Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Centre For Sale

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I thought I read in the Limerick Post that the owner of Arthurs Quay (Tiernan Properties i think?) or some middle eastern investor was going to buy the place? And I was thinking I read that recently! Obviously not if the least productive city council in Ireland has the place now.

Yes one of the city council mouthpieces came out and namechecked yet another developer that is on the cusp of taking over the project and building there. Pretty much the same thing was said about four times last year with a different developer mentioned each time. With one of the mouthpieces coming out and claiming that developer X is just about to start work and look at how great we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

schmaire wrote: »
    Are you for real? If you don't like finding a car park space ( which there are plenty of ) buy a bike. For you to say that they should knock a whole Georgian block for a car park is laughable

A rat infested tumbling down Georgian block which up until recently had trees growing out of it to be correct, hardly a habitable building left on Patrick or Ellen Street by now.

What's so damn precious about that? "Part of what we were" is fine if you preserve and maintain it, letting it rot and decay is supposed to do what exactly?

I worked for a time when I could see for myself the state of the backs of those buildings on Rutland/Patrick and Ellen Streets at first hand. At that time many were still occupied (prob. 12 or so years ago), even then the state of the place was hardly what I'd have called pristine.

If we were so tied to the notion of preserving our Georgain heritage then we have a funny way of showing it.

Look down O'Connell Street sometime from say Cecil Street corner. Where is the symmetry of the original? Long gone. Take a walk up Catherine Street (crumbling in places) or William Street, where most upper floors are mainly uninhabitable. there are examples all over, Wickham & High Streets others that comes to mind. Limerick has knocked down plenty of Georgian houses and blocks in the past, what's so wonderful about this one? The boarded up windows?

The only Georgian area worth preserving is in the general vicinity of The Crescent / Upr. O'Connell St. and Pery Square areas imo.

As for wanting a "car park" at the comic-opera site, I meant tempoarily, if you bothered to read my post you'll have noted I would like to see an open market trading area/European style Plaza there eventually, rather than another glasshouse shopping mall.

And I have a bike, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 schmaire

Europa are you really so narrow minded that you feel that the block should be demolished when it is not beyond salvation. the next generation will be cursing our actions if we demolish the block rather than putting effort into restoring it. You say yourself that o'connell street etc are in an awful state but yet you wish to do the exact same with patrick street. Think of the bishop's palace 30 years ago, it was a shell. I would say that patrick street is in a lot better nick than a shell! We could make Patrick street a place worth preserving on par with pery square etc.
    P.S I did bother to read your post but merely disregarded it as I find it useless to even discuss a european style plaza if you wish to knock historic buildings encompassing it, where in europe do you see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

schmaire wrote: »
    Europa are you really so narrow minded that you feel that the block should be demolished when it is not beyond salvation. the next generation will be cursing our actions if we demolish the block rather than putting effort into restoring it. You say yourself that o'connell street etc are in an awful state but yet you wish to do the exact same with patrick street. Think of the bishop's palace 30 years ago, it was a shell. I would say that patrick street is in a lot better nick than a shell! We could make Patrick street a place worth preserving on par with pery square etc.
    P.S I did bother to read your post but merely disregarded it as I find it useless to even discuss a european style plaza if you wish to knock historic buildings encompassing it, where in europe do you see that!

Actually the initial surveyor reports from when work was originally was meant to start disagrees with you somewhat. A number of the buildings were listed to be destroyed as they were deemed unsafe to try and build around/onto

Advertisement