Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross Nagle - Man or Superman?

Options
  • 30-09-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Whats this? A thread that doesn't ask where's the best tattoo studio in Galway / Dublin etc? Well I never! (if I see another one of those f**kin threads I'm coming to look for you! Use the search bar you lazy bas**rds! You make the forum like frikkin Groundhog day.)

Anyway, moving on from my glib / ranty opening, I just wanted to say well done and much respect (as Ali G might say), to Ross Nagle of All Star Ink who was over at the London Tattoo Convention this year.

Whats so big about that you ask? Well, unless they've changed the rules; London is an invite only affair and some of the best Tattoo Artists in the world tattoo there.

In attendance this year were the likes of Genko, Shige, Ribero, Butcher, Hurtado and Portugal.

Now, I dont know Ross and I dont even have a tattoo by him, but credit where it was due and he must be doing something right to have received an invite.

Kudos Ross.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He's good but there are better in Limerick IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'll take your word on that. They've been doing a good job hiding from my tattoo radar anyway.

No, this is a well done Ross thread. Some of us, well me to be exact, bemoan the level of talent available in Ireland, especially the homegrown variety; and while I still die a little inside everytime I go browsing various studios online portfolios, its nice to see a very good Irish tattoo artist representing at what is probably the top tattoo event in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Melion wrote: »

Like who if you don't mind me asking?
    I am getting another tatoo in the next couple of months and wanna look around.
    When Ross was an apprentice he did a back piece for me. He insisted on not filling the tribal piece in fully as it would be too common. He did an unbelievable free hand maori piece, no extra charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

who do you think is better? just wondering.

who do you think is better? just wondering.

There are 2 in Bullmans who are better IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I've had experience of quite a few different artists in the city, but have to give Ross his dues, the man did wonders on my leg piece. There are others that have worked on me that are just as good and that I'd recommend too.
    What turned me off going to All Star was that a few times when I went into the shop to discuss pieces that I wanted done there seemed to be an unwillingness by the others in there to help design a piece or even though I told them exactly what I wanted (which was not overly complex), I got the feeling that they didn't want to know unless the design was complete already, I am no artist and don't want a dime a dozen design on my body, that is why I get them designed with me . They weren't that friendly, and if I'm getting inked I want it done in a place I'm comfortable.
    When ever I've gone to Bullmans they have been a lot more helpful and friendly (IMO) and have gone over my ideas and worked with me to get exactly what I want.

There are 2 in Bullmans who are better IMO

Sound, thats good to know that there's some up and coming talent here on Craggy Island. Any chance of their names?
    I've checked the Hard Knox fbook page and I certainly dont think they're featured there anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

From the point of view of Irish tattooists engaging with the UK and international scene i.e participating in high level conventions and bringing over 'big name' tattooists from abroad to do guest spots, All Star Ink is one of the best in the country.

I believe that in the style which Ross Nagle works in, predominantly traditional and some japanese influence, he is one of the best tattooists in the country. He is head and shoulders above the proliferating numbers of scratchers popping up in every provincial town in the country.

Is the best in the country? Clearly not necessarily, if you're not looking for trad style. If you're looking for, for example, black and grey / colour realism or pure Japanese (there I would think people like Remis and Chris Crooks in N.I, Joe Myler etc. would have to come in).

As far as people's shop experiences in All Star goes: Look, I'm not doubting anyone, but one thing I would say is that a guy like Ross predominantly does custom work. I find it difficult to believe that any of the recent work he has done (in the past 1-2 years) hasn't been custom. You can actually see the evolution of a personal style in terms of his trad tattooing - religious imagery, use of outlines, influences from the guest artists he's had and whatnot. Moving in circles like the London Tattoo Convention there is simply no way he is tattooing much customer-provided designs 'as is', or even much flash, I suspect.

