Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence for Property

Options
  • 30-09-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be letting a house soon, and was wondering what is the story with the tv licence if i supply a tv.

I know if i dont supply ,im not the person who has the pay the licence but if i do supply one,is me who would be in trouble if a tv inspecter came to the house?

It will be a house sharing house paid per room.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

The tenants are responsible or the tv license not the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As above, regardless of who supplies the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The above is correct, however, you supplying the licence it is probably the most efficient thing to do, assuming the tenants want a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Might be less hassle for you if you just didn't supply a TV and let the tenants get their own if they want one. That way there'll be no rows over the TV licence or any issue if the TV gets broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Victor wrote: »
    The above is correct, however, you supplying the licence it is probably the most efficient thing to do, assuming the tenants want a TV.
    Why anybody should provide a licence on top of being nice enough to supply a TV is bewildering to me.
    I make sure the tenant is aware of who is reponsible for the licence and get them to sign it. If they don't want it I take it back. THe user pays for the licence and is responsible for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Why anybody should provide a licence on top of being nice enough to supply a TV is bewildering to me.
    I make sure the tenant is aware of who is reponsible for the licence and get them to sign it. If they don't want it I take it back. THe user pays for the licence and is responsible for it.

totally agree with this. I cant believe Victor actually suggested the landlord might just pay as its "easier" I dont know about anybody else but I sure as heck am never going to volunteer to pay somebody elses bill because its "easier".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Remember if there is a TV in the house, anywhere, even a 20 year old one in the garage, you need a licence.

A lot of people come on here and say "but we dont use it, its not plugged in" - does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

The tenant is definitely responsible for the licence but from experience, a lot of tenants tend to get stroppy about this, particularly if you've provided a TV (cheeky buggers). If they do kick up a fuss then tell them you'll take away the TV or direct them to Citizens Information where this little paragraph should clear it up for them;
    Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If the LL supplies a TV, then the LL has to replace it if it breaks.

Even if the house is empty and theres a TV you need a license.

If theres tenants and the LL supplies a TV then the tenants need the license.

Be easier simply not to supply one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Most LL's wouldnt supply a tv anyway- far too easy to be knicked!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm guessing a lot of old CRT TV's are ending up in rented accommodation.

Supplying anything thats required by law is pointless unless you are struggling to rent a place.

Advertisement