning on them now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Try on a few and see what feels right. I went through a couple of different Adidas, some Saucony that felt great but didn't have any support that I wanted for a marathon shoe, some Nike Luna something that looked odd and felt even wronger...then I settled on one of the Adidas.

I then tried on an extremely light weight Brooks pair just to compare them to the others I was being put into, but I'll wait until I'm back on some very short distances before going back to pick up a pair of them as well.

You have to try them on and see how they feel to run in before buying though.

It helped that I got to spend my winnings in that shop from the various vouchers I'd won recently. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pop into Amphibian King and try on a pair of Mizuno Precisions (if you're a neutral runner). They're a nice light shoe, with a bit of cushioning. I'll be wearing them in 9 days time in Chicago. :)

• Advertisement

pre wrote: »
    Where would i get a pair of them are they adidas.

Wiggle are doing 20% off this weekend 20OFF_ROW
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-adizero-tempo-4-m-shoes/

I love the tempos - plan to wear them in RTM, I think you'd get away with the Manas

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Wearing Brooks Adrenaline at the minute, really like them but not lightweight racers.

Would have always wore asics but think i'll stay with the brooks from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations for a good lightweight marathon shoe.

Nobody from their computer can recommend shoes for you.
    You really have to go to a shop, e.g. Runways/Base2Race/Amphibian in Dublin, and get fitted.
    You may be leaving it a bit late for new shoes before DCM.

Pop into Amphibian King and try on a pair of Mizuno Precisions (if you're a neutral runner). They're a nice light shoe, with a bit of cushioning. I'll be wearing them in 9 days time in Chicago. :)
    Thanks krusty are u doing DCM

robinph wrote: »
    I only recently got into wearing different shoes for racing in, but decided that I needed something with at least some level of support for my upcoming marathon. Picked up a pair of Adidas Tempo last week and happily used them in a half that weekend after having done no more than a couple of miles round the block in them. Not issues with them and that pair are now being kept safely tucked away with no more miles getting logged on them until the marathon.

A few other pairs that I was trying on were just too minimalist to be doing a full marathon in.
    I ordered a pair of adizero boston the green ones ill try them for a few long runs are they similar to the tempo

I honestly can't remember what the guy said about the Boston ones. They were mentioned and pointed out on the shelf, but I didn't try those ones on.

Sound ill give them a go should have them the middle of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

George Webs?
    Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations for a good lightweight marathon shoe. I used the Lunar racer in the Waterford half whilst they were ok my left foot blistered up. Any ideas would be much appreciated as dublin is only 30 days away.

Saucony kinvara might work. Some people here who use lunar racers find the kinvara more forgiving for marathon length. I have a pair and find them pretty cushioned, yet light and fast. Like most if not all light shoes they won't have much stability though so unless you are a neutral runner your form will go to pot a bit in the later stages.

Pronator wrote: »
    George Webs?

Is he going on the pull after - leave the white socks on :p

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    Saucony kinvara might work. Some people here who use lunar racers find the kinvara more forgiving for marathon length. I have a pair and find them pretty cushioned, yet light and fast. Like most if not all light shoes they won't have much stability though so unless you are a neutral runner your form will go to pot a bit in the later stages.
    Thanks for the feedback ill check them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

http://www.dailymile.com/blog/running/review-of-the-saucony-kinvara-as-a-marathon-shoe

they look the business

Very good link there. I never wore saucony they look perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What is your normal training shoe? I use mostly lunarglides but use lunarracers for shorter races and speed sessions. I've worn kinvaras for my last two marathons and they are the business. So another +1 for them

menoscemo wrote: »
    What is your normal training shoe? I use mostly lunarglides but use lunarracers for shorter races and speed sessions. I've worn kinvaras for my last two marathons and they are the business. So another +1 for them
    I normally wear the lunarracer in races of half marathon or less. My last marathon i wore the lunarelite which were fine. I think ill try the Adizero boston and see how they go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I normally wear the lunarracer in races of half marathon or less. My last marathon i wore the lunarelite which were fine. I think ill try the Adizero boston and see how they go

Same as me for races, but my question was what do you use in training?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Same as me for races, but my question was what do you use in training?
    Lunar eclipse at the moment and was using lunar glide 2 for a while

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

IMO kinvara are like a more cushioned lunaracer. I've was racing in kinvara's but used the lunaracers in the national half without problems. With lunaracers do you have? the originals or the 2's?

Advertisement