I've had experience of quite a few different artists in the city, but have to give Ross his dues, the man did wonders on my leg piece. There are others that have worked on me that are just as good and that I'd recommend too.
    What turned me off going to All Star was that a few times when I went into the shop to discuss pieces that I wanted done there seemed to be an unwillingness by the others in there to help design a piece or even though I told them exactly what I wanted (which was not overly complex), I got the feeling that they didn't want to know unless the design was complete already, I am no artist and don't want a dime a dozen design on my body, that is why I get them designed with me . They weren't that friendly, and if I'm getting inked I want it done in a place I'm comfortable.
    When ever I've gone to Bullmans they have been a lot more helpful and friendly (IMO) and have gone over my ideas and worked with me to get exactly what I want.

Hi Zombiebride,

Welcome to boards. Maybe pop up a pick of the piece on the "I'll show me mine..." thread.

Pity you had a less than good experience in All Star (or any studio for that matter) but the truth of the matter is that (and I'm sure you're aware of this), tattoo artists are ,in many cases, not normal folks. They are nomadic. Sometimes have a rebellious attitude a dont give a f//k.

Thats part of the reason they do tattoo in the 1st place. The tattoo shows have given people a somewhat false sense of what a tattoo shop is about (i'm speaking generally here, not strictly your situation), not every shop will be willing to work with you, not all artists will even want to talk to you, and most artists couldn't give a sh1t why you're getting your tattoo in the 1st place.

I just took a look at the other Limerick studio mentioned in this thread (their gallery on their website, at least).

For those curious-
    http://www.tattooireland.com/index2.asp

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    They are nomadic. Sometimes have a rebellious attitude a dont give a f//k.

Thats part of the reason they do tattoo in the 1st place. The tattoo shows have given people a somewhat false sense of what a tattoo shop is about (i'm speaking generally here, not strictly your situation), not every shop will be willing to work with you, not all artists will even want to talk to you, and most artists couldn't give a sh1t why you're getting your tattoo in the 1st place.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, I'm sure when I walked into the shop they had doubts about my appreciation and enthusiasm for tattoos and that I would really come back to get the large piece I was asking for. (I look like a librarian at the best of times, though under the clothes I have a tattoo from left wrist to shoulder, left thigh to mid calf, right hip to ankle, as well as various on the torso).
    The guys in Bullmans are used to seeing me walk in so wouldn't doubt that the large piece that I'm asking for is the piece I want.
    But this thread is about Ross, and I do applaud the work he did on my leg, and would recommend him as I said in an earlier post, as I would others in Bullmans. I'll get a picture of it for the other thread you mentioned.

I went in to AllStar last week to see about getting a piece like this done
    mikes_neck.jpg

The guy who i was talking to(Not Ross) said it would be pointless as the lines would bleed together within 2-3 years but they could draw me up a nice traditional rose that Ross would be doing. Im sorry but i dont want a traditional rose, if i did i would have asked. The guy i was talking to was a gent (and i know he is on boards as he told me he was) but they just seemed desperate to push a traditional piece. Ive been told by 2 other artists that they could do it no problem at all so i will be giving one of them my business instead.

And i wouldnt bother with that website for Bullmans that was just posted. It looks very very old, this is a more fair representation of the work coming out of there now http://www.facebook.com/bullmans.tattoostudio

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

In fairness, Melion, you went to a tattoo shop that does traditional tattoos and asked them to copy a tattoo done by one of the best realism tattooers in the world.

The problem here is
    1: They don't do that style of work
    2: They only like doing custom designs for the most part
    3: They are of the view that such tattoos do not age well and are unwilling to do them.

Now there's no reason why they couldn't have been polite in saying they wouldn't be able to do it and if they acted like arseholes when you approached them to do it then that is unacceptable.

This whole "tattooers are nomadic" thing doesn't wash with me. They are providing a service. Tattooers should try to be friendly, just like in any other job. They put pretty pictures on peoples skin. They aren't saving the world. Any bull**** attitude from a tattooer can fúck off in my opinion.

