Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price to wire new house

Options
  • 30-09-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi I am just beginning a new build and I have a PC sum of €9000 for electrics. The spec is very basic after requesting an exact breakdown of what the €9000 included even though the spec I gave to the builder specified data cables, cables to windows for alarms, cable to attic hatch, garage door, outside lights etc. Some of those are included but only 10m of cable for instance is included to the gate which is more like 100m away at end of drive. I'm not happy. I realise that individual sockets can be priced at up to €100 each but in these times (plus the fact there are actually 2 large houses to tender and not 1) I hoped for better than €9000 per house bog basic wiring job.

I am going to future proof the house while doing it at all. Want to run data cables to all rooms as well as tv points to most. All brought back to central hub. I could go into huge detail here but basically houses are 3000 sq/ft and we want to get the cable in now. What should I realistically be looking at. P.s if its €15000 I dont mind that I just want to know before I go back to sparkie.

Also thinking of sitting down with an aquaintance who does smarthome work and getting him to design the wiring plan. Then get a sparkie to do the work. More peace of mind that way...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

I paid 7500 for an adequate spec plenty of sockets and about 30 downlighters , it also inlcuded provision for outside lights and provision to garage. I didn't have a huge amount of data points etc as where does one stop. It is difficult to say how your price is without knowing the specifics of sockets, downlighters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

My brother and I are both going with similar spec on 2 300 sq ft houses. €9000 per house. Basic sockets to rooms. 6 LED's and strip lighting in kitchen. Few spots in living room & sitting room. TV points and telephone points to living room & sitting room and Master bedroom. Wire to gates (10m!) and prewire for alarm. 4 outside lights. Thats basically it. I know thats a lot of wiring but its also not very creative. To be fair we have still not spoken to electrician about it but we did make multiple references to the wiring in our spec.

We want a full structured wiring job done to future proof the house. Much of the electrical appliances (t'vs, bluerays, multiroom AV distribution equiptment) may not go in first day but we need the wiring infrasctucture i.e data cables, speaker cable put in now. I dont see that being extravagant. Anything that may be automated in future like blinds in kitchen & sunroom I'd wire for. Garage door, entrance lane lights. Multiple data cable Cat5/Cat6 & maybe some fibre optic to tv points. Central hub in Utility to be designed with future equiptment in mind. Possible area of mood lighting in downstairs living areas so that may also require Cat5 cables to those lights as well as standard electrical power cables (not sure about this). Cable runs to chimney for sky dishes(possibly 4 cables or more). Wire heat pump, central vac, well pump,heat recovery ventilation & biocycle in garden. Thermostats in heating zones (underfloor heating). The thing that may cost a bit extra is a central wiring hub if i decided to go with that righ now but hopefully this gives a good picture of what I wnat to achieve.

Current price includes approx 40 sockets, 6 recessed lights, heat detector, smoke detector, fuse board, heating controls, 6 tv points, 9 phone points & all basic wiring such as lights. Light fittings other than standard not included. Sockets are click curva in white. We were also quoted for solar wiring even though we have no solar, thermostats to rads even though we have underfloor. This is the maddening thing. Its as though no thought went into this at all. Copy and paste from an old spec & throw in €9000 on the bill

Frankly with 2 houses on offer we want a lot more for our money. What should I be looking at for the wiring roughly to get to this level??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Sounds like you have only had one quote for this, I'd be asking to get quotes off another two companies before you go any further.

Also you haven't mentioned what the house type is? If it's a block build and the spark is including chasing walls it's one thing and if it's a timber frame with a services cavity it's another.

I'm also going to put in at least two runs of data cable to every room in the house from a central hub under the stairs but as it's a TF and to save costs I'll run the cables myself so 910m of CAT5e will cost less than €250 and another €50 will cover a crimping tool and connectors. :cool:

BTW there is a dedicated sub-forum for discussing prices/costs so it might be in your benefit to PM a mod and ask them to kindly move your thread.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs sub forum

Advertisement