Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turns out my old dell junker is OC'able...

Options
  • 01-10-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Never really done much in terms of CPU OCs before.

Working on an old E6700, I've got it from 2.66 to 3.1, but then on running Prime(Large FFTs) core 0 is miscalculating and failing. I've pulled back to 3012Mhz and upped the mem from 100 - 115, which seems to make the first core more stable, but it always kicks the bucket after a minute or two.

As it runs cool I was hoping to get a little more out of it(I'm a student and with my bike being robbed recently the new build has been pushed back at least 6 months). She's running at 1.8v atm, would this need to be pushed to increase stability(locked bios is a problem) or will further pushing the mem help?

When I sell the wii I may stick those funds into a Q6700 to replace it, if I can get a cheap one, but in the meantime getting this to 3.2 would be nice.

Cheers,
    LB.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Hey guys,

Working on an old E6700, I've got it from 2.66 to 3.1, but then on running Prime(Large FFTs) core 0 is miscalculating and failing. I've pulled back to 3012Mhz and upped the mem from 100 - 115, which seems to make the first core more stable, but it always kicks the bucket after a minute or two.

As it runs cool I was hoping to get a little more out of it(I'm a student and with my bike being robbed recently the new build has been pushed back at least 6 months). She's running at 1.8v atm, would this need to be pushed to increase stability(locked bios is a problem) or will further pushing the mem help?

When I sell the wii I may stick those funds into a Q6700 to replace it, if I can get a cheap one, but in the meantime getting this to 3.2 would be nice.

Cheers,
    LB.

How much you selling the wii for? might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Hey guys,

Cheers,
    LB.

Well, if your rig is still running after a week I recommend seriously reducing voltage. 1.8V is just insane, and if you only gained roughly 20% thats even worse.
    Now when you say BIOS is locked what options available? FSB and multi I guess, vcore, NB, DRAM, PLL voltages??
    Further pushing the memory speed will not help.

You are not doing any good running large ffts, try small and test the cpu itself. Then once you achieved acceptable OC proceed to clocking the ram.

First things first. Disable C1E, Vonderpool all power saving mode.
    If there is any option to decrease vdroop, do it.

Good luck and as always with clocking, be patient.

Advertisement