Also, I'd love to know what other artists said they'd be able to do that Mike Devries piece no problem?

In fairness, Melion, you went to a tattoo shop that does traditional tattoos and asked them to copy a tattoo done by one of the best realism tattooers in the world.

The problem here is
    3: They are of the view that such tattoos do not age well and are unwilling to do them.

Now there's no reason why they couldn't have been polite in saying they wouldn't be able to do it and if they acted like arseholes when you approached them to do it then that is unacceptable.

This whole "tattooers are nomadic" thing doesn't wash with me. They are providing a service. Tattooers should try to be friendly, just like in any other job. They put pretty pictures on peoples skin. They aren't saving the world. Any bull**** attitude from a tattooer can fúck off in my opinion.

Also, I'd love to know what other artists said they'd be able to do that Mike Devries piece no problem?

I agree with your post for the most part but IMO the "nomadic thing" rings true. If we class the "nomadic thing" as someone not not living by normal societal rules, which some of them/us demonstrate in part through appearance.
    Also alot of tattoo artists have rock n roll type attitudes and some live a rock n roll life, thats not to say they cant give good customer service, but if its a case that they cant they should employ someone who can.

Saying tattoo artists "should try to be friendly" is all well and good, but its like me saying to you to work in a tech call centre and have some moron who probably shouldnt event own a PC call you, and me saying "try to be patient", some people aren't wired like that.

The problem here is

I didnt ask them to copy it, i would never want an exact copy of someone elses work. I wanted to use that as a guideline but i was flat out told, "there is no point but here have a nice traditional one instead." In my opinion, no shop should pigeon hole themselves so much that they can only do one kind of tattoo, what is the point in that? Its all well and good being exceptional at something but dont let the rest of your work and art suffer for it.

Like i said, i dont want that exact piece. I want something like it, not a traditional rose. Someone else in Limerick is going to be doing it in 2-3 weeks hopefully.

Well I'm a tattooer and have no time for tattooers with rock star attitudes or a high sense of self worth and I don't believe being a tattooer is an excuse to acting like a dickhead.

The majority of world class tattooers that I've seen are humble and friendly.

Melion, I'd imagine that the reason they didn't want to do a tattoo in that style is down to their opinion on how such a style of tattooing will age and the longevity of it looking well on a persons body, not that they couldn't actually do it.

The more and more I see work in that style that has aged by about 5 years the more that I realise that it isn't always such a good idea to tattoo something just because it looks great for the photo the tattooer wants for his/her portfolio.

In saying that, the shop really should have elaborated a bit more on why they would have liked to do something more traditional. You're not a mind reader.

Well I'm a tattooer and have no time for tattooers with rock star attitudes or a high sense of self worth and I don't believe being a tattooer is an excuse to acting like a dickhead.

I respect that but you have to admit there are a lot of people who once they pick up a machine automatically adopt that "rockstar" attitude. Like you, i have no time for them.
    The funny thing is, from what i have been told and seen, the person who this thread is about is very guilty of turning into a "Rock Star" trying to live the high life.

Ah, classic Irish begrudgery rears its ugly head, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

sounds like Kat Von D from Miami ink lol
    I dont do colour!

What artist doesnt do colour for christ sake????

• Advertisement

F.U.B.A.R wrote: »
    sounds like Kat Von D from Miami ink lol
    I dont do colour!

What artist doesnt do colour for christ sake????
    In fairness she's playing to her strengths. By all means practice colour technique. And you could argue she's resting on her laurels to a degree, but any kvd colour tat ive seen her do, it's definitely weaker than her black and grey.

