Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread Recipe

Options
  • 01-10-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any one has a nice bread recipe. Doesnt have to be fancy, just something delicious. Im trying my hand at baking some bread next week, and cant seem to find a recipe that I like. I've seen some of the stuff here that you guys have come up and would love some ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

This is a Delia one that I absolutely love and make again and again as it's eaten as soon as it's out of the oven and not a crumb is left behind

6 oz (175 g) parsnips (peeled weight)
    2 oz (50 g) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), cut into ¼ inch (5 mm) cubes
    1 rounded tablespoon chopped fresh sage
    8 oz (225 g) self-raising flour
    1½ level teaspoons salt
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon milk

For the topping:
    1 oz (25 g) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano) shavings
    a few whole small sage leaves
    a little extra flour for dusting
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C).
    Method
    First of all sift the flour and salt into a large, roomy bowl. Then put a grater in the bowl and coarsely grate the parsnips into the flour, then toss them around. After that, add the cubes of Parmesan and chopped sage and toss that in. Now lightly beat the eggs and milk together, then add this to the bowl a little at a time, mixing evenly with a palette knife. What you should end up with is a rough, rather loose, sticky dough, so don't worry what it looks like at this stage. Transfer this to the baking sheet and pat it gently into a 6 inch (15 cm) rough round, then make a cross with the blunt side of a knife. Now scatter the Parmesan shavings over the surface, followed by a sprinkling of flour. Finally, spoon the olive oil into a dish, dip each sage leaf in the oil and scatter them over the bread. Now it should go into the oven on a high shelf to bake for 45-50 minutes, by which time it will be golden and crusty. It then needs to go on a wire rack, then either serve it still warm or re-heat it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

The recipe that I use is the standard soda bread recipe which can be enhanced by what ever additional ingredients you have in the press (e.g. porridge oats, mixed seeds etc). The recipe I use is as follows:

450g wholemeal flour (sometimes I lighten this by using 225g wholemeal, 225g plain flour)
    400ml buttermilk
    1 tsp bread soda
    Pinch of salt

Method:
    Mix the dry ingredients together (including any additional items such as oats, seeds etc)
    Make a well in the centre, add the buttermilk until you have a sticky consistency (don't over mix)
    Transfer to baking tray/loaf tin
    Bake at 200 degrees c and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I posted this before as part of a brown bread thread. This makes a very nice brown bread loaf.

8 oz. whole meal flour
    8 oz. self-rising flour
    1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
    1 level teaspoon baking soda
    1 individual size pot hazelnut yogurt (125 ml)
    1 large egg
    1 cup milk

oven 375F

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease loaf pan generously.

Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together yogurt, egg and milk. Add to the dry ingredients and mix to make a soft dough. Turn into the loaf pan.

With a greased spatula, smooth out the top. Bake for 15 minutes at 375F, then reduce heat to 350F and continue baking for 40 minutes.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then continue to cool on a wire rack. Cut when completely cooled.

Note: For two loaves, just double the recipe.

From
    http://www.littleshamrocks.com/Irish-Bread-Scone-Recipes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

Hi Triseke. This is a simple one that I've tried and it worked out fine (phew!)
    APPLE AND NUT LOAF

1tsp yeast
    450g strong wholemeal bread flour
    1tsp salt
    30g honey
    30g butter
    130g grated dessert apple (about 2) mixed with 1tbsp lemon juice
    150ml milk
    100ml water
    25g hazelnuts chopped*
    25g walnuts chopped*
    25g blanched almonds chopped lengthways*
    30g currants*

Put all the ingredients in the pan in the order listed above with the exception of the dispenser ingredients.
    Place all other ingredients in the dispenser or keep them in a little bowl to add when it beeps.
    Set the bread maker to MENU 6 (5hrs) or WHOLEWHEAT RAISIN BAKE PROGRAM, Large size.
    Remove the loaf and allow to cool.

Note: The apple gives this bread sweetness but the wholemeal flour means that it is still “bready” enough to make a great ploughman’s.

* Add these ingredients to the dispenser or on the raisin beep.

Works with most breadmakers. (I used it with the Panasonic SD2500WXC)

There's a photo here:

http://theideaskitchen.co.uk/cook/recipe-finder/recipe/?rid=781

Advertisement