Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoke Repair

• 30-09-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

I'm not patient enough to watch the lengthy youtube videos and was hoping to maybe get a quick answer on here if possible! The other day coming home from a cycle I notice a spoke on rear wheel is out of nipple thingy and just kinda hanging there. I'm able to bend it back to where it belongs, but it looks loose there.

1) Am I safe enough heading out for a cycle if I just take it off?
    2) If (1) is ok do I need to also remove the nipple or can I just leave it floating there?
    3) The nipple seems loose and wobbles around (no jokes please!) - is the only way to tighten it from the outside? If it's already loose does that mean it's broken?
    4) From the above does it sound like I'll be able to do a repair job with the pieces I have or does it sound like something needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help! Have been too lazy to fix it since last week and now wanna cycle in the morning!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Ok adding slightly to my questions as I struggle with this....

Does the nipple have threads on it that grip on a hole in the wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If one spoke is broken then more will break if you keep riding the bike as the tension will be un-evenly spread over the wheel. So don't ride it until you can get it fixed if you can help it (max 10 min job in any bike shop and shouldn't cost more than 10-15e).
    It's unlikely that you'll be able to fix it with what you have as spokes don't generally come all the way loose, rather they tend to break. Check to see if there's a bit of spoke broken off still threaded into the nipple, if not you can try threading the nipple back on to the spoke. Generally you're supposed to use a spoke wrench to tighten nipples, an adjustable wrench or a pliers or something might do the job but it's probably just as likely to round it off. And no you don't tighten the nipple from the outside, you tighten the bit that pokes out of the stem, holding the spoke as the nipple tightens by threading on to the spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

holyboy over at bee cycles on scr is open on saturdays, really nice fella and i'm sure will help you out if needs be.

only about a 15min walk from our neck the woods!

If one spoke is broken then more will break if you keep riding the bike as the tension will be un-evenly spread over the wheel. So don't ride it until you can get it fixed if you can help it (max 10 min job in any bike shop and shouldn't cost more than 10-15e).
    It's unlikely that you'll be able to fix it with what you have as spokes don't generally come all the way loose, rather they tend to break. Check to see if there's a bit of spoke broken off still threaded into the nipple, if not you can try threading the nipple back on to the spoke. Generally you're supposed to use a spoke wrench to tighten nipples, an adjustable wrench or a pliers or something might do the job but it's probably just as likely to round it off. And no you don't tighten the nipple from the outside, you tighten the bit that pokes out of the stem, holding the spoke as the nipple tightens by threading on to the spoke.
    Thanks for that! The spoke will fit back into nipple but only just about which makes me think a bit is missing. It's kinda loose and no matter how much I spin the nipple its not gripping anything.
    G rock wrote: »
    holyboy over at bee cycles on scr is open on saturdays, really nice fella and i'm sure will help you out if needs be. only about a 15min walk from our neck the woods!
    Nice one thanks is that on the corner near Harold's Cross or just up towards Harold's Cross on the right? Any idea how early they'd be open?

In general are spare spokes and nipples a thing most cyclists keep a stock of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Up at dolphin's barn. Not even as far as harold's cross. Coming from our side it's before you come to leonard's corner.

beecycles.net I think is the website with opening times.

• Advertisement

G rock wrote: »
    Up at dolphin's barn. Not even as far as harold's cross. Coming from our side it's before you come to leonard's corner.

beecycles.net I think is the website with opening times.
    Thanks again! Not open til 10 so that's a bit late. Will try one of the places on Harold's Cross Road or else I also just found ThinkBike which seems to be near enough to there too.

Advertisement