Yeah but she doesnt even try sure there wasone episode where Ami made the example that he cant do lettering for sh*t but he still practices and she replied well wy not just focus on japanese art and forget about it which is a very poor attitude business wise she's probably turning away $700-$1000 a day by not makeing the effort. Although I have to admit while I dont like her attitude I would certainly love a KVD tat! :D but that'l never happen :(

business wise she's probably turning away $700-$1000 a day by not makeing the effort

I don't know about that. She's got a finite number of hours in the day, and I'm willing to bet that she's booked solid the year round (or could be if she wanted to).

There are plenty of artists who are known for almost solely doing black and grey work.... Low Rider Tattoo, Paul Booth, Robert Hernandez, Bob Tyrell... I doubt any of these guys are losing any money by sticking to what they do best and what they have built huge careers on.

If you're an ordinary tattoo artist working in a street shop then you probably can't be too quick to turn down walk-ins or enquiries where people are looking for diverse styles (and maybe things you are not that strong in). But at the upper echelons where people have carved out niches as being known for particular styles, I think it is far less of an issue.

And to be honest, even in smaller studios I can totally understand why someone would try and focus on and build a portfolio in one or two genres. Rather than being jack of all trades, master of none (not everyone can turn their hand to every genre with equal facility) why not focus on what you're naturally drawn to and have an apptitude for. Plenty of guys making a living doing almost all japanese work, trad work or black and grey realism.

business wise she's probably turning away $700-$1000 a day by not makeing the effort

I don't know about that. She's got a finite number of hours in the day, and I'm willing to bet that she's booked solid the year round (or could be if she wanted to).

There are plenty of artists who are known for almost solely doing black and grey work.... Low Rider Tattoo, Paul Booth, Robert Hernandez, Bob Tyrell... I doubt any of these guys are losing any money by sticking to what they do best and what they have built huge careers on.

If you're an ordinary tattoo artist working in a street shop then you probably can't be too quick to turn down walk-ins or enquiries where people are looking for diverse styles (and maybe things you are not that strong in). But at the upper echelons where people have carved out niches as being known for particular styles, I think it is far less of an issue.

And to be honest, even in smaller studios I can totally understand why someone would try and focus on and build a portfolio in one or two genres. Rather than being jack of all trades, master of none (not everyone can turn their hand to every genre with equal facility) why not focus on what you're naturally drawn to and have an apptitude for. Plenty of guys making a living doing almost all japanese work, trad work or black and grey realism.
    This pretty much covers all I was going to say about kvd. She has ppl queueing out the door to get a tat done by her. Like I said, her colour stuff isn't as good as her bng work.

its no excuse is right but that doesn't stop it happening. Maybe there's also a "cool job" or exclusive club type attitude among some studios. It's definitely there as some of the threads on here will atest to. Dublin ink got an awful time for it on here if my memory serves right as did jani to a degree. I think studios are getting better and copping on to customer service levels however.

That was defiantly the feeling I got, that I just wasn't "cool" enough. But considering how much we pay for tattoos, manners wouldn't go amiss.

touche lads :) I see yer point

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Diceicle wrote: »
    I agree with your post for the most part but IMO the "nomadic thing" rings true. If we class the "nomadic thing" as someone not not living by normal societal rules, which some of them/us demonstrate in part through appearance.
    Also alot of tattoo artists have rock n roll type attitudes and some live a rock n roll life, thats not to say they cant give good customer service, but if its a case that they cant they should employ someone who can.

Saying tattoo artists "should try to be friendly" is all well and good, but its like me saying to you to work in a tech call centre and have some moron who probably shouldnt event own a PC call you, and me saying "try to be patient", some people aren't wired like that.

I think "don't act the bollix with someone who's giving you money" is a good general rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

While I don't doubt that Ross is a top artist I found the customer service poor and very off putting in All-Star. Struggling to describe it but I resolved not to return and went to that place on Shannon St which was much better. Manners were rough and I didn't feel welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Ross did my last tattoo for me a few months back and I couldn't be happier.

271110_1454817425991_1700008024_731595_5355761_n.jpg

Also found them all top notch when booking and while waiting. Would definitely go back there again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement