Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veronica guerin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

If we had more like her the country would be a better place. Unfortunately, it took her death to jolt the authorities - and normal citizens - into action. The Gardai were funded properly and the pressure kept up on the crims - and they collapsed. And what happened then? Back to normal. Civil servants and budgets running the guards. Resources strangled and hey voila - you have today's society.

Until everyone wakes up to the fact that these people do not work 9-5 and are not constrained by some pen-pushing Excel jockey charged with a budget then nothing will change. Like always, it is a minority of scumbags who cause the problem. One City comes to mind immediately. They hide behind 'the law' and appear more au fait with it then those charged with enforcing it.

You have to show these people that you have a bigger stick. And beat them hard with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think what went too far was the govts reaction to it an the crime bills, specifically regarding bail.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

washman3 wrote: »
    Evil can only prevail while good people stand aside and do nothing.!

In Irish terms that means "im alright Jack fcuk you"

She'd done her bit
    The cops job the. Not hers she was in it to sell papers and she deluded herself that she be ok

And the guys were importing drugs they weren't the cause they were the symptom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I think that the coverage some of these fellas get might be more of a hindrance then a help. Might be better to let the state address the issue and leave those involved in this sort of trade be anonymous until they get to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

She Sacrificed her life to save the likes of me and you. She did well IMO.

Was it in vain? Whil some of the people involved in her murder are now behind bars doesnt the status quo remain to a large degree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Freddie59 wrote: »

Until everyone wakes up to the fact that these people do not work 9-5 and are not constrained by some pen-pushing Excel jockey charged with a budget then nothing will change. Like always, it is a minority of scumbags who cause the problem.

Impossible task at the same time

When I was in the IFSC in Dublin, there was gardaí down at Sheriff St all day every day. I forget the exact time, probably at least a year.

During the day there were armed detectives there too.
    The whole thing must have cost millions.
    I often got stopped on my motorbike, no issue with this as a lad on a motorbike is the kind of person you'd expect to be involved in a shooting.

And the taxi drivers would always comment the moment the gardaí left the area trouble would kick off again.
    They were right, the teams of gardaí left, there was at least one shooting soon afterwards.

Millions and millions spent, multiple garda deployed there and the end result was it just delayed the inevitable, didn't solve anything

I don't know the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

She Sacrificed her life to save the likes of me and you.

What embarrassing tabloid nonsense. As if she woke up and said "Well, I'm going to be shot for this work (shooting journalists being a long established hobby of Dublin criminals) but I'll continue on doing so because I'm "saving the lives of ordinary people".

Grrrrr. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In hindsight, she was careless. She was also brave.
    At the time, journalists were considered off-limits. Prior to her murder, a few slaps and nonsensical threats were the currency of gangland. Even now, nobody thinks that killling her was a good business decision. The last thing that gangland needed was the CAB.
    She did lift the lid on a lot of worms.

ps. her impact would not have been the same had she written for The Catholic Herald, An Poblacht or the Sligo Champion. The Sindo has a huge readership and therefore reaches the biggest audience possible. Good tactics for an investigative journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Veronica is a true Irish legend.

Reality check: she was writing for the Sunday Independent, the greatest rag paper in the history of Irish journalism, a paper which has destroyed many lives, has more agendas than any other section of Irish society and has conspired against government policy, the peace process and against shareholders in companies (like Eircom) which the Sunday Independent's major shareholder ("Sir" Anthony O'Reilly) then moved in to buy at a cheap price after months of its journalists undermining the share price. And so much more. She was well paid for her work. She never expected to be killed, particularly since criminals had not crossed that line before. If she's a "hero" - and far too many people here are anxious to defend her as such - she's an accidental one. This truth will not go down well with the more emotional types, but so be it.

She was writing for the Sunday Independent, not the 'Prisoners of Conscience' section of the Amnesty International updates. It's time people grew up and stopped treating her like she was.

Andrea: Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero.
    Galileo: No, Andrea: Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.
    Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo (1938)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

Me again! wrote: »
    she died in 1996, why are you bringing this up. Surely you have something more current you could come up with?

Yes 1996, all of 15 years ago.!! And it should be brought up every week for the next 15 years and rammed down the throats of the people that failed her. :mad:

this thread won't bring her back or change anything!! 15 years on and a pointless thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why would it be a touchy subject for anyone here OP? Unless it was a personal loss of course. She was a very brave woman, doing an excellent job. Since there was no precedent for this type of murder, I don't think she recklessly endangered herself without any regard for family. Her murder and the circumstance behind it was a tragic first in this country and could not have been foreseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

In hindsight Veronica was both extremely brave and extremely reckless. But I suppose 15 years ago we didn't realise how ruthless the drugs gangs are and lengths the barons will go to for money.

Me personally, I'd have stopped when my family were threatened. A noble cause to be sure, but nothing is worth losing your loved ones for imo, nor your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

She Sacrificed her life to save the likes of me and you.
    What is this even supposed to mean?

Advertisement