Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling kittens

• 30-09-2011 8:23pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

As far as I know, it is illegal to sell kittens and puppies in pet shops over here right? Today I got a phonecall from a rather distraught friend who had just seen kittens for sale in a pet shop. I told her to contact the ISPCA but as far as i know, this pet shop has been reported a few times and nothing has been done about it. Does anyone know what the actual law is in regards to selling kittens and puppies in a pet shop like this? I want to go in and have 'a chat' with the owner and see if I can get him to hand them over, but I know I'll probably be threatened with the gardai:rolleyes: and banned from the shop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Shanao wrote: »
    As far as I know, it is illegal to sell kittens and puppies in pet shops over here right? Today I got a phonecall from a rather distraught friend who had just seen kittens for sale in a pet shop. I told her to contact the ISPCA but as far as i know, this pet shop has been reported a few times and nothing has been done about it. Does anyone know what the actual law is in regards to selling kittens and puppies in a pet shop like this? I want to go in and have 'a chat' with the owner and see if I can get him to hand them over, but I know I'll probably be threatened with the gardai:rolleyes: and banned from the shop

Are the kittens being mis treated? Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean other people should comply with you. Is you were a vegetarian, would you go into a butchers and have 'a chat' with the owner?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unfortunately, it is not illegal to sell pups or kittens in pet shops. They are licenced to do so.
    The only way anything can be done is if there's a breach of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1965, Section 25. It's not often this can be used though.
    It is nothing short of infuriating.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Are the kittens being mis treated? Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean other people should comply with you. Is you were a vegetarian, would you go into a butchers and have 'a chat' with the owner?

I know this pet shop and it is one renowned for having dead animals in cages, animals with no food and stinking of animal waste. So yeah, I doubt these kittens are going to be too well cared for.:rolleyes:

DBB wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it is not illegal to sell pups or kittens in pet shops. They are licenced to do so.
    The only way anything can be done is if there's a breach of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1965, Section 25. It's not often this can be used though.
    It is nothing short of infuriating.

And here was me thinking it was illegal to sell them over here in pet shops. I know a girl who took two kittens with cat flu off of them about two years ago, I'm hoping they'll listen to reason and hand them over. People who have unwanted kittens just bring them to the shop and they sell them on for profit:mad:

I know this pet shop and it is one renowned for having dead animals in cages, animals with no food and stinking of animal waste. So yeah, I doubt these kittens are going to be too well cared for.:rolleyes:

So then call the police, if their is animal cruelty. At least these kittens aren't in a shelter where they would be put down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

At least these kittens aren't in a shelter where they would be put down.

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, there are many many shelters and rescues working very hard 24/7 to find new homes for cats, not put them down

So then call the police, if their is animal cruelty. At least these kittens aren't in a shelter where they would be put down.

The only 'shelter' around that puts animals down is a pound, I would far prefer they were in a rescue center than in this place. Lately people have even sunk so low as buying kittens, or taking kittens free to good homes to feed to snakes. And the staff in this shop dont care where the animals go, and I would prefer they ended up somewhere safe rather than potentially in the hands of someone who's not going to care about them or abuse them. And the gardai have been told about this place on numerous occasions too and do nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Shanao; what part of Ireland is this place ? Dublin? City centre?

Its in Cork. Though I've heard of a place in Dublin city that's supposedly just as bad:(

So have you called the police?

• Advertisement

So have you called the police?

Doubt the 'police' would be much help somehow. And because our animal welfare law is 100years old this year, there isn't much they could do anyway.

Doubt the 'police' would be much help somehow. And because our animal welfare law is 100years old this year, there isn't much they could do anyway.

Ill take that as a no so, if your concerned about the kittens i feel you are letting them down by not reporting it.

As i've already said, the ISPCA are being contacted, and the gardai have been contacted before for cases like this and have not been helpful. I'm sick of hearing 'We cant do anything about that' while animals continue to suffer on. I'm going to try and get them out of there if I can, so I cant really see where I'm 'letting them down'?

As i've already said, the ISPCA are being contacted, and the gardai have been contacted before for cases like this and have not been helpful. I'm sick of hearing 'We cant do anything about that' while animals continue to suffer on. I'm going to try and get them out of there if I can, so I cant really see where I'm 'letting them down'?

Your not letting them down if you are doing all that. Have you thought about possibly buying them all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Your not letting them down if you are doing all that. Have you thought about possibly buying them all?

That's the one thing that should not be done. If someone buys those kittens they'll be replaced with more unfortunate kittens the following day and the owner gets money and knows he'll get a profit from mistreating animals

Exactly. I'm hoping I can talk them into giving them up. Managed it before with five collie puppies, so hopefully they'll listen and give in again this time.

Exactly. I'm hoping I can talk them into giving them up. Managed it before with five collie puppies, so hopefully they'll listen and give in again this time.

How did you get him to hand them over? Did they end up in homes?

How did you get him to hand them over? Did they end up in homes?

The collies were in a different petshop, pretty much ended up with me and two friends pleading with them until they finally gave in and handed them over. All five got homed through us and are all doing great now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's disappointing, I thought it was illegal. In the US you'll see glass cages full of puppies, I thought that wasn't possible here:mad:

But who would be dumb enough to buy a kitten in a shop when half the country is trying to give them away for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

planetX wrote: »
    It's disappointing, I thought it was illegal. In the US you'll see glass cages full of puppies, I thought that wasn't possible here:mad:

But who would be dumb enough to buy a kitten in a shop when half the country is trying to give them away for free?

Probably the same people who would prefer to buy a pup from a less than desirable source than get a pup of the same breed in a pound/rescue because they see it that the pup you pay money for is superior to the 'hand-me down cheaper version' for some reason. Or maybe people naively think that by buying from a petshop the kitten will have been better looked after than someone who just had a woops litter. :confused:

I really wish it was much harder to set up a petshop to sell live animals. Would love to see some sort of a licence system come in that meant in order to sell live animals you had to do a course in animal care (of whatever field you were planning on selling- fish, smallies or reptiles), sit an exam and have regular unannounced checks. At least that would mean that those selling them were dedicated enough to give out valid and true information and not just sell any animal to just any joe soap that came off the street. The amount of pet shops that I have been in that had rabbits and guinea pigs housed together, dirty and empty water bottles, animals under strong lights with little or no shelter to escape from children banging on the glass, dead fish in tanks, dead hamsters in cages while it's littermates eat it (I know this is nature but the dead animal shouldn't be left in the cage long enough for it's sibling/s to devour over half it's body), and just overall dirty and poor conditions, crappy untrue information being given out and cages being sold with animals that are far far too small for an ant to live in nevermind a hamster/gerbil/rabbit/guinea pig. :mad:

Sorry that's my rant over. Remember that place on long mile road that started selling pups a few years ago, from what I remember didn't constant pressure, boycotts, petitions and protests eventually result in them changing management and stopping the sale of pups?

• Advertisement
Advertisement