Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veronica guerin

• 01-10-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭

This could be a touchy subject for some but here goes.

Do you think she went too far? As in do you think she should have stopped what she was doing and let it be.

After her family was threatened I know a few people who said that should have been it, She knew who she was dealing with and what they were capable of doing but kept on going. Some people call it bravery, Some stupidity.

Edited:Ruining what could be a good conversation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nobody deserves what she got.. such a stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maybe its her, maybe its maybeleene

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nobody deserves what she got.. such a stupid question.

What about the rest of the post, Do you think she went too far? Should she have stopped after her family was threatened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Certainly didn't deserve it. She would have backed off if she suspected that she was going to be murdered. To think otherwise would suggest she had a death wish and that is fanciful.

She was exposing bad guys making a living off drug prohibition who were living lavish lifestyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

baraca wrote: »

Do you think she went too far? As in do you think she should have stopped what she was doing and let it be.

After her family was threatened I know a few people who said that should have been it, She knew who she was dealing with and what they were capable of doing but kept on going. Some people call it bravery, Some stupidity.

Did she deserve it?

Stupid question, of course she did not deserve to get killed,she was doing her job.

• Advertisement

Alright the last question shouldn't have been included, It wasn't my opinion but it could have been someone elses. If everyone could give their opinion on the rest of the post it would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

She Sacrificed her life to save the likes of me and you. She did well IMO.

Of course she didn't deserve it?

Why do you think she deseved it OP? :trollfacé:

Alright the last question shouldn't have been included, It wasn't my opinion but it could have been someone elses. If everyone could give their opinion on the rest of the post it would be cool.

She did what she thought was right, I'm sure she knew her life was in danger because of it.
    I don't know if she should have stopped or not, if it was me I would probably do what she did and fight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nobody deserves the end she met. I admire her dedication to her role as an investigating journalist and the lenghts she went to, to expose members of organised crime.
    The question is did she let her crusade against these scumbags go too far. Personally I feel as soon as she and her family were threatened she should of pulled back. The cause wasn't worth losing her life for imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What about the rest of the post, Do you think she went too far? Should she have stopped after her family was threatened.

She was an investigative journalist.. one of the best the country has ever seen, and perhaps will ever see. She didn't go too far.. she went as far as her occupation allowed her to go. Should she have just ignored everything that she knew? The Gardai couldn't have acted on any of it, so she chased it herself, and because of that people were held accountable. To this day; the work she undertook goes towards disenfranchising criminals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

She was doing her job, she was doing it well.
    She was an intelligent woman whom I'm sure consulted with her family as to if she should continue or not.
    No wife/mother(?) would just carry on regardless without talking to their family before continuing with their worried perhaps but still express best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

She was doing her job as an investigative reporter,she had a big ego, The Sunday Independent was pushing her for more & more real crime stories,But no matter the gilligan gang didn't have to kill her.I am sure she would have moved on to the real gangters as in FF politicians.

Of course she didn't deserve it?

Why do you think she deseved it OP? :trollfacé:

I don't.

She Sacrificed her life to save the likes of me and you. She did well IMO.

A bit like Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Extremely retarded question. Of course she didn't f*cking deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

She did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Usually when I get a fcukin bullet in the leg I call a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a lot more to the Veronica Guerin story than what was portrayed in the film of the months leading up to her death.

Her death was a terrible event, something which of course, she did not deserve.

There's also the argument however, that if you remove the criminal element to drugs, then you remove the need for criminal gangs. But that's another argument, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Cate Blanchett is a top ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

The film Veronica Guerin is on BBC1 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Veronica is a true Irish legend. i think she was of the firm belief that the scum she exposed simply had'nt the balls to kill her. she was right but the scum got even greater scum to carry out their dirty work and gun her down.
    she exposed what our farce of a justice system failed miserably to expose,
    a justice system that was designed for the dark ages, aided and abetted by a shambolic government who were busy plotting a property bubble with their banker/speculator/developer cronies in the comfort of "the tent".
    These scum are on par with the scum that murdered Veronica.
    A lot of good has come from her death,but not enough. Thanks to the likes of Paul Williams the work continues.
    She was the bravest of the brave. May she rest in peace.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Cate Blanchett is a top ride.

Watch Notes On A Scandal. Whohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

washman3 wrote: »
    Thanks to the likes of Paul Williams the work continues.

You're havin' a laugh - Paul Williams is a muppet who is either clever enough to make up shit that people believe or stupid enough be fed stories from people who think he's an idiot.

Or a combination of both.

Either way, he's hardly what I'd call an investigative journalist.

Usually when I get a fcukin bullet in the leg I call a halt.

when you're paint-balling

You're havin' a laugh - Paul Williams is a muppet who is either clever enough to make up shit that people believe or stupid enough be fed stories from people who think he's an idiot.

Not forgetting how protected he is. I dunno if he has as much protection now with the cut backs.

You posting from "the Joy" ??
    thought 7.30 was lock up time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

washman3 wrote: »
    Veronica is a true Irish legend. i think she was of the firm belief that the scum she exposed simply had'nt the balls to kill her. she was right but the scum got even greater scum to carry out their dirty work and gun her down.
    she exposed what our farce of a justice system failed miserably to expose,
    a justice system that was designed for the dark ages, aided and abetted by a shambolic government who were busy plotting a property bubble with their banker/speculator/developer cronies in the comfort of "the tent".
    These scum are on par with the scum that murdered Veronica.
    A lot of good has come from her death,but not enough. Thanks to the likes of Paul Williams the work continues.
    She was the bravest of the brave. May she rest in peace.!

Paul Williams is more of a sensationalist journalist more so and loves himself.
    Other than that I agree with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

Edited:Ruining what could be a good conversation.

she died in 1996, why are you bringing this up. Surely you have something more current you could come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

No one 'deserves' to be murdered, obviously; even someone who willingly works for the Sunday Independent.
    But it's legitimate to ponder on the motives and purpose of any 'investigative crime-reporter' and the owners and editors of the papers they work for, and to wonder if they simply exacerbate the situation; they're ultimately only there to sell papers.
    Should she not have done what she did? I suppose that was up to her.

Advertisement